diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a LiFePO4 BMS with Low-temp Charging Protection

This connector is labelled "B A" which is probably for RS485.

Edit: hmm... actually it's probably not as RS485 require a ground in addition to the two signal lines.
Just saw this on the Aliexpress page (can't believe I missed it the first time!). You were right. It is RS485. Just not sure how it it used.

@OverkillSolar Thanks for chiming in. If you don't know what it's for, I guess I'm giving up.

JBD BMS Ports.jpg

Oh ok, cool ?

So using it means you need to tap your own ground from somewhere on the BMS (most likely from the negative balance lead).

I have my Overkill 8S hooked up. I have double checked my wiring and the android app is working fine. I made sure to connect the blue cables to battery negative and the black cable to the load. But I am only getting about a half volt out of the BMS. Any thoughts? I have sent a PM to Steve and am waiting on a reply from him but thought I would ask here too.

Have you put a charger/MPPT on the battery? The BMS won't turn on until you put a charger on it (voltage applied needs to be higher than the battery voltage). At least, that's the case for my Heltec one.

Have you put a charger/MPPT on the battery? The BMS won't turn on until you put a charger on it (voltage applied needs to be higher than the battery voltage). At least, that's the case for my Heltec one.
No I haven't. The instructions don't mention anything about that. The cells are on average 3.5 volts. I disconnected the BMS negative from the inverter and the BMS voltage on the negative came up to 6.5 volts from .5 volts. It's possible I got a dud or am missing something else. Thanks.

I figured it out. The protection lock was showing on the app and I couldn't unlock it. I reinstalled the app and it appears to be working. I can lock, unlock whatever with no problems.

No I haven't. The instructions don't mention anything about that. The cells are on average 3.5 volts. I disconnected the BMS negative from the inverter and the BMS voltage on the negative came up to 6.5 volts from .5 volts. It's possible I got a dud or am missing something else. Thanks.
Sometimes that is the only thing that fixes a program or app. At least with this one, you don't have a key to unlock it, too. Sometimes moving Windows to a new hard drive can be a pain to get it to recognize your key. Or Apple will put a secret lock on your FaceTime account and even the techs can't see it. Happened to me. After 2 hours on support the tech said she would enter a 2 hour exception for my account and I logged into Facetime and it has worked ever since. It hadn't worked for over 2 years till then.

Will have you tested the overkill solar BMS

Overkill Solar BMS Instruction Manual
Not sure if he has tested an Overkill branded BMS, but I'm pretty certain he tested and reviewed this BMS back when it was first being sold by Battery Hookup (I think that was last Winter or Spring maybe).

Overkill Solar is a well regarded member of the forum and a well regarded seller, he sets himself apart from the competition by offering good clear support and documentation, and being honest and knowledgeable about what he sells and attentive to the needs/preferences of his customers.

I do not own this BMS or anything from Overkill.

@psolver If either the 4S or 8S BMS meets your needs then these are the ones to get. I have been assured by Overkill both are capable of running at their max rated amps continuously. And if you buy from Overkill the support and warranty can not be matched. Also Will has them listed on his website and you can purchase from Will's links. Both links go directly to Overkills website.

I sent the battery hookup ones back and bought replacement ones from Overkill. Waiting one a new large lug crimper to build the batteries I am going to us anderson plugs on the main outs and to parallel my batteries to gather

I sent the battery hookup ones back and bought replacement ones from Overkill. Waiting one a new large lug crimper to build the batteries I am going to us anderson plugs on the main outs and to parallel my batteries to gather
What was wrong with the battery hookup ones?

I like those Anderson plugs too. I found them premade with wires connected here:

I don't have the space to do much work so as far as cables I buy them premade. Haven't bought the Andersons yet but I know where to go if I need them.

no bluetooth they were out of stock, and only 60 amp charge rate 100amp discharge rate. I am going to use the battery's to run electric winches, and hydraulic pump, and to charge my cordless tool batteries when in the field, also an Emergency jump battery.

no bluetooth they were out of stock, and only 60 amp charge rate 100amp discharge rate. I am going to use the battery's to run electric winches, and hydraulic pump, and to charge my cordless tool batteries when in the field, also an Emergency jump battery.
I am working on a backup power build. I have everything working and am testing the capacity using a cheap inverter. Right now my build is messy...lol. But once everything passes I will polish it up. Gotta say this has been a challenging project, but a lot of fun.

Not sure if he has tested an Overkill branded BMS, but I'm pretty certain he tested and reviewed this BMS back when it was first being sold by Battery Hookup (I think that was last Winter or Spring maybe).

Overkill Solar is a well regarded member of the forum and a well regarded seller, he sets himself apart from the competition by offering good clear support and documentation, and being honest and knowledgeable about what he sells and attentive to the needs/preferences of his customers.

I do not own this BMS or anything from Overkill.
aww thanks guys

Will has not reviewed my BMS again because I can't supply the order volume that happens when he says my name on youtube. (I've asked him not to)

This will change soon as I have a few projects wrapping up that will let me test and calibrate the BMSs way more efficiently, and I'm finally getting to where I can order enough inventory to meet the demand.

I've been known to kill almost anything electrical, and for a neophyte like myself, there seems to be absolutely no downside with using an @OverkillSolar BMS for my first lifePO4 battery build.

1) Low temp cut-off!!
2) The customer support!!
3) The warranty!!!
4) The warranty!!!! View attachment 28305
i can attest to Overkill's warranty - TOP NOTCH!!! I had an issue and I had a new one (free replacement) within a few days!!!!!!!!!!!

Back