diy solar

diy solar

GROWATT SPF 3000TL function questions

fatjay

I'm curious how prioritization works on these.

For solar-battery-grid, if solar isn't enough, will it dip into battery for only what it needs, or switch to battery entirely?

For solar-grid, without a battery, the same thing. Say the load is 1000w, and solar is only producing 500w, will it switch to grid for 1000w, or pull 500w from solar, and 500w from grid?

Can you set the battery depleted level and frequency? Say the battery runs down to 20%, will grid charge it up to 100% then have it just start depleting again? Such as at night?

Can you prioritize solar-grid-battery? Only using battery for things similiar to a UPS?

solar-battery-grid = SBU (let shorten it)

In SBU mode, yes, the remaining 500w will be pulled from the battery. Unless if the battery is too low and triggered b2AC (setting 12, back to AC, bypass), then it will draw all 1000w power from the grid. In case you are asking, nope....in bypass mode, solar power is purely used to charge the battery until it reach AC2b (setting 13, AC back to battery) in conjunction with grid charging (refer to setting 11)

Setting battery depleted level and frequency? Sure, can your battery management system communicates with the inverter?

solar-grid-battery = SUB mode? Sure. It is an option.

Agree on SBU mode description above.

SUB mode does not exist on these inverters.

From my understanding, these can run without battery, right?

Is there an inverter that will run in SUB mode?

My office UPS's died and I was thinking instead of replacing them, taking them mostly off grid. But I pull about 500w from my office system basically 24/7, so I was thinking if I could throw up a couple panels to offset it, that would be nice, but I want a battery so i have enough time to get the generator going.

There are two models. The SPF3000TL LVM must have battery. The SPF3000TL LVM-ES can run without battery but I can’t confirm myself as I have the non ES model. .

I'm looking at this model here:

Specifically, the 2nd instance in this image is what I'm after. I just want to make sure i'm understanding it correctly.

3000TL-LVM-ES_Page_18.png

Found this in the manual.

Solar energy provides power to the loads as first priority.
If solar energy is not sufficient to power all connected loads, solar andutility will power loads at the same time.
Battery provides power to the loads only when solar energy is notsufficient and there is no utility.

So it looks like it can basically operate in UPS mode.

I think this is a great way to break down the barrier to entry for solar. No massive investment for batteries, and no big agreement for grid tie, just a half dozen panels outside. No need to do the big appliances, but with modern LED lighting, tv's, computers, most things day to day stuff that's critical to function.

That is the newer ES model that I don’t have. My SPF3000TL has been rock solid for years, I use it for testing now. Can run loads right to the 3kw max without issue, but doesn’t have much surge capability. I have issues with LED flicker but incandescent lights are fine. Also the UPS mode I use (SBU) switches between AC pass through or Solar/Battery very fast, no interruption to computers or other electronics.

Wife got sick of the flicker so I moved on from this inverter and just use it for testing batteries now.

That is the newer ES model that I don’t have. My SPF3000TL has been rock solid for years, I use it for testing now. Can run loads right to the 3kw max without issue, but doesn’t have much surge capability. I have issues with LED flicker but incandescent lights are fine. Also the UPS mode I use (SBU) switches between AC pass through or Solar/Battery very fast, no interruption to computers or other electronics.

Wife got sick of the flicker so I moved on from this inverter and just use it for testing batteries now.
Philips Ultra Efficient lighting LED works wonders.

I tested it and these "Ultra Efficient" LED models don't even flicker at all.

Philips Ultra Efficient lighting LED works wonders.

I tested it and these "Ultra Efficient" LED models don't even flicker at all.
I tired those in a few fixtures and they are great. I just wish they made those for more types of bulbs and sockets.

Back