diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a LiFePO4 BMS with Low-temp Charging Protection

I will second that, needed help and and Steve was all over it and had a replacement in 2 days! Thanks again!

More thoughts on using a Heltec 3S 4S 5Amp Active Equalizer Balancer.
Do I have to put one on each bank of batteries or just the bank that has a runner? I am planning on having 4 x 4S banks with 4 BMS.
Do I change the Balance settings on all of the banks or just the one with the Active Balancer?

Am I treading on uncharted waters?

You're asking for help on a Heltec BMS some 1180 posts down in a Daly BMS thread.

I'd start a new thread with Heltec and some other key words to get the attention of folks who can help (sorry, its not me).
No, this is not a Daly BMS thread. This is a Smart BMS/ OverKill Solar BMS thread.

Im asking about the settings on the Smart BMS when adding an Active Balancer.
I have the BMS that this tread is about.

You can install an Active Balancer IN-LINE with your BMS.
Passive Balancing on the BMS will bugger up with Active Balancer in-line. So that should be disabled.
Using a 5-wire Molex Connector (one wire for each cell, + 1 for the NEG)

BMS Wires & Active balancer leads in one side, then 16g wires from connector to Battery Cells.

A Molex 9 Pin Model shown below. NOTE, You can cut these down to # of terminals if needed. It may be cheaper to buy 10-pin model and cut it in half with your pliers or Olfa Cutter.
TWO TYPES, Surface Mount (shown) or Panel Mount & Board mounts are possible (they have feet / anchors) so pay attention to the details.
Molex-Block.jpg

or Hella Fused Blocks if concerned for cells.
Use a GENUINE Eaton/Bussman fuses not cheapo no-name.
Select Fuse Amp for MAX of the Active Balancer capacity.

1608107962261.png

I use a QNBBM-8S with my 8S packs which have a Chargery BMS8T (Passive Balancing OFF)
The BMS is wired to the QNBBM Connector, which in turn goes to the cells.
In my instance, I used 14g wire from Active Balancer to cells.
Each wire from Balancer to cells are of equal length exactly.

BMS to Balancer wiring (sm)[4757].jpg

Do I turn off both Balance Enable and/0r Charge Balance?
Will turning these settings off affect the balancing between the batteries or just cells on that battery/BMS?
Do I have to put one (active balancer)on each battery in the bank or just the battery that has a runner?
Do I change the "Balance Settings" on all of the batteries in the bank or just the one with the Active Balancer?

I have looked at the manual....that is why I'm here in hopes of finding answers for the settings and how it affects the other batteries in the bank.

Last edited:
Here are the definitions of the parameters in question:
3.3.3 Balancer Enabled
The BMS will only perform its balancing routine if this option is enabled.There are very few reasons why this would ever be turned off. We recommend to keep it enabled.
3.3.4 Balance only when Charging
When enabled, the balancing routine will only be performed when charging.When disabled, the BMS will enter Static Balance mode, where it will balance when both charging and discharging.NOTE: Charging while balancing is usually more effective, because the cell delta is greatest at the top of the charge. We recommend to keep this setting enabled.

Do I turn off both Balance Enable and/0r Charge Balance?
Based on the above definitions I would think you would disable both if you use an active balancer. I'm not sure if its necessary, but it seems like it would limit complexity and the potential for screwy behavior.
Will turning these settings off affect the balancing between the batteries or just cells on that battery/BMS?
Can you explain what you are thinking/what you mean by this? I am not sure if I am understanding you correctly, but it sounds like you are assuming the BMSes will balance between battery packs, not just between individual cells in a pack.
Do I change the "Balance Settings" on all of the batteries in the bank or just the one with the Active Balancer?
Unless I am misunderstanding something, if you disable balancing on packs that have no active balancer, those packs will not have any cell balancing.

I have never used an active balancer, I am just trying to think through this logically. Hopefully some folks who are more familiar with active balancers and best practices will chime in.

I have seen one battery send current to another battery when the charger was off. Both batteries had exact same voltage the next morning.

I have seen one battery send current to another battery when the charger was off. Both batteries had exact same voltage the next morning.
The BMS's don't balance batteries between the packs. The only balancing done to batteries packs, is them being cut off at the top and bottom of each one. If one pack reaches the upper or lower limit before the others, it gets turned off from the rest for charging or discharging.

This is not due to any action on the part of the BMS.

Hi guys, I have ordered one of this BMS and trying to know if with the APP I will be able to see the Amps coming in and coming out. I know i can see the current Amps (but I guess is Amps getting in minus amps getting out, if i'm getting 20 amps from solar and i'm using 25 amps on appliances, I wonder the BMS will say -5A)

My solar charge controller is the renogy DCC50S (don't have a screen), and at this point I'm thinking how i have to proceed to know in one single screen the amps coming in and out (same with watts), is the BMS able to show in the app IN an OUT? Maybe isn't able to show in the app, but using the @OverkillSolar arduino library I can achieve it.

The other option is to install a shunt, but in this case I don't know if the shunt is able to say the IN an OUT in different parameters (not one minus the other)

Thanks folks!

Last edited:
Hi guys, I have ordered one of this BMS and trying to know if with the APP I will be able to see the Amps coming in and coming out. I know i can se the current Amps (but I guess is Amps getting in minus amps getting out, if i'm getting 20 amps from solar and i'm using 25 amps on appliances, I wonder the BMS will say -5A)

My solar charge controller is the renogy DCC50S (don't have a screen), and at this point I'm thinking how i have to proceed to know in one single screen the amps coming in and out (same with watts), is the BMS able to show in the app IN an OUT? Maybe isn't able to show in the app, but using the @OverkillSolar arduino library I can achieve it.

The other option is to install a shunt, but in this case I don't know if the shunt is able to say the IN an OUT in different parameters (not one minus the other)

Thanks folks!
I haven't been charging and discharging at the same time, but I believe it will show -5A in your case. IE, 20A in -25A out = -5A out.

I haven't been charging and discharging at the same time, but I believe it will show -5A in your case. IE, 20A in -25A out = -5A out.
That's what I imagined, but I would like to know how many W or A are getting in and out. Maybe the shunt is going to be the only option, I would like to avoid the shunt, but maybe it is not possible. Thanks for the answer!

That's what I imagined, but I would like to know how many W or A are getting in and out. Maybe the shunt is going to be the only option, I would like to avoid the shunt, but maybe it is not possible. Thanks for the answer!
Quick answer, turn the load off briefly. I think there is a Bluetooth module for your Renogy which has a app to monitor it. I think there is a thread on here about your DC-DC/MPPT. IIRC they talk about the BT module in it.

In the case above, even the shunt will show -5 amps. With the higher end victron monitor equipment you can see total power produced, even if that power didn't go into the battery.

Back