diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter

Maybe. The process by which these work - is often charge hard, float down. It's going to be unpredictable how they work together. Say they might kick into "float" together where was with a single charger, you'd still be charging with more current.
Chargeverter has only one mode setting.
Go

No issues on my end 3xMPPT and 1CV...just keep the maximum battery charge rate within specifications. (make sure you don't try to pump 340 amps in to a single battery if its not rated for that.

The CV charge rate tappers off as the battery voltage increases. As the MPPTs pump out more current the battery voltage increases. In return the CV reduces current as the delta between battery voltage and CV charge voltage shrinks.

Maybe. The process by which these work - is often charge hard, float down. It's going to be unpredictable how they work together. Say they might kick into "float" together where was with a single charger, you'd still be charging with more current.

I heard that SS is advising to turn off solar when using the chargeverter. Didn't see that in the manual anywhere and didn't make a whole lot of sense to me as to why they would be making that advisement.

To avoid backfeeding the chargeverter. Let's say the Chargeverter is set for 55 volts, and the SS charges at 57 volts. Could that be a problem?

Also may prevent the SS from using PV to charge the battery if it sees the high voltage.

To avoid backfeeding the chargeverter. Let's say the Chargeverter is set for 55 volts, and the SS charges at 57 volts. Could that be a problem?

Also may prevent the SS from using PV to charge the battery if it sees the high voltage.

The CV should just let charging amps run to zero. It's already designed to output 57V, so the output end can be expected to have a bit of margin for static voltage against it to exceed that. Worst case the CV sees a voltage sufficiently higher than it's set for and shuts down, but I think Tim has already shown it doesn't do that within reasonable charge voltages.

If it does, it should be removed from the market. Not only should it not be ON in that case, you would need to disconnect it when not in use.

If voltage is that high, either the battery likely does not need to be charged from the chargeverter, or there are some pretty substantial wiring problems.

My clamp meter detected 0.00 amps so zero measurable back feed (with my clamp meter) but the CV lcd display remains on when the unit is unplugged and the DC breaker is on. So must have some feed from the batteries to power the lcd.

You shouldn't need the chargeverter if the sun is shining. But even if you choose to. It won't cause any problems.
I have tested it in many scenarios. And am willing to test any suggestions that I haven't done yet. I'm not currently using it. But I have left it connected. In case I need to test anything else.

My clamp meter detected 0.00 amps so zero measurable back feed (with my clamp meter) but the CV lcd display remains on when the unit is unplugged and the DC breaker is on. So must have some feed from the batteries to power the lcd.
I have read as much as 0.4a (approximately 20w) idle consumption.

Forget what I said.
Just tested with my $1,100 Fluke. 0a at 3 decimal points.
That's what I get for using a lower quality meter, before.

Whatever the DC only idle current is.
I can at least say that it's negligible.

Comment deleted.

Last edited:
It's gotten pretty quiet in here lately..... everyone still happy with these units, no surprises? Will loves his, other than a few small cabling issues and the issues I had re ordering which they say are worked out, everyone happy, good to order?

It's gotten pretty quiet in here lately..... everyone still happy with these units, no surprises? Will loves his, other than a few small cabling issues and the issues I had re ordering which they say are worked out, everyone happy, good to order?
Still working. To be fair 1 week of sold sun so it's been sitting turned off for 9 days.

diy solar

diy solar
Back