diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a LiFePO4 BMS with Low-temp Charging Protection

In the app, look under Params Settings > Nominal Capacity set to 200.0 (you need to add the .0) and hit Submit on the bottom

I did notice that in the APP it say the attached battery is a 100ah when in fact it is a 200ah. I do not know if this a setup issue or not.

Wow! Glad I ordered last Saturday and it was delivered Thursday ?
Hopefully they get a new supply soon for those interested. Haven’t connected yet but I’m looking for a list of good settings for use on a 4s 100 ah LiFePo when I do need to program for my use. No big draws just normal loads.
I thought I saw Will list basic settings to change in an earlier post but can’t locate settings video. ??

All I saw in the video was Will changing the temperature setting of the BMS.

But according to this guy the default setting for these BMS might not be set correctly:

I’m assuming the setting would need to be changed on a few of the menu options but looking for advise on which settings are optimally good and should be changed for a simple 100ah battery with light to moderate use. The low temp charge protect should be set for 3c-5c that I’ve seen. But looking at the long menu and the chinglish descriptions it’s very confusing for any other suggested settings that would be recommended by those here with good sage advise. ?
Maybe a simple list of settings for
Those of us rookies who could benefit from it.

OK .... I';m getting close to wiring my own system .... and one of the options I considered was the BMS recommended by @Will Prowse .

I think the diagram below is the same / similar to the one on Will's website if you need more than 100A loads. Where my confustion comes in is that even if the BMS has low temp cutoff, the Charge controller is still going to try to charge the battery because it is connected direct to the battery .... not thru the BMS.

If you connect it thru the BMS, It seems to me that both the charge and the load will be disconnected by the low temp cutoff ..... and they have different requirements. It might be desirable to draw a little load to warm the battery up and then it would be warm enough to charge.

I have a Chargery BMS ordered because it will control seperate charge and load relays .... this is the only way I can see to have indepent control. This is going to make the wiring more complicated, but it seems to me that proper implementation of charge and load safeties is going to require seperate control.

Is there a separate port BMS available that has Bluetooth and low temp cutoff?

sdfsdfd_1_orig.jpg

Just order direct! You can even get a 120amp version. They come with 3x 10 gauge wire;)

Or

I ordered the 120 amp version 2 weeks ago direct. 85 USD

Wow! Glad I ordered last Saturday and it was delivered Thursday ?
Hopefully they get a new supply soon for those interested. Haven’t connected yet but I’m looking for a list of good settings for use on a 4s 100 ah LiFePo when I do need to program for my use. No big draws just normal loads.
I thought I saw Will list basic settings to change in an earlier post but can’t locate settings video. ??
You can buy direct from aliexpress for cheaper

Has the manufacturer incorporated the low-temp cut-off firmware upgrade. My understanding is that Battery-hookup is having a 3rd party custom flash new firmware
Tom told me they are not flashing different firmware. He gave me the APK which I posted on my website for changing the settings. Which I mention in the video on how to set it up. You need the enterprise version. Do not use the one on the site. I also mention this on my website as well.

OK .... I';m getting close to wiring my own system .... and one of the options I considered was the BMS recommended by @Will Prowse .

I think the diagram below is the same / similar to the one on Will's website if you need more than 100A loads. Where my confustion comes in is that even if the BMS has low temp cutoff, the Charge controller is still going to try to charge the battery because it is connected direct to the battery .... not thru the BMS.

If you connect it thru the BMS, It seems to me that both the charge and the load will be disconnected by the low temp cutoff ..... and they have different requirements. It might be desirable to draw a little load to warm the battery up and then it would be warm enough to charge.

I have a Chargery BMS ordered because it will control seperate charge and load relays .... this is the only way I can see to have indepent control. This is going to make the wiring more complicated, but it seems to me that proper implementation of charge and load safeties is going to require seperate control.

Is there a separate port BMS available that has Bluetooth and low temp cutoff?

sdfsdfd_1_orig.jpg
This is why I hate when people post the diagram without the information listed around it. On that page, it specifically states to use a battery sense with the victron SCC so that you can enable low temp cut off, and that you need to manually set absorption.

When these diagrams are not posted with the website context, it is very dangerous and will cause further problems for others looking at the diagrams.

Also, this diagram now has a flyback diode. Check it out. Be sure to check the website for updates, and reading the information around the diagram. VERY IMPORTANT. We keep having this problem.

This is why I hate when people post the diagram without the information listed around it. On that page, it specifically states to use a battery sense with the victron SCC so that you can enable low temp cut off, and that you need to manually set absorption.

When these diagrams are not posted with the website context, it is very dangerous and will cause further problems for others looking at the diagrams.

