diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter

Yup
I didn't see the "bridged" until I zoomed in.
Good catch.
I agree, best to make your own.
But make sure that it doesn't get used for anything else. It could damage equipment, as it's only for this particular situation.

Last edited:
You will definitely have to make your own adapter.
You won't find a listed adapter that swaps a hot to neutral. This would be along the same lines as a suicide cord.

The more I think about it. The only way to do it to meet code. Would be to cut the end off and replace it with the end you need.

I'm trying to figure out what scenario would call for bridging the hot to two prongs on the four prong plug? The only situation I'm aware of for using all four prongs would be 240v. Am I missing something?

I'm trying to figure out what scenario would call for bridging the hot to two prongs on the four prong plug? The only situation I'm aware of for using all four prongs would be 240v. Am I missing something?

Plugging a 50A RV into a 30A source requires the L be shorted to the L1 and L2 of the 50A RV input, or all items on the L2 leg will be dead.

Plugging a 50A RV into a 30A source requires the L be shorted to the L1 and L2 of the 50A RV input, or all items on the L2 leg will be dead.
Okay, that makes sense. I have some friends that RV and I swear they bought the adapters already pinned out. I know they use something when they hit a park that only has 30a. But I digress. Thanks for the explanation.

Here we go:

attachment.php

Okay, that makes sense. I have some friends that RV and I swear they bought the adapters already pinned out. I know they use something when they hit a park that only has 30a. But I digress. Thanks for the explanation.
Yes, that's a standard code compliant adapter.
What this charger requires (changing a hot pin to a neutral pin) would not be code compliant. And therefore it would have to be a diy adapter. And care would have to be taken of its use. (Only for this charger)

I'm seriously considering one of these eventually so I can use my 120V generator to charge batteries back up if grid is down and solar is weak. I'd just wire the 30A invoming line from the generator directly to the chargeverter - chop the plug off and stick it in a junction box. Yeah, it would be hardwired, but the only thing I'd use it for is with the generator, so why have a wonky "miswired" plug.

If you only plan to use it in one situation. Match the end, replace the end,or hard wire it.
If I wanted to use it on multiple power sources. I would replace the end with a proprietary male end. And make proprietary female to different standard male cord ends.

I'm tempted too. My split phase genny has the twist lock plug.

The reality is that I just need to get my victrons properly wired to the generator... right now, only one leg is wired to the L1 inverter, so I'm stuck at 15A/120V charging. Can double it by using both legs. Should be more than enough, and the Victrons have no issue with the filthy power from the Predator. There's also the benefit of the BMS/GX control of the Quattro charging as well.

The chargeverter is just as cool as shit though!

Interesting. Looks like it's basically a common wide range switching power supply in a high amperage example. Probably an isolated power supply, so they don't have to care what incoming voltage the normally neutral wire is.

Unfortunately, that results in a dangerous state. Probably would have been much better to add a 120V coil NO relay across the neutral and L2 terminals. If it sees 120V across that, it closes and wires for 240V operation, otherwise it sits for 120V plug in. Any other ideas for a simple way to make this safe on the inside for standard adapter plugs to work?

Interesting. Looks like it's basically a common wide range switching power supply in a high amperage example. Probably an isolated power supply, so they don't have to care what incoming voltage the normally neutral wire is.

Unfortunately, that results in a dangerous state. Probably would have been much better to add a 120V coil NO relay across the neutral and L2 terminals. If it sees 120V across that, it closes and wires for 240V operation, otherwise it sits for 120V plug in. Any other ideas for a simple way to make this safe on the inside for standard adapter plugs to work?
You can't build a charger that does what this does for less than twice what this charger costs.
It was only possible because the board already existed.
It's a standard inverter/charger board that is incorporated in every Voltronics split-phase AIO.
So if the cord end that comes on it doesn't work for your needs. Just replace it for whatever you need.
You can't beat the price for what it is.

Way more complicated than needs to.be. I’ll either buy a genny with 240 or buy another charger

If replacing a cord end is too complicated.
Then I would agree that this isn't the charger for you.
I,can swap out the cord no problem. The adaptors was getting confusing. But honeslty if I’m buying this big a charger I’d want a new genny to support it (240). Some of the bigger predators look like they’d work

I,can swap out the cord no problem. The adaptors was getting confusing. But honeslty if I’m buying this big a charger I’d want a new genny to support it (240). Some of the bigger predators look like they’d work
I wouldn't bother with a code violation adapter. (Not safe to have one lying around)
And I agree that a 240v generator would be the best way to go. Fast charging and better fuel efficiency.

I wouldn't bother with a code violation adapter. (Not safe to have one lying around)
And I agree that a 240v generator would be the best way to go. Fast charging and better fuel efficiency.
Yeah but when you already have a 120V generator that works for the already rare times it is needed, kinda feels like why bother spending way more $ on a bigger one? That's where I'm at.

Back