diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Inverters Couldn't Make The Grade

defelker

Started out with the EG4 8K inverter, kept getting battery comm. errors that would shut the inverter off(You have to use battery comm. for generator control). Tech support acknowledged the battery comm issue. I asked if the 18KW would solve the problem, they said oh yes. Got the 18KW installed and found out that the generator start feature didn't work at all(not configured in the firmware). Ended up replacing the 18KW with the Sol-Ark 15KW and haven't had one problem. This all happened in the span of about 1 week.

I'm told that the new firmware for the 18KW has the generator start feature. A little too late for me.

Now Signature Solar is giving me a hassle about returning the inverters.

PXL_20230612_185326469.jpgPXL_20230615_223300771.jpgPXL_20230618_224015883.jpg

Started out with the EG4 8K inverter, kept getting battery comm. errors that would shut the inverter off(You have to use battery comm. for generator control). Tech support acknowledged the battery comm issue. I asked if the 18KW would solve the problem, they said oh yes. Got the 18KW installed and found out that the generator start feature didn't work at all(not configured in the firmware). Ended up replacing the 18KW with the Sol-Ark 15KW and haven't had one problem. This all happened in the span of about 1 week.

I'm told that the new firmware for the 18KW has the generator start feature. A little too late for me.

View attachment 165531View attachment 165532View attachment 165533
Who did you talk to at tech support both of these inverters work. Those settings and battery comms work I test these thing daily. Please give me a name so I can address this. I am sorry you had to go through this I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again

Who did you talk to at tech support both of these inverters work. Those settings and battery comms work I test these thing daily. Please give me a name so I can address this. I am sorry you had to go through this I’ll make sure it doesn’t happen again
I talked to a half a dozen techs from June 13th to the 16th. One of the techs told me there were known issues with battery comm. failures that cause the inverter to shut down(8KW). After installing the 18KW and finding out the generator start feature didn't work, the only option I had was to install the Sol-Ark 15KW. This installation was at a business with no utility power, so I couldn't wait around for you guys to get something to work.

I talked to a half a dozen techs from June 13th to the 16th. One of the techs told me there were known issues with battery comm. failures that cause the inverter to shut down(8KW). After installing the 18KW and finding out the generator start feature didn't work, the only option I had was to install the Sol-Ark 15KW. This installation was at a business with no utility power, so I couldn't wait around for you guys to get something to work.
I will help you get the return going no problem. I wish I could of helped you at the time and you would of never changed anything out. I’m sorry you had to go through this.

I can confirm that generator start works in the newest firmware.

Two 12K’s just worked from Day 1, 18 mo, nothing but one dongle that was DOA. SA replaced immediately. One phone call, 4 minutes.

Installed two 6500ex’s in my shop, nothing but issues. Firmware updates should solve some. Come on, does SS not test these units? It seems like 10+ updates since I purchased them one year ago. How about getting the bugs worked out on SS time/money, then start shipping them out to customers? You could spend 400 hours in the beginning or spend 4000 hours on phone with customers complaining. Take your pick.

9/26/23. Edit: Signature Solar provided great customer service, tech support and we arrived at a fair resolution today. I highly recommend them now and what a stress relief! Thank you!

Last edited:
You must have good patience and a backup plan. No joke.
When my 6500EX48 died, it was about 3 months or maybe longer before it could be returned.
I personally believe it should have been returned at the point the tech told me I could not use it because of safety issues.
I should have been without power for 3 months, except I like backup plans...and I read this forums rants.

I did have a backup unit (LVX6048) that I was able to use until the 6500 was returned. SS made good on thier warranty but it took a while....
Nevertheless, I eventually went all Schneider. Now i am bored because i have no more issues albeit pleased at the same time.
SS has good prices and i feel a decent warranty. Just understand they cant seem to move fast. At least for me this was the case. I cant speak for all.

I would not hesitate to buy from SS again and soon will.

I agree they are slow on a return but they have done me right so fare in the end result. Thank goodness for this forum and people like Markus monitoring and ready to help fix issues or get the ball rolling quicker.

Two 12K’s just worked from Day 1, 18 mo, nothing but one dongle that was DOA. SA replaced immediately. One phone call, 4 minutes.

Installed two 6500ex’s in my shop, nothing but issues. Firmware updates should solve some. Come on, does SS not test these units? It seems like 10+ updates since I purchased them one year ago. How about getting the bugs worked out on SS time/money, then start shipping them out to customers? You could spend 400 hours in the beginning or spend 4000 hours on phone with customers complaining. Take your pick.
I also had what I would consider a pretty bad experience with 6500EX warranty, but comparing the 6500ex to a SolArk 12k is not exactly fair when a single 12k is about twice as much as 2x 6500EXs.

I also had what I would consider a pretty bad experience with 6500EX warranty, but comparing the 6500ex to a SolArk 12k is not exactly fair when a single 12k is about twice as much as 2x 6500EXs.
Where in the hell are you buying 12ks that expensive, or who are you fondling to get 18kPVs that cheap? Lol

EDIT:

Lol, the 12k is cheaper than the 18kPV:

Last edited:
I’ve had a few minor hiccups with SS but, I always felt like, while slow, they cared about resolving it. They‘ve grown quickly because there were few who could match their distribution, selection and pricing on DIY solar gear. That alone has helped many start doing DIY solar. I’ve owned growing businesses and customer service is always a WIP. I would imagine that hiring top notch CSRs with electronics experience to work in a small TX town is about as easy as getting the Solar Bros door to door salesman to read my No Soliciting sign! ?

Room for improvement?, sure, should they listen more to feedback?, sure, do I want them to go away? No thank you.

If I buy cheap equipment, which I have EPEVER and different brands of cheap inverters. I don’t expect them to last more than 3 to 5 years. But I do expect them to work flawlessly when they arrive if I follow the instructions to install them. And after storing them for one year find out there’s been 10+ firmware updates to correct issues. But hey, I guess I got what I paid for. I won’t make that mistake again buying anything from SigSolar

9/26/23. Edit: Signature Solar provided great customer service, tech support and we arrived at a fair resolution. I highly recommend them now and what a stress relief! Thank you!

Last edited:

Why release a product and not confirm that it can work with at least most generators? I am glad you had the funds to get what you needed, most people like myself have to work out other arraignments until we can replace it. I will be going with sol-ark but I will have to wait a couple of months.

Back