diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

Been quiet here lately.

I've now got my system installed in the permanent configuration doing 200A passthrough. The main new thing I'm able to test now is the "seamless" backup. IMO, it works great. Some of my lights I can see a flicker on changeover, but none of my electronics notice. 9 times out of 10 I probably wouldn't even notice the grid went down, which is awesome. Earlier today I did it while the dryer was running and 2 (inverter) window AC units among many other electronics. The only thing my wife noticed was the clicking relays when it happened.

Super happy to have this capability now, still losing power even with solar when the grid went down was always my biggest frustration.

Still waiting on Duke for the permit, but I decided I had to go ahead and finish the install, the wife is going to pop out a baby any day now. I need to get the battery cables in conduit then I'll post up some pics and take a review video.

Takes a while with a new product like this I think. I’ve gotten multiple comments on my page from people that have just bought the 18k, or are in the middle of the install. Others are waiting on permits.

I’m excited to see more videos from people using it. It’s always cool to see different ways of doing things and other opinions on a product.

Takes a while with a new product like this I think. I’ve gotten multiple comments on my page from people that have just bought the 18k, or are in the middle of the install. Others are waiting on permits.

I’m excited to see more videos from people using it. It’s always cool to see different ways of doing things and other opinions on a product.
With a product that’s been hyped up so much, I guess I’m just used to reviews spreading like wildfire because everyone wants one. Not sure if supply has anything to do with it.

I know I’ve been told by a handful of people that they ordered one. Just figured with as many bells and whistles this thing has, and the fact that no two environments are exactly the same, there would be a lot to share.

I’m still kinda surprised that I haven’t seen any other people showing off an 18kPV on YT.

So far outside of EG4, I’ve only heard/seen info from @Gavin Stone, @Rusty959 and @Will Prowse. I know people are buying them, but still surprised on the lack of shared data.
Still doing new tests everyday but unfortunately it has been working flawlessly.
Even did some surge testing and no issue. Usually when things break or do not work as advertised, I'm making a video every day. Pretty boring when everything works well.

And I change the settings almost daily and am always trying new loads. Just works.

Still doing new tests everyday but unfortunately it has been working flawlessly.
Even did some surge testing and no issue. Usually when things break or do not work as advertised, I'm making a video every day. Pretty boring when everything works well.

And I change the settings almost daily and am always trying new loads. Just works.
Does yours appear to always be in peak shaving mode? Unless I am in a mode that over-rides peak shaving such as "charge first" or am below my on grid discharge limit my system is always using the battery to match my load.

Doesn't matter if "peak shaving" is checked or unchecked, the time of day settings, or what the peak shaving power limit is. None seem to have any effect.

The only time any setting in the peak shaving category has seemed to matter is this morning when my unit did an AC charge for no reason, it limited the power to my peak shaving power limit.

I think you're the only other person on here doing grid interactive.

How is it with unbalanced load?

Next question - Do yall have more settings available on the web monitor than me? I just saw @Will Prowse mentioned remote firmware update on another thread - I've seen EG4 has access to that but I do not. Do any other users have access to more settings than me? Notable exclusion here is peak shaving, which of course has been one of my issues.
Capture.PNG

Does yours appear to always be in peak shaving mode? Unless I am in a mode that over-rides peak shaving such as "charge first" or am below my on grid discharge limit my system is always using the battery to match my load.

Doesn't matter if "peak shaving" is checked or unchecked, the time of day settings, or what the peak shaving power limit is. None seem to have any effect.

The only time any setting in the peak shaving category has seemed to matter is this morning when my unit did an AC charge for no reason, it limited the power to my peak shaving power limit.

I think you're the only other person on here doing grid interactive.
Make sure don’t overlap any time settings with other feature except charge pv first and charge ac. If you are using grid peak shaving feature and the kw setting is higher than your load then the inverter will try to charge you battery with grid ac…

Next question - Do yall have more settings available on the web monitor than me? I just saw @Will Prowse mentioned remote firmware update on another thread - I've seen EG4 has access to that but I do not. Do any other users have access to more settings than me? Notable exclusion here is peak shaving, which of course has been one of my issues.
View attachment 153418
End user account will only have the basic setting. You must have a distributor or a installer account to have all the settings like remote update..

View attachment 153418
I just updated the firmware locally using the wifi dongle Screenshot_20230618_153556_EG4 Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20230618_153645_EG4 Monitor.jpgScreenshot_20230618_151135_EG4 Monitor.jpg

If you are using grid peak shaving feature and the kw setting is higher than your load then the inverter will try to charge you battery with grid ac…
Can you expand on this? I don't understand why a grid peak shaving would charge the battery with AC when there's a setting group dedicated to AC charge. I've not seen anything indicating this in the manual either.

End user account will only have the basic setting. You must have a distributor or a installer account to have all the settings like remote update..
It makes sense for the average user to not have remote update and I'm sure some other more complicated setting, but I don't understand why some settings that are available on the touchscreen aren't on there. Such as peak shaving.

I’m still kinda surprised that I haven’t seen any other people showing off an 18kPV on YT.

So far outside of EG4, I’ve only heard/seen info from @Gavin Stone, @Rusty959 and @Will Prowse. I know people are buying them, but still surprised on the lack of shared data.
Mine has been running for about a month so far. Pushed over a MWh in solar and load thru it so far. I'm running in hybrid (connected to the grid) with zero export. Only issue I still have is it shows as exporting around 0.1kwh per day on both solar assistant and the EG4 monitoring app.
On-grid I've had some pretty large loads running thru it as part of the normal daily usage (4 ton HVAC, Oven, Well pump, Hot water heater, induction stove top, etc.) with no issues even when pushing up in the 16kW load range.
One nice change is my couple of cheap LED lights in the kitchen no longer strobe when the coffee maker is running as it did with the 6500s.

Been also using the smart load feature to use the extra solar power to run a bitcoin miner after the batteries are close to maxed out and there is still plenty of solar coming in.

Only issues are the export and the manual firmware update (code didn't work so SS had to do it for me remotely).

Can you expand on this? I don't understand why a grid peak shaving would charge the battery with AC when there's a setting group dedicated to AC charge. I've not seen anything indicating this in the manual either.
If you use a generator as your grid and limit the grid input.

Make sure don’t overlap any time settings with other feature except charge pv first and charge ac.
For fun, I just set every setting with a time option to 0 and unchecked the associated setting. Here's a screenshot of every setting:
2023-06-18 16.04.39.jpg
2023-06-18 16.04.50.jpg2023-06-18 16.05.02.jpg2023-06-18 16.05.16.jpg2023-06-18 16.05.34.jpg2023-06-18 16.05.45.jpg2023-06-18 16.05.57.jpg2023-06-18 16.06.08.jpg2023-06-18 16.06.15.jpg

And finally, here's what I get when my load exceeds solar production. It's pulling from the battery. I have no explanation as to why.

2023-06-18 16.07.18.jpg

Shouldn't that setting be covered by "Gen Rated power"?
Regardless, my current setting in there is also not the limit my inverter is using.
If you place the generator on the grid port...that leaves the gen port for smartload.

Back