diy solar

diy solar

Feast or Famine, The off grid solar dilemma.

but still trying to figure out a controller that i can use to trigger a relqay with. i want one that runs on either 48dc or 120ac. one that I can read the battery voltage with and hen it gets to 54.4 volts turn on the water heating elements. let it run until the voltage drops to say 54dc and shut off the elements.

Morningstar tristar PWM on load division , or a victron battery monitor trigging a relay

Morningstar tristar PWM on load division , or a victron battery monitor trigging a relay
yeah I considered that... I use tristars MPPT60 x 4 for my SCCs. just the 300 plus to jump down to a pwm scc has always stopped me. if one of the MPPT's should burn up i would definitely think about it.

yeah I considered that... I use tristars MPPT60 x 4 for my SCCs. just the 300 plus to jump down to a pwm scc has always stopped me. if one of the MPPT's should burn up i would definitely think about it.

Ah but it's not the same deal when you're using it for load division, it's not acting as a PWM charge controller so you're not going to face the losses you would

Take a look at that diagram, the Tristar PWM is added on top of your current system , sitting between the battery & dump load , it doesn't have anything to do with the solar

Essentially acting as a voltage sensing relay

Right now when I see a "feast" coming, I'm frantically running around the house figuring out what extra things can be done. Dishes, laundry, etc. Trying to use all the potential possible while ensuring my batteries are full.

So how are you dumping power to the water heater?
I'm the same, get all the washing done, cook my evening meal early etc. :)

Wow lots of you seem to have 20+Kwh of batteries where as I've just saved enough finally to get a 5Kwh LifePo battery after struggling with lead acid. :)

Disgusting

the thing is, you're cheaper to them dead , what a horrible system....

It was the 90s.
Fill them full of drugs, cheaper than fixing the actual problem, easier to control when they are your supplier.

Then if the vet complains, they say,
"Why are you listening to a junky?"

If you don't take the drugs, they say,
"Why are you listening to a guy off his meds?"

I used to bury mine in the garden, but they caught on when they didn't show up in blood/urine tests... So went through that first hand.

It was the 90s.
Fill them full of drugs, cheaper than fixing the actual problem, easier to control when they are your supplier.

Then if the vet complains, they say,
"Why are you listening to a junky?"

If you don't take the drugs, they say,
"Why are you listening to a guy off his meds?"

I used to bury mine in the garden, but they caught on when they didn't show up in blood/urine tests... So went through that first hand.

Bunch of twats

You give your life, your health to a country , it ought to be prepared to support you in return.

It's not actually a lot to ask !

The technology has been available for a long time to make a synthetic flammable hydrocarbon gas from seawater and atmospheric CO2. It is close to energy neutral, but given enough “renewable” energy the gas storage could be used to fire turbines to stabilise grid load.

The sceptic in me thinks the corporations involved are using climate change to enable their entire power generation chain to be taxpayer funded.

Pretty good scheme if you can get it, the consumer not only pays for the energy you sell them, but they also pay in advance for the infrastructure required to provide the energy.

The real interest for me is how we are going to deal with low atmospheric CO2 levels while maintaining our energy needs.

Pretty good scheme if you can get it, the consumer not only pays for the energy you sell them, but they also pay in advance for the infrastructure required to provide the energy.

And then the infrastructure is on their books. Until it is depreciated, they're allowed 8% of assets as profit.

one tesla 5kwh module at a time. Just a few years ago they were $1200, now they are $550 each
got 12 now on my way to 22
Are you saying you are getting 5Kwh 48V LifePo4's for $550? If yes then can I have a link as the best I'm getting is around £1000 if I self build and just order cells and a BMS or £1,350 for a pre-built 48V LifePo.

Are you saying you are getting 5Kwh 48V LifePo4's for $550? If yes then can I have a link as the best I'm getting is around £1000 if I self build and just order cells and a BMS or £1,350 for a pre-built 48V LifePo.

There are, but not in Europe as far as I know. Cheapest is around 1200 Euro or so for a module, excluding tax/shipping...

Edit: and not LiFePO4 ones...

Last edited:
In which case the LiFePO4 route sounds both cheaper and a much safer option for us Europeans and ex-Europeans (= brits)

Absolutely. There are several vendors, like NKON that have cells, and several overseas Alibaba vendors have stock in the EU. Plus, LiFePO4 is a lot easier and safer to deal with compared to NMC/NCA and the likes.

Back