diy solar

diy solar

Generator gods, purchase advice sought.

I know Amsoil well but stopped using it long ago. Personally, I use Mobil-1 Synthetic 0W30 btw, as I do use it in Winter and I want that oil on the valves ASAP, especially when we have real cold. After 50 hours a bit brown is OK and you probably could still see through it. If that was the 1st oil change (after the short 5 hour breakin one) that is not unusual.

TIP:
It's easier to drain the oil out of that genny if you have it up off the ground so that stupid drain tube actually clears the lip of the cover. After 2 messes, lesson learned. I think they could have improved on that drain setup but I've seen much worse too.

No complaints otherwise my Champion 4650 has indeed been a Champion.

I ended up putting the generator on 4 x 4’s… just enough to clear the drain pan. Bit of a pain, I agree. Drain tube could have been a wee bit longer.

An update. About a year ago I went with a Champion duel-fuel 100297 -https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-100297-Portable-Generator/p67310.html - to power my Chargeverter 5000. And indeed, it's a good match power wise and the generator works A-OK.

However, its LOUD!!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I've owned a Honda eu3000is for over 20years and its a whole different level of quieter so I didn't really understand how loud / annoying a frame generator can be.

I built a shed for this thing with 6" studs for R26 pink insulation + double layers of drywall separated by carpet glue + standard home sheeting on the outside + an exhaust baffle box with 3" rockwool and it's still annoyingly loud. Too loud to run 'in the city' with neighbors on a regular basis. The eu3000is is very quiet outside the shed (what I was hoping for) but only 2500w.
1693766776969.png

And if the neighbors are gone, the zombies will zero in from a 1/4 mile away!

I'm going to save up for a Honda eu7000is, do the propane conversion kit, and hope the sound level comes down to something more acceptable.

Last edited:
An update. About a year ago I went with a Champion duel-fuel 100297 -https://www.electricgeneratorsdirect.com/Champion-100297-Portable-Generator/p67310.html - to power my Chargeverter 5000. And indeed, it's a good match power wise and the generator works A-OK.

However, its LOUD!!!!!! Yikes!!!!! I've owned a Honda eu3000is for over 20years and its a whole different level of quieter so I didn't really understand how loud / annoying a frame generator can be.

I built a shed for this thing with 6" studs for R26 pink insulation + double layers of drywall separated by carpet glue + standard home sheeting on the outside + an exhaust baffle box with 3" rockwool and it's still annoyingly loud. Too loud to run 'in the city' with neighbors on a regular basis. The eu3000is is very quiet outside the shed (what I was hoping for) but only 2500w.
View attachment 165841

I'm going to save up for a Honda eu7000is, do the propane conversion kit, and hope the sound level comes down to something more acceptable.

Nice clean shed. Hope you have a couple of good CO detectors in there in case an exhaust pipe develops a crack!

I have some 3/4" rubber animal stall matting on the interior floor and walls of mine to further dampen sound which works well.

Nice clean shed. Hope you have a couple of good CO detectors in there in case an exhaust pipe develops a crack!
Yes, for sure. The Champion drives it up to ~150 range after 30mins, but it only takes 15 seconds to open door, walk 2 steps and shut it off / leave till it clears out.
1693793783751.png

I have some 3/4" rubber animal stall matting on the interior floor and walls of mine to further dampen sound which works well.
Good tip.

View attachment 165841

The 300i is one of the best generators ever...quiet, powerful and runs like a Honda. I'm looking for one now for my place in baja as a back power source.

The new 3000 with weeps and artic handle doesn't have the same output as the 3000i, but is 45lbs lighter. The wheels and handle feel pretty cheap.

The new 3200 looks great, but for a stationary application hard to be the original 3000 is still a winner with the extra fuel capacity @2.86 gallons even if it slightly less efficient.

So 3200 for portable, 3000i for stationary.

Yes, for sure. The Champion drives it up to ~150 range after 30mins, but it only takes 15 seconds to open door, walk 2 steps and shut it off / leave till it clears out.
View attachment 165899

Good tip.
Just so you are aware, CO is a blood toxin, and exposure of anywhere close to 130ppm is a cumulative deadly condition…
35ppm is OSHA’s workplace level maximum…

Just so you are aware, CO is a blood toxin, and exposure of anywhere close to 130ppm is a cumulative deadly condition…
35ppm is OSHA’s workplace level maximum…

It's too late for me by 60years... as a kid I loved to stand behind the car inhaling car exhaust on those chilly Sunday mornings as the car warmed for the drive the church :)

It's too late for me by 60years... as a kid I loved to stand behind the car inhaling car exhaust on those chilly Sunday mornings as the car warmed for the drive the church :)
Used to wash my hair and arms with trichloroethylene to get the grease off when we were younger also.

