diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter vs AC-In on Inverter?

In Closed loop, the dry contacts are activated by a set SOC %.
In open loop, the dry contacts are activated by voltage.
If charging hard, the surface charge voltage will be higher. So, you will have to adjust for that.
But it's just a matter of fine tuning the settings, like anything else.
The charging amps will be a constant, in this setup. So, it won't be hard to calibrate.

Was going to make a new thread but this topic is pretty close so will ask here.

I have a Victron 6.5kW AIO (Maple Leaf 6500EX which is same as LV6548).

Its in a backyard shed and a 20 kW stack will be attached soon. I don't have grid power permanently in the back yard but can run a 10 or 12 gauge 15A extension if I need to charge the pack in a pinch.

From the sounds of it if I connect this to the AC-Input of the AIO it will charge the pack but will also take over all the loads which is not ideal. In this case I understand it is more appropriate to use the Chargeverter and charge the pack directly so that the AIO does not switch over the Utility bypass and this way will avoid all the G-N bonding and ground loop shinanigans.

Same general query as the OP,... slightly different reason.

This could also be useful when you have a situation like mine, if you connect solar "normally", you have to go on TOU rates (that are higher). If you did something like this, you're isolating from the grid, you would legitimately NOT be connecting solar to the grid, you'd be connecting a big battery charger to the grid as your only load. Really good way to possibly get around situations like I'm in where, yes, I could put up solar, but the electric company, because of the rate change, would capture much (perhaps all) the benefit for themselves. I'd use less power but pay more (potentially a LOT more) for each KW consumed because I have solar.

Back