diy solar

diy solar

Finally found a LiFePO4 BMS with Low-temp Charging Protection

I have seen pics of this board on line where the outer two 'holes' have what looks like metal brackets you can screw a lug onto. I suspect when you have that, you don't need the 3rd hole. Consequently, I suspect the design was probably thought through for flexibility of product offerings. Two spots for binding post -or- three spots for wires.

View attachment 7139

Yes, most probably. I wasn't aware of this version (better than the wire version in any case).

although the posts appear to be simply soldered on the board.

There's nothing stopping you from desoldering the stock wiring and fixing connectors directly to the PCB... you could even resolder for extra points.

Does anyone know if Daly ever fixed the Low Temp cutoff on their BMS that Will tested, and had fail?

although the posts appear to be simply soldered on the board.

There's nothing stopping you from desoldering the stock wiring and fixing connectors directly to the PCB... you could even resolder for extra points.
Yup.... and I am considering doing something like that

Does anyone know what those clips are called? I was also bummed to see the soldered wires on from my BMS

we were also talking about max current load. For the 120a unit, the data sheet is quite specific at 130a for 1 second; doesn't appear to be adjustable.

Has anyone actually confirmed this? I know the datasheet shows 130A. I wonder what kind of peak inrush current is allowed for under that second. Does it cutoff if you exceed 130A or does it require >= 130A for 1 second to cutoff?

I've been looking for a version with CAN communication. I cannot find anywhere that sells one with this option. Even www.lithiumbatterypcb.com doesn't have that as an option. Either they don't actually support it or it hasn't been implemented yet. It also could be a special version designed for other companies building batteries. I did sent the company a few emails but haven't received any response yet. I was going to order directly from their website. But I am not confident in that because I haven't receive any email responses. At least Aliexpress offers protection as I have needed it before.

I might go ahead with the UART and RS485 one. I have to build a controller anyway for heating and cooling of the battery area. It is easy enough to add a few UART connectors and use the manufacturer provide protocol details to decode the data.

Has anyone actually confirmed this? I know the datasheet shows 130A. I wonder what kind of peak inrush current is allowed for under that second. Does it cutoff if you exceed 130A or does it require >= 130A for 1 second to cutoff?

For folks who have this BMS in-hand...would there be any volunteer(s) to help test some items:

• Overload protection. What really happens if you throw 120+ amps at it? (or the rated capacity of your device)

• Battery chemistry: Can you select between Li-Ion & LifePo4 witin the software settings?

• High/Low voltage disconnect... put a bench-top supply to the balance leads and crank/reduce the voltage knobs. Does it function as expected?

• Shunt accuracy:
    • minimum load to register a reading?
    • does it register loads over 100 amps?

Many of us ordered this unit following Will's video and are waiting for shipments, but beyond that documentation, testing, etc. is minimal.

@Turd Furguson I have a JBD 120a I have put a 1500W small space heater (12.5a) to it and it was drawing 134a it worked for about 5 sec then went into the overload protection. This was connected to a 200W Kisae Pure sine inverter connected to a pack of 4x LifePo4 (280amp). The low and high cell voltage disconnect works fine.

The low and high temp disconnect also works

thank you... This is very interesting - Did the shunt & software register the 134a? Any thoughts regarding BMS temps during sustained load?

Can you comment on the the others? (shunt sensitivity & chemistry settings)

yes the BMS displayed the load correctly, I have been using the heater at the medium setting to drain my batteries for the cycle. the BMS runs at 98a no problem for more then 3hrs and it's barely getting hot.

The shut measurement is reading differly then what the Inverter is showing by a few amps.
You can set the min and max value cell value, so you can set for many chemistry. It's not a preset, you have to set your own values.

I have one that I used to check out my battery cells. I ordered a Chargry as I need to be able to pull 200A from my battery for the inverter. I will sell it for $75 + shipping.

I bit the bullet and got in on the pre-order for the next shipment.
Why are you all waiting for another shipment when you can order diecly from AliExpress. I have already received 4 of these units this month but a 120 amp version instead of the 100 amp one Will tested. Wrk perfectly , upgraded soldered wires pairs to a larger size. Extensively tested. Work as advertised. On my phone but can give links to the manufacturer of these bms units and to a AliExpress seller when back on my laptop. Using with iPhone, software rocks. Use the pro version

For folks who have this BMS in-hand...would there be any volunteer(s) to help test some items:

• Overload protection. What really happens if you throw 120+ amps at it? (or the rated capacity of your device)

• Battery chemistry: Can you select between Li-Ion & LifePo4 witin the software settings?

• High/Low voltage disconnect... put a bench-top supply to the balance leads and crank/reduce the voltage knobs. Does it function as expected?

• Shunt accuracy:
    • minimum load to register a reading?
    • does it register loads over 100 amps?

Many of us ordered this unit following Will's video and are waiting for shipments, but beyond that documentation, testing, etc. is minimal.
I have four units. Get much faster on AliExpress and better price. Will answer those questions tonight. Units working as advertised.

Why are you all waiting for another shipment when you can order diecly from AliExpress. I have already received 4 of these units this month but a 120 amp version instead of the 100 amp one Will tested. Wrk perfectly , upgraded soldered wires pairs to a larger size. Extensively tested. Work as advertised. On my phone but can give links to the manufacturer of these bms units and to a AliExpress seller when back on my laptop. Using with iPhone, software rocks. Use the pro version
But can I really get it faster? When I emailed them the other day, their next shipment should be here, soon, maybe a couple of weeks max. Plus I haven't ordered anything direct from China, before. At this point I have my order in already.

Though I am thinking about ordering 8 of the 100AH CALB cells Will linked to in a resent video. If I get those I'll build a 2P4S battery with this BMS.

But can I really get it faster? When I emailed them the other day, their next shipment should be here, soon, maybe a couple of weeks max. Plus I haven't ordered anything direct from China, before. At this point I have my order in already.

Though I am thinking about ordering 8 of the 100AH CALB cells Will linked to in a resent video. If I get those I'll build a 2P4S battery with this BMS.
Who knows but I ordered 4 total and have already gotten all of them, and a higher amp version than what batteryhookup sells and at a better price. Same as Will reviews but more direct from source. I have gotten and tested 8 x 280ah cells direct from China and was so impressed I have ordered 12 more and they shipped yesterday direct ups air. Thanks again to Amy.., Don’t be afraid of AliExpress or Alibaba. Ordering direct has saved me 40-50% off buying from battery sites or amazon... just have to do a little research and the savings r huge

Who knows but I ordered 4 total and have already gotten all of them, and a higher amp version than what batteryhookup sells and at a better price. Same as Will reviews but more direct from source. I have gotten and tested 8 x 280ah cells direct from China and was so impressed I have ordered 12 more and they shipped yesterday direct ups air. Thanks again to Amy.., Don’t be afraid of AliExpress or Alibaba. Ordering direct has saved me 40-50% off buying from battery sites or amazon... just have to do a little research and the savings r huge
At some point I will. Probably sooner more than later. Then I'll be asking why I waited so long to do it. Have you dealt with "Battery Warehouse" on AliExpress? How long did it take from ordering to them shipping your batteries? Once they ship, how long to get to you? Are you in the US?

Back