I used to work on my brother's 68 camaro drag car, and the smell of 120 octane racing fuel burning out open headers was amazing... I so miss that smell...

View attachment 165899

Good tip.
How do you figure enough is CO getting into the room to slowly raise it to 150 ppm if the exhaust is vented? Exhaust pipe leaks or wind blowing back into room vent or via crankcase blow by??

How do you figure enough is CO getting into the room to slowly raise it to 150 ppm if the exhaust is vented? Exhaust pipe leaks or wind blowing back into room vent or via crankcase blow by??
Well... I'm using a flexible quick connect kit from genexhaust.com - https://genexhaust.com/generator-exhaust-extension-products/

This worked great with the Honda but the Champion exhaust seems to be >600F and melting the hi-temp Silicone Flexible Hose. The problem is this is a 1" ID solution and flexible metal or exhaust piping doesn't go that small.

SO.... I added some NPT piping (about 12") and some cooling fins on the pipe and a fan to lower the temp by the time it hits the flexible hose to ~500F but the NPT threads are leaking. I tried some hi-temp thread sealing compound but I could only find up to 500F and it blew it out.

Sigh.

I'll have to backup and try the metal version of flexible exhaust hose and get rid of the NPT piping/cooling attempt and I think I can get the CO down to 50 range as this is what the Honda does.

Last edited:
It’s always good to have carbon monoxide sensors though out the home. I had one in my boat go off when someone didn’t fully close the aft sliding door. After that I prohibited anyone from standing on the stern while underway because of the vacuum drew the exhaust in that area. That being said a home can cause a vacuum in the downwind side and if you have windows open and a generator in that area you could draw the exhaust into the house.

Well... I'm using a flexible quick connect kit from genexhaust.com - https://genexhaust.com/generator-exhaust-extension-products/

This worked great with the Honda but the Champion exhaust seems to be >600F and melting the hi-temp Silicone Flexible Hose. The problem is this is a 1" ID solution and flexible metal or exhaust piping doesn't go that small.

SO.... I added some NPT piping (about 12") and some cooling fins on the pipe and a fan to lower the temp by the time it hits the flexible hose to ~500F but the NPT threads are leaking. I tried some hi-temp thread sealing compound but I could only find up to 500F and it blew it out.

Sigh.

I'll have to backup and try the metal version of flexible exhaust hose and get rid of the NPT piping/cooling attempt and I think I can get the CO down to 50 range as this is what the Honda does.
You could use an NPT to hose connection, barbed fitting…

It’s always good to have carbon monoxide sensors though out the home. I had one in my boat go off when someone didn’t fully close the aft sliding door. After that I prohibited anyone from standing on the stern while underway because of the vacuum drew the exhaust in that area. That being said a home can cause a vacuum in the downwind side and if you have windows open and a generator in that area you could draw the exhaust into the house.
In my job, I have a personal CO detector I wear on my belt… I rarely take it off. It logs my daily exposure to CO… frequently I will get home and have a 2 or 5ppm reading… some days I see 16ppm. It alerts if it ever hits 35 ppm, and starts buzzing, beeping, and flashing little red lights like my table is ready at a restaurant…

Sigh.

Can you try and direct some of the cooling air flow from the generator towards the exhaust pipes?

Silica based muffler cement resists high heat and would seal threads but is brittle and rigid exhaust pipes tend to vibrate off and break.

Flexible metal exhaust pipe is the solution even if it requires a size adaptor. Suggest you try a marine place, they usually carry high quality flexible metal exhaust pipes as used for the marine and truck diesel heater exhaust , some are double wall for safety, this type of 1" stainless steel flex exhaust tubing is available on Amazon as seen at the link below:

Diesel Heater Exhaust Tubing

In my job, I have a personal CO detector I wear on my belt… I rarely take it off. It logs my daily exposure to CO… frequently I will get home and have a 2 or 5ppm reading… some days I see 16ppm. It alerts if it ever hits 35 ppm, and starts buzzing, beeping, and flashing little red lights like my table is ready at a restaurant…
That’s smart to have I was surprised to learn how long it takes to work its way out of your body. It grabs onto your blood cells for many days. What do you do?

Back