Also, this diagram now has a flyback diode. Check it out. Be sure to check the website for updates, and reading the information around the diagram. VERY IMPORTANT. We keep having this problem.
@Will Prowse ..... So, are you saying that the charge low temp cutoff will be handled by the charge controller and the BMS with low temp cutoff will only be used to disconnect the load?
I was thinking of using an all-in-on system in my RV. How would the low temp charge cutoff be handled with it?
I thought I knew how I was going to do this til in my RV til I started thinking thru the detail.

Yes exactly. The charge controller is responsible for low temp cut off in that system.

And the BMS will have to control the low temp disconnect if you are using a all in one system. A all in one + a few battleborns is a solid setup. I actually run that in one of my test systems. Super solid system with minimal parts.

I am going to redesign the system again so that it is fool proof. My design worked well about six months ago, but now that we have new bms available, I need to update it.

I have noticed the down loaded app for the battery hookup 100a smart BMS allows parameter settings on android only. If you using the iOS app down load it gives basic readings but will prompt for a paid version to do any changes.
So do you have to purchase the upgrade to be able to change parameters on an iPhone?
Has anyone else noticed this or did I download the wrong version for iOS?
I am using an older Samsung android which works fine, but would like to use my regular iPhone for this as well. ?

Last edited:
I have noticed the down loaded app for the battery hookup 100a smart BMS allows parameter settings on android only. If you using the iOS app down load it gives basic readings but will prompt for a paid version to do any changes.
So do you have to purchase the upgrade to be able to change parameters on an iPhone?
Has anyone else noticed this or did I download the wrong version for iOS?
I am using an older Samsung android which works fine, but would like to use my regular iPhone for this as well. ?
I am using that Iphone App ... but not that BMS. I bought the upgrade (I think it was $4.99) and it works fine for changing paramaters. You have to read in the current paramaters and write back the changes. You can also save a config file.
The only glitch I have seen is that if you close out the app and then go back into the config section it prompts that you need the Pro version .... Just restore purchases at the bottom of the screen and go out and back into config and it is fine. I'm not sure if everyone has that glitch or if it is just me.

No you have to pay for it. It works great by the way. Have a 120 amp BMS directly ordered from AliExpress arriving in a few days

Same units as battery hookup, I am not getting the glitch noted by Bob B

Android app is free but iPhone app is not. ? I guess I’ll just stick with the android version. At least the free part of the iPhone app shows basic readings and if I need to adjust I can use the android. ?

Android app is free but iPhone app is not. ? I guess I’ll just stick with the android version. At least the free part of the iPhone app shows basic readings and if I need to adjust I can use the android. ?
My BMS was built into a battery I bought. They sent me the "new" version of the app ... that looks like the android App, but it was all in Chinese. They said it could be changed to english, but I could never figure out how to do it.
I still have that app on my phone, but don't know if I still have the source for it.

I ordered the 100amp BMS from Battery Hookup with the BT module, but my batteries are 280ah. So isn't 1C for my batteries 280amp? If so, do that mean this BMS will limit the capabilities of the battery?

@Ralo There are a couple of threads about using high amp relays to bypass the BMS. The Chargery BMS is designed to be used this way...... sorry, but I didn't bookmark the threads but if you use the search you should be able to find them.

I ordered the 100amp BMS from Battery Hookup with the BT module, but my batteries are 280ah. So isn't 1C for my batteries 280amp? If so, do that mean this BMS will limit the capabilities of the battery?
The BMS (I did not read it's docs) will limit the inflow to it's settings. Appreciate that to generate 280A from a solar controller or charger is really high ! You would need a LOT of gear to generate that, which translates into empty wallet..

The BMS (I did not read it's docs) will limit the inflow to it's settings. Appreciate that to generate 280A from a solar controller or charger is really high ! You would need a LOT of gear to generate that, which translates into empty wallet..
I thought a BMS also limited the load you could put on a battery? Also, is the only difference between the $89 BMS from Battery Hookup and the $20 BMS on Amazon the low temp disconnect? I mean I need that as freezing temps are reached often enough in my area, but that's a big difference in price for just that feature.

I thought a BMS also limited the load you could put on a battery? Also, is the only difference between the $89 BMS from Battery Hookup and the $20 BMS on Amazon the low temp disconnect? I mean I need that as freezing temps are reached often enough in my area, but that's a big difference in price for just that feature.
If you are going to drive a relay coil with the output of the BMS ..... it will never see high current. A BMS like the Chargery BMS uses a shunt that is external to the BMS and is better suited for high amperage loads .... if you want to be able to do high current shudown of the load.
There are a few threads about using the Chargery BMS.

diy solar

diy solar
Back