diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

Sneak peek, pretty bad-ass
James, FWIW I wish you showed the monitoring TV split-screen throughout the test. If you want a more functional test I would also recommend an external power meter. (preferrably a meter on the input and output.) I get that it is a sales demo, but the more questions and concerns addressed up front the fewer barbs that can be traded later.

Also... do we have any update on CEC approval?

Split screens bro. Split screen.

We wanna see your facial expressions.
I will only go so far. You’ll have to just imagine my expressions of amazement. ?
Certainly no flashy camera work on this one. I do need to include my water well in there next time as it likely has a larger inductive load now than the ac, but it starts both without an issue. Even under considerable load.

I will only go so far. You’ll have to just imagine my expressions of amazement. ?
Certainly no flashy camera work on this one. I do need to include my water well in there next time as it likely has a larger inductive load now than the ac, but it starts both without an issue. Even under considerable load.
Cute, you edited the quote to correct the you’re to your.

Cute, you edited the quote to correct the you’re to your.
I would like to take credit. But I honestly didn’t do that. Not sure how it corrected itself. Grammar usually isn’t a pet peeve of mine, unless people misuse the words “loose” and “lose”. Nearly makes me loose my mind.

Last edited:

It's funny how he mentions how quiet the unit is when it is running under normal loads. I can relate with my unit. Coming from running 2 6500 units for the last 7 months, it still gets me how quiet it is in the garage (where my unit is installed) every time I go in there. I still find myself having to check the unit to make sure it is running because I'm so used to hearing the fans constantly running. (Even though I know if it wasn't running my lights in the house would be out.)

Looking at the video again, something wasn't adding up. The manual states that the surge power for the inverter is 14,000W (10 min.), 16,000W (5 min) and yet going by Mason's numbers, the load was approx 14.8kW and it only ran for around 2 min before tripping.
Inductive load backfeeds maybe?

I'd just say inductive loads. The unit is really kVA rated and not kW rated-- amps matter.

Edit... it looks like it is a 60A breaker tripping at 58A in Gavin's video, unless there was some extra inrush that wasn't captured. @Gavin Stone any thoughts?

Last edited:
I'd just say inductive loads. The unit is really kVA rated and not kW rated-- amps matter.
Can you guys clarify? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I guess I'm trying to figure out if my understanding of how it should work is wrong or are the numbers in the spec sheet wrong?

My assumption is that the units should be able to handle surges up to what the manual states for a set period of time. In both Gavins and Signature Solars videos, neither seemed to handle surging anywhere near what the manual shows. Both were under 3 minutes before the inverters tripped.

Edit... it looks like it is a 60A breaker tripping at 58A in Gavin's video, unless there was some extra inrush that wasn't captured. @Gavin Stone any thoughts?
What is the power factor of this unit?

Can you guys clarify? I'm not sure I understand what you mean. I guess I'm trying to figure out if my understanding of how it should work is wrong or are the numbers in the spec sheet wrong?

You don't think the numbers aren't inflated? Even the name of the inverter is dubious.

I never thought you were naive Adam.

My assumption is that the units should be able to handle surges up to what the manual states for a set period of time. In both Gavins and Signature Solars videos, neither seemed to handle surging anywhere near what the manual shows. Both were under 3 minutes before the inverters tripped.
I didn't watch the video, but I did see in the spec sheet that Max Cont. Line Wattage is 8Kw per 120V.

I don't see the power factor listed for the inverter. The only power factor listed is 1 on AC input. Misleading? I'll let you decide.

You don't think the numbers aren't inflated? Even the name of the inverter is dubious.

I never thought you were naive Adam.

I didn't watch the video, but I did see in the spec sheet that Max Cont. Line Wattage is 8Kw per 120V.

I don't see the power factor listed for the inverter. The only power factor listed is 1 on AC input. Misleading? I'll let you decide.
I keep getting told I'm too pessimistic, so I was trying to hold out hope that the specs were accurate...?

So does the manual explain pretty clearly how to install the unit in various configurations?

We want to install one after the main panel to a critical loads panel off Grid, but with AC grid support to those loads (peak load shaving or whatever) if desire.

Are configurations like this spelled out?

And I assume it's stackable? Any one stack it yet?

So does the manual explain pretty clearly how to install the unit in various configurations?

We want to install one after the main panel to a critical loads panel off Grid, but with AC grid support to those loads (peak load shaving or whatever) if desire.

Are configurations like this spelled out?
It does a pretty good job

And I assume it's stackable? Any one stack it yet?
Yes it's stackable. Haven't seen it done though.

I have a 70 amp breaker on that output. Nothing tripped. You may be on to something with the resistive/ inductive loads though. I’m curious.

diy solar

diy solar
Back