diy solar

diy solar

Global warming is real, why only in USA is there denial ?

Its comical to watch people repeat the same lines over and over.. its like they handed out a booklet of denier phrases.. and conspiracy is always in there somewhere..
Damn, we American's are like farm animals..

Yes, all of the governments on this planet are all in cahoots with each other to fool you.. and they're watching you with their brain wave satellites.

I saw a youtube video showing that if we wrap our heads with tin foil, it can stop the 5G radio frequencies they're using.. but be careful its not so tight it cuts off blood circulation. If its on youtube, it must be true right? Especially if the person making the video is wearing a white coat and has all kinds of graphs and charts.

If agendas, funding, and conclusions are your thing, I would kindly suggest visiting a church..

If a college professor is given a grant of a million bucks to study climate science, is he going to come to the conclusion
that "there's nothing to see here. No problems at all." ( Never happens )

Or will he say, "wow, this needs further study. Better give us two million next year. This could be catastropic."

We have the best climate scientists money can buy.

You're calling me arrogant?

No, I won't explain jack squat to you.. I'd rather you waste your money.

Have a nice day genius.
I don't think anyone expected you to admit you were wrong.
I'm building a 15k+ system for a grid backup; not to save money.
But saving $100 a month is better than nothing ; so I'll take it.

Or will he say, "wow, this needs further study. Better give us two million next year. This could be catastrophic."

Which is pretty much the gist of the matter, yes.
Now - even though I said I would not "rise to the bait" of the discussion any more, just allow me a small point and a small meditation.

The small point is, to whoever said I didn't think man-made climate change was something to consider, because I don't like/understand science, in fact I do. Plenty of scientists in my family. My son got a PhD in Oxford in biology and researches for Cambridge university. He agrees that AWG is pseudo-science. I do understand - and approve of - the scientific method. Which method entails gathering facts and then formulate a hypothesis to explain them, not formulating a hypothesis and then gathering cherry-picked factoids to fit that.
That is the antithesis of science, not science at all.

The small meditation is on "self-immerdating" systems. Which is readily understandable from a romance language point of view - my children and I are trilingual, with peripheral languages thrown in, so we speak a mix of them - but basically they're systems the entropy of which gravitates to... shit. :·)

Journalism is a prime example. Politics is the prime example.
In this, and other notable mass hysterias like Covid-19, there is no "conspiracy". It's just about how some misguided/mis...interested parties manage to to stir up a small pool of pseudo-facts, journalism spins it, and politics reacts... badly.
Human gullibility does the rest.

Drug prohibition is probably the best example of a media-politics immerdation, one all of us are familiar with. And with the huge damage it causes.

Last edited:
You're calling me arrogant?

No, I won't explain jack squat to you.. I'd rather you waste your money.

Have a nice day genius.
Let me take a shot at it. I've been off grid for about 5 years now. Off grid except for the 1000gal LP tank that gets filled up once a year. I own tank so I pay about $1.50/gallon. I'm most likely running a deficit over what I would have paid had I had the 1500' of power lines strung up my driveway. I would probably be in better shape had I had a professional outfit do the install. I only had $17,000 to play with as that is what the grid tie would have cost me. Between the two diy pole mount (non-tracking) 2kW arrays, the two whole house generators and portable gasoline unit, the 3 inverters (one taken out twice by lightning strikes) and charge controllers (that need to be upgrade to arc-fault units), the lead acid batteries, the LiFePO4 batteries (somewhere between China and LA) the battery chargers LP, Gasoline and so on and so forth I'm not sure I will ever save money over what It would have cost to install the power lines with a monthly bill for about 200kWh. That should cover it, but there is still some hope left that with more experience and time I will get better at it. If I get really good at it I may grow some weed and actually turn a nice profit.

Let me take a shot at it. I've been off grid for about 5 years now. Off grid except for the 1000gal LP tank that gets filled up once a year. I own tank so I pay about $1.50/gallon. I'm most likely running a deficit over what I would have paid had I had the 1500' of power lines strung up my driveway. I would probably be in better shape had I had a professional outfit do the install. I only had $17,000 to play with as that is what the grid tie would have cost me. Between the two diy pole mount (non-tracking) 2kW arrays, the two whole house generators and portable gasoline unit, the 3 inverters (one taken out twice by lightning strikes) and charge controllers (that need to be upgrade to arc-fault units), the lead acid batteries, the LiFePO4 batteries (somewhere between China and LA) the battery chargers LP, Gasoline and so on and so forth I'm not sure I will ever save money over what It would have cost to install the power lines with a monthly bill for about 200kWh. That should cover it, but there is still some hope left that with more experience and time I will get better at it. If I get really good at it I may grow some weed and actually turn a nice profit.
Crap.. and I thought my 600 foot driveway was long....

Something interesting I have learned in the past year.. I'm on nat gas but almost everyone around me has propane.. new neighbors moved in and got a quote to have the gas line run to their home.. gas company came out and quoted them $4500. My neighbor, who seems to enjoy spending large sums of money, decided to go ahead with the project...

The gas company ended up sending him a bill for a bit over $700.. (Seven Hundred). And that was it.. he pays the same per Mcf as I do and no extra charges.

I have to wonder if the power companies do the same thing, I also wonder why they would do such a thing as over-quoting things like that.

Not at night...
It would require massive storage solutions for solar to work.
you completely missed my point. Digging up trees to built solar farms = not very good...
Use already existing spaces - which are cleared = parkinglots.

Storage is a none issue, we just need to manage the timing of our demand. Pretty simple problem to solve, most of large nighttime loads are thermal. Only a little fraction is light and entertainment.

- you fridge, or heater/ A/c etc. can run ahead of schedule during the day - when there is plenty of solar. Same for many industrial processes.

