diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Battery Rack, These Bus Bars are Terrible!!

Jirzlee

Is anyone else on the forum having these problems and/or actually received a real fix?

My original bus bars were unusable due to the threaded inserts being poorly installed, deeply recessed, and coming out of the bar with very minimal torque. Signature Solar was responsive and I received replacement bus bars from them.

The bad news is these replacements possibly even worse than the original, unusable bars.

On these replacements, some of the threaded inserts are crooked (again), some are set into the bar very deep (again), some are sticking out, and most have large burrs remaining from the drilling process which will keep any connections from seating flat or having good contact area. I've attached some pictures trying to show some of these issues. Really, the quality on these is completely terrible! These electrical connections need to be safe and secure.

Attachments

• 20230711_181511.jpg
    20230711_181511.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230711_181629.jpg
    20230711_181629.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230711_181847.jpg
    20230711_181847.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230711_182057.jpg
    20230711_182057.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 20230711_182255.jpg
    20230711_182255.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 27
  • 20230711_182415.jpg
    20230711_182415.jpg
    274.8 KB · Views: 29
Geez I thought this was fixed months ago.
I'd drill them out and use a bolt and nut to secure your ring terminals. (don't forget the ox guard)
Those photos are alarming if this is actually new stock.

Poor selection and/or application of a self clenching nut. The problem is that they probably made literally a ton of these before they discovered the problem. Now that they are made, repairing is problematic. They may need custom fasteners$$$ to do it right.

Geez I thought this was fixed months ago.
I'd drill them out and use a bolt and nut to secure your ring terminals. (don't forget the ox guard)
Those photos are alarming if this is actually new stock.

I rec'd these replacements about 3 weeks ago, just haven't had the time to deal with what I could see was a problem..

I rec'd these replacements about 3 weeks ago, just haven't had the time to deal with what I could see was a problem..
The posts I was thinking of were much older than 3 weeks... I'm sure they will make things right but I'd still drill them out and run them. What's that time word you mentioned ? where the heck does it go.

@SignatureSolarJames

Is anyone else on the forum having these problems and/or actually received a real fix?

My original bus bars were unusable due to the threaded inserts being poorly installed, deeply recessed, and coming out of the bar with very minimal torque. Signature Solar was responsive and I received replacement bus bars from them.

The bad news is these replacements possibly even worse than the original, unusable bars.

On these replacements, some of the threaded inserts are crooked (again), some are set into the bar very deep (again), some are sticking out, and most have large burrs remaining from the drilling process which will keep any connections from seating flat or having good contact area. I've attached some pictures trying to show some of these issues. Really, the quality on these is completely terrible! These electrical connections need to be safe and secure.
We have been getting the situation fixed. We have good connection bars available now if yours are lacking. We are also refunding half the cabinet cost if you drill out the connections yourself.
This situation should be over as of a couple weeks ago with new shipments, adjusted our processes to prevent this in the future

I rec'd tracking info stating that new busbars will arrive within next 2 days. I'll report back on how they look.

Rec'd them today. They look much better.

Appear to still be using threaded inserts but they are a different design and installed from the back side now so they can't just pull out (at least that's my assumption, the shrink tubing covers the back so its hard to see the details of those inserts).

For the front side, I still wish the hole for the screw wasn't drilled so much larger than the screw thread diameter but I think an oversize washer will help that, and I'm not seeing the raised burrs any more so the connections should lay flat and make good contact.

Rec'd them today. They look much better.

Appear to still be using threaded inserts but they are a different design and installed from the back side now so they can't just pull out (at least that's my assumption, the shrink tubing covers the back so its hard to see the details of those inserts).

For the front side, I still wish the hole for the screw wasn't drilled so much larger than the screw thread diameter but I think an oversize washer will help that, and I'm not seeing the raised burrs any more so the connections should lay flat and make good contact.
That’s an improvement! To help the lug lay flat and not cone or funnel the lugs into the buss you could use a hardened washer between the head of the bolt and top of the lug. They sell them on Amazon. It doesn’t have to be stainless.

Last edited:
Back