diy solar

diy solar

general setup car cells

bugsb

so apart from a leaf i am also looking at a kia niro 9kw battery but need advice ,
i am looking to build a small shed to fit the cells and hybrid inverter this is to keep the cells away from the house.
i will make up 48v packs from the car battery pack , on each pack fit a bms, now bms size i have no idea so advice there ,from there i will use a buzz bar to connect it all up so what have i missed remember i an a novice ok building a ev bike battery but this is way bigger .
at the moment i have x4 lead acid batteries.
nearly forgot i will fit a lcd volts readout to eack pack

Honestly, based on your post i would say you should make sure you are able to answer some of those questions BEFORE you buy the physical battery, for safety reasons. Because if you know what you need to know to be safe during this teardown and build, you will also have the answer to some of those questions. So in general i would not buy an EV pack or at least not try to disassemble it, until you get further along in your research.

A lot of this depends on the particulars of how a Niro pack is built, too. If you have info on that feel free to post it up and i will comment on it.. but feeling a little lazy to dive into that research myself. :coffee:

PHEV battery packs seem less than ideal for DIY projects. Too high voltage (300...400v) and too low capacity. Some automotive battery packs are very hard/impossible to reconfiqure for other voltages. PHEV packs also see huge number of cycles with high charge/discharge rates, wearing them out prematurely. Better go with couple of modules from electric-only EV, you will get more suitable voltage to start with and less wiring to re-do.

VW 48V 12S 156Ah 6.85kWh modules seem like one of the best options out of EV batteries. Very neat packaging, useable voltage range and fairly common car model.

Back