diy solar

diy solar

EPSolar AN series to RS485 to Ethernet

PVorBust

Hi All. First post - have to start somewhere.

I run a collection of single panel systems:
  • one for a water pump
  • one for security camera and electric fence energiser
  • three for keeping start-batteries in good condition when their equipment is not being used.

I've replaced all the PWM CC's with Tracer AN series (1206 mostly) on 44V, 175W panels. This works well, but feature-creep has kicked in and now I want to monitor the three colocated 1206an's via an ethernet link.
As EPSolar don't offer a wired adapter, I've started with an Elfin EE11 RS485-Ethernet adapter (has anyone used one of these?)

I can connect to the EE11 and the network side seems fine, but this is my first expedition into Modbus and RS485.
I'm not completely confident I've got the data lines the right way around as manufacturers label them differently.
My real question is: which communication protocol is most suitable?

As a backup, I've ordered a second adapter that will present as a virtual com port as that will allow Solar Station Monitor to work directly.

ee11.jpg

cheers from down under.

Edit:
Also open to suggestions of alternative RS485 to Ethernet (not wifi) devices if you've had a positive experience.

Last edited:
Thanks @upnorthandpersonal .
An interesting project, but at this stage, I'm not trying to read the data with a Pi, I 'simply' want to put the regs on my local network.

However, logging to a Pi and putting that on the network may be a better approach.

I'll get to the software side later, my immediate problem is setting up the EE11 ethernet adapter.

Thanks @Symbioquine , that's the pinout I've used, except I've used pins 1,8 to power the EE11.

One thing I found a bit disturbing is that the MT-50 manual shows a different pinout.
The numbering is the same, but the physical pin numbers is ... strange.
1628349239229.png
I can load the EE11's web page and set it up, but I'm not clear on the protocol to pass the RS485 data.
I'll add a screenshot of the options, but they include HTML, Telnet, IoT and a few others. I've tried a few, but haven't seen any data.

On the hardware side,
I'm not completely confident I've got the data lines the right way around as manufacturers label them differently.
1628350611450.png
RS485 standard

Which is nice, but doesn't agree with the pinouts on the EE11
1628350820514.png
So this leaves me with the problem - Do I connect: A+ to A- or to B+

I ran out of RJ45's, but I'll make a new cable with the RS485 pins reversed to see if that performs differently.

EE11 manual

Last edited:
Seems I've got the EE11A, not the EE11.
As far as I have determined, they are the same, but the 'A has a wider operating supply voltage.
As you can see, if you have an RJ45 crimping tool, the cable can be very neat
1628494890068.png

These are the communication options offered:

1628493970341.png

Last edited:
Well spotted.
I stared at it thinking it's exactly what I've been trying to do with the EE11A.
Then it occurred to me the RS485 should be on an RJ45 like all the other EPSolar/EPEver/Tracer devices.
So I had a look at the official EPSolar & EPEver sites and there is no mention of this eBOX-TCP-02 at all.

While it's obviously being sold for doing exactly what I want, it seems it's not an official product.

So I had a look at the official EPSolar & EPEver sites and there is no mention of this eBOX-TCP-02 at all.

While it's obviously being sold for doing exactly what I want, it seems it's not an official product.

It looks like it's an official product, just not as widely marketed. It does appear on the CN language version of their site; http://www.epsolarpv.com.cn/product/62.html Maybe they just haven't ported the software/documentation to english yet...

Update:
my Network Cable Tester arrived, so I was able to go over the data cables I'd made and to put it simply - I hadn't done a good job. I think the problem is the 4-core telephone cable is a bit thinner than Cat5 cable and the crimped pins don't make reliable contact.
I could have tested it with a multimeter, but "they looked good" so I assumed they were ok and searched for a problem elsewhere.

At this point, the second RS485-Ethernet adapter arrived, so I started playing with that.
At first it looked DOA as it wouldn't power-up (lights on, but no one home). Tracked the problem to trying to power it from the 1210AN's com port. It can supply 12V, but only 50mA (5V 100mA) - fine for the EE11, but not the new ZLAN 5143D.
1629796765986.png

After a lot of stuffing around I got the virtual com port installed, reconfigured SSM to the VCom and then spent hours playing with the network / com settings until it finally came to life.

I'll get back to the EE11 and see if I can get it to cooperate, but for now, I'm happy to have one working system.

Last edited:
The RS485 port on the Tracer 1210AN (and similar models) provides 5V power pins and can supply ~100mA;
Well spotted - thanks
(at least someone read my post!)

The point is, 0.5W is not enough power to run the ZLAN adapter

Not sure where I got 50mA from, but I got 12V from the MT-50 manual
1629850899569.png

For a reality check, I put a meter on the reg and it is 5V

Last edited:
I got 12V from the MT-50 manual

I think that might be from the Renogy MT-50 manual (https://www.renogy.com/template/files/Manuals/TrcrMtr-MT-50.pdf) rather than the Epever MT-50 manual. My understanding is that they are different and incompatible devices on a number of levels - despite sharing the same name.

That said, the Epever MT-50 manual (https://www.epsolarpv.com/upload/file/2107/MT50-Manual-EN-V3.2.pdf) is similar in that both devices can be powered at 12V - though the Epever MT-50 manual seems to support a wider range (5V - 12V compared to the Renogy's 8V - 12V).

1629865264449.png
The naming overlap was confusing to me at first too. I have no idea why they didn't just give them different names... :unsure:

The point is, 0.5W is not enough power to run the ZLAN adapter

Agreed - at least for the ZLAN 5143D. You might be able to build something custom around some of the other ZLAN chips that would take less power, but I didn't see anything of the DIN-rail/plug-and-play which would be happy powered off the Tracer-####AN RS485 port.

Back