diy solar

diy solar

"Ford secures battery supplies for 600,000 EVs a year from 2023"

Great, I can finally get myself an MME or F150.

I'd sworn to never allow an NMC in a garage attached to a house where my kids sleep. I feel much safer with LFP even at the expense of range.

In a few years, we should be getting used LFP packs in the 100kWh sizes from these vehicles. Even with 20% degradation, they will still be excellent energy storage systems of off-grid DIY solar systems.

In a few years, we should be getting used LFP packs in the 100kWh sizes from these vehicles. Even with 20% degradation, they will still be excellent energy storage systems of off-grid DIY solar systems.

A brewing sub-market, and the possibilities are endless.

Hopefully it will bring a semblance of a LiFePO4 supply chain nearer, rather than shipping it half way across the globe.

Just wondering why the big automotive companies hadn't jumped into LiFePO4 until recently.

That would be a good business model.

Replace packs every XXX thousand miles, before they get too trashed, and have them certified for residential or commercial energy storage. Car companies could make a little extra money selling (or installing) the used packs, and in a perfect world they might pass some of that savings on to the consumer for the replacement pack in their EV.

A brewing sub-market, and the possibilities are endless.

Hopefully it will bring a semblance of a LiFePO4 supply chain nearer, rather than shipping it half way across the globe.

Just wondering why the big automotive companies hadn't jumped into LiFePO4 until recently.
Because their energy density was bad. It's still not as good now but it has improved by quite a bit. Also cycle life isn't as important for most vehicles. 1000 cycles to 80% in a car with a 350 mile range is still over 300k miles.

Because their energy density was bad. It's still not as good now but it has improved by quite a bit. Also cycle life isn't as important for most vehicles. 1000 cycles to 80% in a car with a 350 mile range is still over 300k miles.
less energy density vs alternatives

lack of long life priority in drivetrain/battery

reasons for less aggressive LiFePO4 chemistry adoption in automotive applications

Someone at Ford is a DIYer and will pass to us these LiFePO4s! ?

I think the answer is energy density. That is compounded by the manufacturers interpretation that a lot of people have range anxiety. The reality is that most EV owners do not have range anxiety. Once someone owns an EV and realizes how easy it is to charge at home range anxiety is non existent for day to day use. On trips is is just a matter of planning stops to charge.

I think the answer is energy density. That is compounded by the manufacturers interpretation that a lot of people have range anxiety. The reality is that most EV owners do not have range anxiety. Once someone owns an EV and realizes how easy it is to charge at home range anxiety is non existent for day to day use. On trips is is just a matter of planning stops to charge.
I think it's mainly non EV owners that suffer from range anxiety, an ecuse to poo poo the inevitable :ROFLMAO:

I like the idea of being able to fill the tank and go on my merry way in 5 min vs sitting for 30-60 min at a time, not worrying about using heat cutting my range way down, etc.

Electric cars have their place but to think they can replace an ICE car for the majority of people in this country in the next few years is a pipe dream.

And don't get me started about the fake "green" side of things - mining this stuff is hardly a green endeavor. So bad that enviros won't let the US mine our own resources and the Biden admin delayed some stuff by 20 years.

Not to mention our already overloaded grid that has no chance to support an explosion of EVs.

Solar is awesome but to try to run a whole country off of it (and wind) is an exercise in futility.

Range anxiety, oh boy, yeah, that’s it!

A F-150 just got a whole 85 miles before out of juice pulling a 3 ton trailer.

My brother had a EV Mustang, traded it in after 6 months. Run the heater here in MN and range is low.

I like the idea of being able to fill the tank and go on my merry way in 5 min vs sitting for 30-60 min at a time, not worrying about using heat cutting my range way down, etc.

Electric cars have their place but to think they can replace an ICE car for the majority of people in this country in the next few years is a pipe dream.

And don't get me started about the fake "green" side of things - mining this stuff is hardly a green endeavor. So bad that enviros won't let the US mine our own resources and the Biden admin delayed some stuff by 20 years.

Not to mention our already overloaded grid that has no chance to support an explosion of EVs.

Solar is awesome but to try to run a whole country off of it (and wind) is an exercise in futility.
The amount of time I've waited to fill up in the last 4 years that I had my EV is a tiny fraction of how long I would have waited if I still had an ICE. And I've never worried about using heat or AC lol

The amount of time I've waited to fill up in the last 4 years that I had my EV is a tiny fraction of how long I would have waited if I still had an ICE. And I've never worried about using heat or AC lol
But where do you live? Gonna use that heat a lot here in Ohio. Goodbye 25-50% of your range.

I rarely have had to wait at a gas station, and even in the rare handful of times I did over the last 18 years it was still less time than an EV charge takes.

Wait ’till there are more EVs on the road lining up to charge.

But where do you live? Gonna use that heat a lot here in Ohio. Goodbye 25-50% of your range.

I rarely have had to wait at a gas station, and even in the rare handful of times I did over the last 18 years it was still less time than an EV charge takes.
PNW. I use the heat a lot but the difference is small even with my older EV with resistive heating. Newer EVs like the model Y have heat pumps so heating uses even less.

Ha, it looks like Crypto mining is a big problem in Texas in terms of overloading the grid since crypto mining runs 24/7. I charge my EVs from solar during the days most of the time. Before a trip I might charge at night when there is plenty of capacity on the grid in California. My road trips are during the day when there is also a lot of capacity. I am not worried about an explosion of EVs. There are still a lot of people like you that are holding out. The adoption has gone from a trickle to a lot more but the real limit will be the manufacturers ability to ramp up battery production.

Where has anyone, government agency, or talking head suggest we are going to replace ICE cars for the majority in the next few years?

Let's not ignore the wars to stabilize the Middle East and fossil fuel spills that devastate environments. Regardless of form of propulsion, there IS a cost to the environment.

Not to mention an oligopoly amongst oil producers that has most of the world at it's mercy.

You will eat the shiet sandwich and love it.

I have a Chevy Bolt that is used daily for rental property duty. I can pull a small trailer, making it super versatile. I still maintain and keep a Ford Ranger diesel and a Dodge 2500 diesel, but they are so rarely used. With diesel prices where they are, the Bolt is massively cheaper to fuel. It isn't perfect for every driver, but that's why we have choice. I think EVs are a great way to give the Middle East and Russia the middle finger. We can build the cars and batteries here, keep American jobs, AND we get to decide how we will produce electricity. No one has ever posited we will run out of electricity. The real issue is what means we will use to create electricity. We control that decision, as opposed to some sheik in Saudi Arabia or Qatar. What is bad about that?

It gets tiring seeing binary arguments.

I saw at least 5 tesla cars on the side of the road yesterday broken down in the 112° heat of Phoenix off the 101 coming from gilbert az. I wonder if the heat is causing problems. I've never seen this many ev vehicles stranded. These people were out of the car on cellphones, and looked frantic. All looked not happy. So I don't think they were pulled over in sketchy spots for no reason.

Back