Its comical to watch people repeat the same lines over and over.. its like they handed out a booklet of denier phrases.. and conspiracy is always in there somewhere..
Damn, we American's are like farm animals..

Yes, all of the governments on this planet are all in cahoots with each other to fool you.. and they're watching you with their brain wave satellites.

I saw a youtube video showing that if we wrap our heads with tin foil, it can stop the 5G radio frequencies they're using.. but be careful its not so tight it cuts off blood circulation. If its on youtube, it must be true right? Especially if the person making the video is wearing a white coat and has all kinds of graphs and charts.

If agendas, funding, and conclusions are your thing, I would kindly suggest visiting a church..
What wrong with visiting the church or looking down on people that go to church? Ate you saying people that go church are uneducated?
If that is the case, it explains a lot about Obama as how smart he really is since he has been going to church for decades listening to his preacher and now he just made big speech at COP26 meeting. Is he Climate scientist? They are about making money and control instead of really putting the money into solving the problem. High speed train in Cali is good example, where did all that money go to?
Yep, keep looking down on people thinking you are so smart.
BTW, I am not Christian but I do not like to see the so called 'Educated' to look down on other people religion and their believes. May be that is what the 'Educated' American like to do and also look down on people that live in other state.

- you fridge, or heater/ A/c etc. can run ahead of schedule during the day - when there is plenty of solar. Same for many industrial processes.
I have long been looking for a fridge that would leave the compressor off during peak TOU rates. Light should still come on with the door and the ice still dispense, just no compressor for a few hours.

If a college professor is given a grant of a million bucks to study climate science, is he going to come to the conclusion
that "there's nothing to see here. No problems at all." ( Never happens )
I was in Alaska when they sent all those balloons up to investigate the huge whole (ozone) that was going to kill us all....

I'm all for science being done right though. Problem is just like in this board you get lots of "experts" with "scientific" different "results". Is it a bias? Someone just trying to make a $ regardless of the truth? Someone who actually cares and can keep the science all in actually science and has the ability to research the problem correctly?

In the bill they just passed they awarded a LOT of money based off skin tone/ethnicity regardless of ability. That just fuels the problem as once someone gets years worth of "good" pay for nothing how do you think they will vote again? How much fossil (non renewable) resources will the spend going down the wrong hole?

In reality the only solution we have is to simply use what we have as best as we can. Recycle, invest, invent, grow, manufacturer all with the end goal in site of not harming Mother Earth.

But Humanity just aint built like that. For the same reason we are in this mess to begin with, too many people. too many who vote based off the wrong reasons. Too many who buy things for the wrong reasons.

If there was ONE single thing Humanity could do to keep at least some of this in check it would be for only those capable of raising competent kids into adults having kids. Talk about a hole can of worms if you suggest that though.

Again the failure is too many selfish people.

Is what it is.

you completely missed my point. Digging up trees to built solar farms = not very good...
Use already existing spaces - which are cleared = parkinglots.

Storage is a none issue, we just need to manage the timing of our demand. Pretty simple problem to solve, most of large nighttime loads are thermal. Only a little fraction is light and entertainment.

I did not "misunderstand" deforestation is a huge problem and has been for a long time. Your idea has merit, but I disagree with you on not needing storage.

I have long been looking for a fridge that would leave the compressor off during peak TOU rates. Light should still come on with the door and the ice still dispense, just no compressor for a few hours.
Would one of those light switch timers work ? Automatically turn off the fridge/freezer for a set amount of time ?

Would one of those light switch timers work ? Automatically turn off the fridge/freezer for a set amount of time ?
Maybe if it was wired just to the compressor. I am not willing to cut wires for this. Fridge has too many digital controls and the compressor is driven with a 3 phase inverter. Built-in hard wired fridge.

Not sure why the EPA or whatever the efficiency agency is does not require this feature. Yet we have this DST to save energy.

I’m old school electro mechanical. You could interrupt the wire from the compressor switch with a relay controlled by a timer. If you want to get fancy, you install a second temperature probe with an external control that will override the power saving relay in case the interior of the fridge gets too warm.

I saw your reply after typing this, understandable you don’t want to modify the controls. What about running this fridge off a dedicated inverter and battery which you’ll charge during off peak, thus time shifting your energy consumption.

Though it has nothing to do with climate change, religion, lawyers, politics or education, I am preparing for retirement.
My house will be paid off soon.
I bought my wife an electric car and I installed solar. And I don't have payments because didn't borrow the money.
Part of the reasoning is to pay things off ahead of time so I don't have as many bills in retirement.
The car will probably last the rest of our life. I never have to pay for gas and insurance is cheaper on electric cars.
I don't have to pay for electricity for the rest of my life either. And I will have electricity even if the grid goes down.
Of course things will wear out and I will still need to upgrade things and buy new things but I am better off than most people that I know.
And I am not being selfish or careless with the environment.
It is strange that politics cause people to argue so much here. It seems we are working in the same direction.

What wrong with visiting the church or looking down on people that go to church? Ate you saying people that go church are uneducated?
I ate saying non of dat.
If that is the case,
It is not the case.
it explains a lot about Obama as how smart he really is since he has been going to church for decades listening to his preacher and now he just made big speech at COP26 meeting. Is he Climate scientist? They are about making money and control instead of really putting the money into solving the problem. High speed train in Cali is good example, where did all that money go to?
Yep, keep looking down on people thinking you are so smart.
BTW, I am not Christian but I do not like to see the so called 'Educated' to look down on other people religion and their believes. May be that is what the 'Educated' American like to do and also look down on people that live in other state.
And you keep making nonsensical statements and irrational arguments while sliding in personal attacks.. It makes you look real good.

Back