diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter help.

johnskdyvn

Having a problem with the chargeverter I received a couple of weeks ago.
I have 3 generators. A Honda 2000, a Champion 2500, and a Champion 4350/3500 dual fuel. The plug in cord that came with the chargeverter doesn’t match any of the outlets on my generator.
I called signature solar today and they suggested I take apart the chargeverter and put on another plug that works with my generators. There HAS to be another solution to this?!? Is there an easier fix to this? Is there an adapter???
Also, Is there an adapter that can connect the chargeverter cable to a 20a wall outlet?

1st pic is my champion port. The second pic is the cord that came attached to the chargeverter.

Attachments

• E67A51B5-E20C-42A8-9BD2-FF5410C1093B.jpeg
    E67A51B5-E20C-42A8-9BD2-FF5410C1093B.jpeg
    138.9 KB · Views: 36
  • EDB4A073-7333-40A5-94F2-203F557FB866.jpeg
    EDB4A073-7333-40A5-94F2-203F557FB866.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 38
Adapter is available on Amazon, however, it doesn't have the right pin out. If you use the adapter, then you have to modify the wires on the plug of the chargeverter. If you don't know what you are doing, ask a friend who does. Then mark the plug to NEVER plug into a 240v socket.

You will then be limited to 120v charging limit.

Last edited:
You can purchase the proper cord caps and make your own adapters using SO cord or an extension cord (usually the fat yellow type) with #10 conductors following the pin outs in the manual. And/Or you could sell the 3 x 120V generators and get a 5000W to 7500W generator with the proper 240V L14-30 receptacle.

Do Not alter the male cord end.

This will not work because L1 & L2 are bridged internally!

1.5FT Nema L5-30P to L14-30R Adapter Cable, 30-Amp L5-30 Male Generator Male to L14-30 Transfer Switch 4-Prong Female Adapter STW 10AWG, 30A Generator 3-Prong to 30A 4-Prong https://a.co/d/c0C3ISX

Like they said above. It’s only going to cost you $10 for the proper plug, $3/ft for 10/3 sjoow.

Last edited:
This will not work because L1 & L2 are bridged internally!

1.5FT Nema L5-30P to L14-30R Adapter Cable, 30-Amp L5-30 Male Generator Male to L14-30 Transfer Switch 4-Prong Female Adapter STW 10AWG, 30A Generator 3-Prong to 30A 4-Prong https://a.co/d/c0C3ISX

Like they said above. It’s only going to cost you $10 for the proper plug, $3/ft for 10/3 sjoow.
As I am completely braindead when it comes to electrical terminology in regards to the prior responses...is the link you shared the correct adapter? it looks like it. Do i have to do any re-wiring of the cord that came with the chargeverter or is this adapter just a plug and play? When i spoke with signature solar yesterday they said if i tamper with the cord it came with it would immediately void the warranty on the product. Thank you for your help.

Sell your 120vac generators and buy a 240vac split phase generator with a Nema L14-30 or L14-50 receptacle. You can run the Chargeverter with adapters but will only be getting slightly more than half of its rated output.

Sell your 120vac generators and buy a 240vac split phase generator with a Nema L14-30 or L14-50 receptacle. You can run the Chargeverter with adapters but will only be getting slightly more than half of its rated output.
While i wish i could buy a new generator at the moment, its just not in the budget. I broke the bank with over 10K invested into my solar system already. I was hoping to use a generator that doesn't GULP the fuel down. Sure don't want to use 5 gallons of gas to top off my batteries every other day or so.

That being said, if i come up with more cash i wouldn't mind having a larger generator on hand just for the reasons you stated. Thank you.

The wiring diagram on the online manual will work if you follow it. It’s not overly complicated. Take your time. SS is going to release a 120v adapter at some point. In the meantime maybe give it a try.

As I am completely braindead when it comes to electrical terminology in regards to the prior responses...is the link you shared the correct adapter? it looks like it. Do i have to do any re-wiring of the cord that came with the chargeverter or is this adapter just a plug and play? When i spoke with signature solar yesterday they said if i tamper with the cord it came with it would immediately void the warranty on the product. Thank you for your help.
No, it has L1 & L2 bridged or “shorted together” internally. Do not use that adapter cable above.

If you want to use existing cord on charger, then you’re either going to have to build yourself an adapter cable that goes from your generator plug to a receptacle that you can plug the cord into or wait until SS gets the adapter made. Good luck. Get a licensed or qualified electrician to help you if needed, otherwise the magic smoke may be released.

