diy solar

diy solar

First time mounting (solar panels)

I'm using super electrical struts for my racking. Wires fit neatly into the rails to keep them off the roof. Attaching to metal roof with special attachment, See picture! Super struts are 10 foot for $21.00 if you buy 10 or more, at lowes or Home Depot. Stainless bolts and washers extra.

Attachments

• 20211027_174205.jpg
    20211027_174205.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 21
I'm using super electrical struts for my racking. Wires fit neatly into the rails to keep them off the roof. Attaching to metal roof with special attachment, See picture! Super struts are 10 foot for $21.00 if you buy 10 or more, at lowes or Home Depot. Stainless bolts and washers extra.
There are lots of DIY solutions for pannel mounting. None of them will be sufficent if your system has to get sign off by a building inspector.

ironridge racking is designed to use 3" tube (or 2") as the main structure that holds the rails that the panels attach to.

Ahh instead of rails (extruded aluminum), people use steel pipe. I thought people were just using steel for conduit.

In typical market prices is steel the cheaper option?

Ahh instead of rails (extruded aluminum), people use steel pipe. I thought people were just using steel for conduit.

In typical market prices is steel the cheaper option?
The steel pipe is used for base structures. This is Ironridge ground mount, racking is still aluminum. https://www.ironridge.com/ground-based/

This is the MT Solar Top of Pole Mount, again racking is aluminum. https://www.mtsolar.us/top-of-pole-mount/

The reason for steel on ground based arrays is because of wind forces. Steel is structural material, aluminum not so much. Take a look at MT Solar and how they use a pier foundation much larger than the pole. The reason is due to wind force against the array creates leverage on the foundation. Both manufacturers will assist in determining which mount will work for you, all based upon panel dimensions, number of panels, snow load, tilt of panels, wind forces, ground type and foundation diameter. You fill out a from and they determine whether you need a 6 or 8 inch pole on MT Solar for example, rating of pole, pole and foundation depth, length of rails, whether multiple poles are needed. Wind force is a big one and the more panels are tilted, the more wind they catch.

Well the OP was thinking about using iron ridge XR100, and then people started chiming in about steel pipe and now you’re mentioning ground mounts for some reason. I was just trying to understand why people were derailing the thread discussion.

i have $2K of ironridge sitting on my trailer right now. Still trying to track down 3" tube for it.
Would used 2-7/8" sched 40 pipe work for you? Used as it is dicarded from oil fields.
Miles of that stuff available at farm auctions and oilfield service co's. They usually ask $1/ft

Would used 2-7/8" sched 40 pipe work for you? Used as it is dicarded from oil fields.
Miles of that stuff available at farm auctions and oilfield service co's. They usually ask $1/ft
perhaps, however that is in oil feild country and not the middle of the midwest were I am located at and shipping is typically prohibitively expensive

perhaps, however that is in oil feild country and not the middle of the midwest were I am located at and shipping is typically prohibitively expensive
I just ordered some 6" SCH80 the other day, for the two 21 footers, the price was down 30% from a month ago. Supply was 2 days out from 3 weeks a month ago.

Might be the time to buy. As for the oilfield stuff, I had found some 5 inch and 7 inch, but it goes by OD unlike SCH40 or SCH80. The 7 inch was tempting, 9 bucks a foot but 1/4" wall. A short length of 6" SCH could have been inserted at the top and welded in after a light turndown in a lathe, about 0.040" would have worked. But the 1/4" wall compared to SCH80 at 7/16" was the deal breaker.

There is plenty of oil pipe in the Midwest if it would work for you. I have found farmers and ranchers use it for gates and fencing so it gets hauled in.

Back