diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

I am wanting to run my 3/4 hp deep well pump, 2.5 ton heat pump / AC unit and my hot water heater. Also my dryer and range - all 240 volt.
I am trying to decide on the Shneider XW pro 6.8 or the new EG4 18k pv. I have been told that either one of these would handle all these 240 volt loads. The unit I purchase would only be doing these 240 volt loads, NO 110 loads. Obviously the well pump and hot water heater are on and off all day long. The AC runs a few hours during the day for about a month or so in the summer and the heat pump runs during the day & night in the spring, fall a about a month in the winter. Once it is 20 degrees or lower, it is no longer in use, so quite a bit of the winter the heat pump / ac is not in use. The dryer runs for about a half hour once a day about 3 days a week. The oven part of the range only gets used a couple of times a month, but one or two of the top burners are used once a day / every day. Anybody have any experience with the EG4 18k running a deep well pump and hot water heater at the same time? Along with a heat pump / ac? I am somewhat convinced that the Schneider XW pro can do it, but I only have reviews to base that on and no one seems to talk about well pumps or hot water heaters with them.

I am wanting to run my 3/4 hp deep well pump, 2.5 ton heat pump / AC unit and my hot water heater. Also my dryer and range - all 240 volt.
I am trying to decide on the Shneider XW pro 6.8 or the new EG4 18k pv. I have been told that either one of these would handle all these 240 volt loads. The unit I purchase would only be doing these 240 volt loads, NO 110 loads. Obviously the well pump and hot water heater are on and off all day long. The AC runs a few hours during the day for about a month or so in the summer and the heat pump runs during the day & night in the spring, fall a about a month in the winter. Once it is 20 degrees or lower, it is no longer in use, so quite a bit of the winter the heat pump / ac is not in use. The dryer runs for about a half hour once a day about 3 days a week. The oven part of the range only gets used a couple of times a month, but one or two of the top burners are used once a day / every day. Anybody have any experience with the EG4 18k running a deep well pump and hot water heater at the same time? Along with a heat pump / ac? I am somewhat convinced that the Schneider XW pro can do it, but I only have reviews to base that on and no one seems to talk about well pumps or hot water heaters with them.
Does your power company provide you with daily/hourly energy consumption?

During the day with PV and or Grid tied I don’t see why not.

At night without Grid I think you are limited to 50amps or 12k from Batteries.

Gavin Stone has one running but not sure what his loads or inputs are.

Assuming
Well Pump 2000 watts (6000 surge)
Heat Pump 2500 watts (7500 surge)
Hot Water 4500 watts
Dryer 5000 watts
Oven 2500-3500
Range 1500-3500

- Dual Oven (4 elements) and 5 burner range can top out around 10000 watts if all heating elements are on.

- Dryers that support eco mode typically limit max wattage. (ECO mode on my dryer tops out at 2000 and drops to 1000 watts after initial heating)

- Hybrid Hot Water tanks in eco mode top out around 1000 watts.

- Some newer well pumps have a soft start and lower energy.

Looks like this is a duplicate post from another thread but I'll respond here as well -

You really need an energy audit before you make any decision. The draw and the surge can vary a lot on any of the loads you've described and estimated usage is a gamble at best.

Regardless of what your actual needs are, this is not an apples to apples comparison. The Schneider is solid as a rock based on all the reviews and their track record (I have no personal experience). That said, it is a 6.8kw inverter vs the EG4 being a 12kw inverter. You'll also need a CC with the Schneider if you're comparing costs. So if you're only going by specs and price, the EG4 wins hands down. But the EG4 is new and relatively unproven compared to Schneider. I've gone back and forth on this a few times myself looking at two of the Schneider vs one of the EG4. I'm actually leaning towards two of the EG4 but I'm not quite ready to do either just yet.

If you can do an energy audit you're going to know for sure how much capacity you need. Until then it's just guessing. I've done plenty of that myself and it almost always ends up costing me in the long run. There are a ton of other arguments for and against either option. I think the audit then a lot of research is going to be your best path forward.

During the day with PV and or Grid tied I don’t see why not.

At night without Grid I think you are limited to 50amps or 12k from Batteries.

Gavin Stone has one running but not sure what his loads or inputs are.
My unit would be off grid and tied to it.

Oh, sorry, must have forgotten a word there. I will be off grid only.
18k will NOT be tied to the grid.
So the only worry you have is if you will have enough energy at night to do what you need.
12k or 50 amps is all you get with no Grid or PV.

So the only worry you have is if you will have enough energy at night to do what you need.
12k or 50 amps is all you get with no Grid or PV.
Thanks, I would be in pretty much the same position if I chose the Schneider too I suppose.

Reactions: HLB
Did you ever get this sorted out?
After posting that. Eddie_Lux reached out to me, and I've been working with lux since. But as of yet haven't seen any progress.

On the other hand Will seems to not have any problems at all, with his testing of the eg4 18k. So I'm at a bit of a loss, I've been told the inverters are almost identical with the extended breaker box been the only difference. And yet there seems to be a differents in testing results.

After posting that. Eddie_Lux reached out to me, and I've been working with lux since. But as of yet haven't seen any progress.

On the other hand Will seems to not have any problems at all, with his testing of the eg4 18k. So I'm at a bit of a loss, I've been told the inverters are almost identical with the extended breaker box been the only difference. And yet there seems to be a differents in testing results.
What was your exact issue? I watched the welding video but couldn't figure it out. Was it just the surge shutting off the inverter?

Edit: I watched the other two videos.
I have 2-EG4 6500ex and one EG4 18K.

Last edited:

Note: My 18KPV is offgrid

- The 6500ex is a beast at handling a surge and keeping the voltage within 3v of desired.

- The 18KPV doesn't handle a surge like the 6500ex can. It's not uncommon to see 5-7v sag when adding or removing a 5,000 watt load.

While the 6500ex can take a surge, I couldn't stand the led strobe.

My 18KPV doesn't handle the large loads that flip on and off (as well as the 6500ex)...but the good out weighs that one inconvenience. I have no noticeable LED light strobe, PV seems to produce more, half Idle consumption, 90% of the time it's noiseless (no fans, no weird zapping sounds), higher conversion efficiency.

Edit - Found the data points.
I would like to add that the July 1 firmware update may have "reduced" the load voltage spike/sag issue. I went through today's data logs looking for supporting data (to show spikes and sags) and today I don't show any data points
over or under. All data points are within 3 volts of desired.

Yesterday - this is a 5,000 watt resistive load turning on and off with a static base load of 3-4K.
Screenshot_20230706_084729_Edge.jpg

Tested again (today) with 6,000 watts of solar, 3K base load and 5K resistive turning on and off (Dryer heating element)
Screenshot_20230706_115908_Edge.jpg

Example of 6500ex 117v-119v similar parameters.
1688660488403.png

Last edited:
There are definitely alot of pros to this inverter no question there.
It's not uncommon to see 5-7v sag when adding or removing a 5,000 watt load.

I've seen as much as a 50v "sag" when removing a 4800w load.

Which seems to indicate poor voltage control algorithm. The voltage usually spiks when a load is removed.

And it does if the load is less then 2200w or so. But if a higher load is removed. It drops which seems to indicate the inverter is over compensating.

Most people will notice it more when adding a load then removing one.

My main point is there seems to be something off with the voltage control algorithm, so it is some way good news that it may be able to be improved with a software update. Because both ways have significant room for improvement.

Here is another video.

Last edited:
Back