Attachments

• 97F26187-C3EF-44BA-B902-106FFE03AE02.jpeg
    97F26187-C3EF-44BA-B902-106FFE03AE02.jpeg
    310.8 KB · Views: 74
No, it has L1 & L2 bridged or “shorted together” internally. Do not use that adapter cable above.

If you want to use existing cord on charger, then you’re either going to have to build yourself an adapter cable that goes from your generator plug to a receptacle that you can plug the cord into or wait until SS gets the adapter made. Good luck. Get a licensed or qualified electrician to help you if needed, otherwise the magic smoke may be released.
Thanks for the information. I have no idea what L1 is. I have no idea what L2 is. I have no idea what "bridged" together means. The link you attached initially looks like it would work, but i will go with what you say. Why in the world would signature solar sell something that they say can be used with practically any generator (AS LONG AS I AM AN ELECTRICIAN AND KNOW HOW THE INTERNAL SCHEMATICS ARE FOR AN ADAPTER THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WORKS BUT IN REALITY, DOESN'T). Haha.

What was Will Prowse using in his video when he said he had an adapter for his generator when he was testing out the Chargeverter?

Thanks for the information. I have no idea what L1 is. I have no idea what L2 is. I have no idea what "bridged" together means. The link you attached initially looks like it would work, but i will go with what you say. Why in the world would signature solar sell something that they say can be used with practically any generator (AS LONG AS I AM AN ELECTRICIAN AND KNOW HOW THE INTERNAL SCHEMATICS ARE FOR AN ADAPTER THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WORKS BUT IN REALITY, DOESN'T). Haha.

What was Will Prowse using in his video when he said he had an adapter for his generator when he was testing out the Chargeverter?
Will wired an adapter himself. It can be used with any generator. The 120v adapter just isn’t available yet. You could say they should have waited till they had the adapter before selling it. But then most people are using it with 240v generator plugs. So I think they are pleased they didn’t have to wait longer.

Last edited:
Would not be hard to wire up an adapter. It is only 3 wires with 1 of those being a ground. Just make sure you follow the schematic posted by RV10F. Pick up a corresponding male plug to generator and a female plug to battery charger.

That being said, if i come up with more cash i wouldn't mind having a larger generator on hand just for the reasons you stated. Thank you.
Your generators are all 120V. That's the issue you're having.
Will the chargeverter function with 120V?

The other issue I see is indications that initial start up surge is going to sink many generators (under 10KW):
1681313179060.png

Your generators are all 120V. That's the issue you're having.
Will the chargeverter function with 120V?

The other issue I see is indications that initial start up surge is going to sink many generators (under 10KW):
View attachment 144363
It will run at 120V, at half the rated output. But it has to be wired correctly.

Me, I'd put a new plug on it that works with what you're doing, wiring it to match the diagram. Forget adapters or other such nonsense. Then, if you ever did get a bigger generator later, put the old plug back on it.

If I get one of these (I would like to), I'm just planning on hardwiring it into my incoming line from the gen input box outside. Generator can run outside the house, the chargeverter would be where the cells are. There is no way a 10ft cord on the chargeverter is anywhere near long enough to position the generator in a safe place based on where the batteries are.

It will run at 120V, at half the rated output. But it has to be wired correctly.
If it's sinking a 10KW generac at 240V, it's going to sink the generators that the OP has listed. The biggest plug on any of the generators listed is a 30A @ 120V (28A continuous). Good to know you can run it on 120V.

If it's sinking a 10KW generac at 240V, it's going to sink the generators that the OP has listed. The biggest plug on any of the generators listed is a 30A @ 120V (28A continuous). Good to know you can run it on 120V.
Until they come out with a soft start you’ll just have to push the button twice. It’s not really complicated. Unless of course someone has it set up for an auto start. In that case I’d wait for a soft start option.

I guess the biggest problem i have is that it says on signature solar's website that it can be used with a 240 OR a 120V system with an adapter. If there is no adapter that works, then why post it on their website? i need to find an electrician. Unfortunately, I live so far off grid (accessible only by atv (6 miles back in the woods)), that i don't think i could get an electrician back there to help unless i pay him a premium. I do appreciate all the replies. I guess i'm just a little ticked that they say it'll work with any generator, but even a 10K generator is quitting on startup. I'd like to get my solar up and running as soon as i can, but i need a 48v battery charger. At $400, i thought my problem was fixed.

Back