diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower battery SOC differences

I had some similar issues a few weeks back. I set the float and absorb higher and after several cycles all the batteries balanced except one. I disconnected it and charged it on a separate charger. It had been sticking at something like 85%. After 5 minutes of charge it suddenly jumped to 100%. My guess is the bms but it's been working fine ever since.

Signature Solar was very responsive throughout the whole thing, by the way.

Time to resurrect this thread. The BMS on the 3rd battery is faulty. Sent emails to SS but not response yet. It has only been one day on the latest round of emails. Here is 3 screenshots taken at different times. Note that battery 3 has not changed at all in each. So, it appears the BMS was faulty and became faultier since.
View attachment 152170
You have a connection problem with battery three. Parallel connected batteries should not show such a diverse voltage.
Could also explain your other troubles.

The batteries get charged to 100% daily. This battery has no changes. It seemed like a connection issue but I checked that. It is in a Sig Solar battery rack.

The batteries get charged to 100% daily. This battery has no changes. It seemed like a connection issue but I checked that. It is in a Sig Solar battery rack.
Ok, Next time they hit 100% SOC...please post a screen shot of the cell data for all 6 batteries.

Can you please tell me how you got these screen shots? I'm using windows 11 and this is the only program I've ever seen that doesn't support a screen shot by pressing the "Prt Scr" key. What is the trick?
Snipping Tool is built in

Can you please tell me how you got these screen shots? I'm using windows 11 and this is the only program I've ever seen that doesn't support a screen shot by pressing the "Prt Scr" key. What is the trick?
In the search bar at the bottom start typing snipping and it will come up. You can click it then to run it or you can right click on it and pin to your Start Menu or your Taskbar. Personally, I use Snag It but the snipping tool is free.

1687978679083.png

Signature Solar has not done anything. Says the manufacturer has denied an "SOP" and they are waiting for a firmware update. So now I have an expensive boat anchor. Been 6 months now.

Do Not Buy Signature Solar unless you don't want a warranty because they will not honor it.

Signature Solar has not done anything. Says the manufacturer has denied an "SOP" and they are waiting for a firmware update. So now I have an expensive boat anchor. Been 6 months now.

Do Not Buy Signature Solar unless you don't want a warranty because they will not honor it.
We have a full team working all day honoring warranties and even courtesy replacing things that customers outright broke. your case is being reviewed currently.

Are you able to post a bmstest image of all 16 cells from the 3rd battery?

Should look like this.
CV Top Balance Test 56.1v.jpg

We have a full team working all day honoring warranties and even courtesy replacing things that customers outright broke. your case is being reviewed currently.
I'm also having a similar problem with my EG4 LifePower batteries. Over a three day period my six batteries went from 96% SOC down to zero SOC without any evidence from the inverter nor the SolarAssistant of any discharging taking place. The batteries just discharged at about 1kw rate for 30 hours. I also tried to get the data from the EG4 HUB SD card but found the card didn't have any files. Bill Short from SS wrote
"Thirdly, here is a link to extract data from batteries or EG4 Comm Hub. Pulling the memory card will not work as the memory card is being used in ways that don't make any sense to a PC.

Following the instructions on the video, gives this result. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.
1687992114171.png

Can you help me get a SS team member to help with my case? You can contact Bill Short for all the details. Bill originally told me that he would forward my case, but I never got a reply.

Time to resurrect this thread. The BMS on the 3rd battery is faulty. Sent emails to SS but not response yet. It has only been one day on the latest round of emails. Here is 3 screenshots taken at different times. Note that battery 3 has not changed at all in each. So, it appears the BMS was faulty and became faultier since.
View attachment 152170
Your using solar assistant which does not read accurate data from the EG4 batteries. You need to take a screenshot of BMS test using the multi-pack tab and show us what the actual SOC% percentages are for your bank. I don't see anything wrong with your bank you just have 1 battery that has an imbalanced SOC. There is no guaranteed equalized loads when using any battery chemistry together in parallel. Welcome to the world of direct current.

"Even with the manual charger, the SOC still showed low on the one battery. Left it on for quite awhile but still nothing. I switched it back to the 6500's but the battery pre-charge sequence kept failing. It finally worked when I unplugged the Solar Assistant module. The solar assistant was really hot also. Now it won't even boot. So I connected the battery coms back to the 6500. Within an hour the SOC on all 6 batteries was at 100% and then they all discharged pretty equally overnight. It appears that the 6500's have better communications with the batteries".

Your main issue to begin with was using solar assistant, it was never an officially supported product that was ever tested. Solar assistant wrote code for Modbus protocols and then vanished and never fixed them relating to multiple battery products.

Were you ever given the password to BMS test and did you ever go into the config tab and change anything yourself?

Are you using closed loop communication?

Do you ever top balance your bank to 100% SOC?

We're all of these batteries installed in your bank at the same exact time?

Last edited:
Back