diy solar

diy solar

Growatt SPF 3000TL LVM

stationary offgrid cabin

The cabin main panel should have a green screw that connects the neutral and ground bus bars.
The neutral and ground need to be bonded in exactly one place and one place only.
Your topology will look like this

Code:
generator->growatt->main_panel_master_breaker

Neither the generator or the growatt should have a neutral ground bond because it is done at the panel.
The primary reason to have a neutral ground bond is to make a low impedance path back to neutral to allow a ground fault to trip the breaker and thus clear the dangerous condition.
You should also have a ground rod bonded to the ground bus bar but this is another story.
Hope that is clear.

The cabin main panel should have a green screw that connects the neutral and ground bus bars.
The neutral and ground need to be bonded in exactly one place and one place only.
Your topology will look like this

Code:
generator->growatt->main_panel_master_breaker

Neither the generator or the growatt should have a neutral ground bond because it is done at the panel.
The primary reason to have a neutral ground bond is to make a low impedance path back to neutral to allow a ground fault to trip the breaker and thus clear the dangerous condition.
You should also have a ground rod bonded to the ground bus bar but this is another story.
Hope that is clear.
I think I get what you're saying ? thax
still in the engineering stage lol hopefully will get most of my components over winter and start putting it all together in the spring

Hello'

I am new here and am unsure if this question/observation has been posed. I have an off grid , small system, I use a EPEVER charge controller and a inverter. Array size about 600 watts. 24volt system. Currently LA battery. Assuming LA is FULL and sun is at maximum, PV array . in theory could push ALL dc power needed by inverter to near 600watt ( of course less than that , system losses, ect) . But in my system it does not . Battery juice is still used. Specifically a ideal system the inverter would not use battery juice at all ( aside from say a small float charge) and take ~ALL needed power from the PV array. IF a combo box such as MPP, grow watt, etc, where the charger and inverter live together, could do this then this a considerable advantage over the separate function systems ( ie charge controller, inverter separate boxes). With proper load utilization , doing most stuff when plenty of sun is available, the batteries should see lighter use in depth/frequency of discharge. Lighter battery use is a good thing. I would like to know if these combo boxes from Voltronic/MPP/Growatt (or??) can do this.

I'm using growatt in my rv. With 1500w of solar panels . If u set it tu solar first it priorities solarm meaning When batteries r full whole solar production goes in to inverter ( making 110v). If solar is not enough remaining demand is taken from batteries.

Piciu, thank you for your response. I read earlier comments advocating sticking to separate inverter, charge controller, etc. But the idea of a INTEGRATED power management system , if properly done , should outperform a discrete approach. If you have a gen set also its another place a smart power system can maximize each contribution, PV, Batteries and Genset ( perhaps even a wind or hydro?) . With batteries the most expensive part, and often susceptible to damage or aging due to deep discharge, the goal of a well done, integrated solution should be to use the batteries as little as possible. For me this is the best argument for these integrated power management devices rather than the discrete approach Can anyone verify if the setting/function used by Piciu is present in a MPP controller? Piciu . what model of Growatt are you using??

Piciu, thank you for your response. I read earlier comments advocating sticking to separate inverter, charge controller, etc. But the idea of a INTEGRATED power management system , if properly done , should outperform a discrete approach. If you have a gen set also its another place a smart power system can maximize each contribution, PV, Batteries and Genset ( perhaps even a wind or hydro?) . With batteries the most expensive part, and often susceptible to damage or aging due to deep discharge, the goal of a well done, integrated solution should be to use the batteries as little as possible. For me this is the best argument for these integrated power management devices rather than the discrete approach Can anyone verify if the setting/function used by Piciu is present in a MPP controller? Piciu . what model of Growatt are you using??
I've been doing some research for a near future set up and Im with you in regards the approach. I found people having huge amount of problems with Growatt 5kw hvm inverter in US as the bms won't work with most battery systems and will only distribute power from the battery. Which takes the battery through its cycles very quickly.

Here is a very interesting post/study from owners in Australia

But the 3000TL LVM is a different model and according to Growatt website its a superior pure sine model. But I cannot find anywhere is someone to confirm the Growatt spf 3000tl lvm is actually able to supply power through the solar panels without doing through the battery, using the battery power only when needed.

Also anyone with experience on the PylonTech US3000 batteries? They seem very good value here in Europe/UK.

I've been doing some research for a near future set up and Im with you in regards the approach. I found people having huge amount of problems with Growatt 5kw hvm inverter in US as the bms won't work with most battery systems and will only distribute power from the battery. Which takes the battery through its cycles very quickly.

But the 3000TL LVM is a different model and according to Growatt website its a superior pure sine model. But I cannot find anywhere is someone to confirm the Growatt spf 3000tl lvm is actually able to supply power through the solar panels without doing through the battery, using the battery power only when needed.

Also anyone with experience on the PylonTech US3000 batteries? They seem very good value here in Europe/UK

Also anyone with experience on the PylonTech US3000 batteries? They seem very good value here in Europe/UK
Correction, just found out that the 5000tl hvm is also pure sine but a 230v ac unit instead of 120v.
?

Does anyone have this unit?
Yes I got mine @ www.watts247.com
I am still installing it. I have run it with shore power (grid) and temporarily with 4 100W panels.
Fits snuggly into my rig. @CampulanceLife

Batteries: https://bigbattery.com/product/24v-li-ion-battery-box-rv-battery/
Dc to DC Charger: Orion-Tr 12/24-15 (360W) https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-dc-converters/orion-tr-smart

Dashboard: http://server-us.growatt.com/index?lang=en

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpeg
    IMG_0989.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 37
Question about the WiFi dongle for monitoring:
If two of the Growatts are paralleled together for a split-phase 240v setup, would one dongle be able to monitor both units, or would 2 dongles be required?
You will need 2 Growatt Wifi Modules to remote monitor both units.

My spf3000TL will run loads off only solar. You have to have a battery connected at all times but if you have enough sun, it will run loads and charge the battery at the same time.

…I cannot find anywhere is someone to confirm the Growatt spf 3000tl lvm is actually able to supply power through the solar panels without doing through the battery, using the battery power only when needed.

You will want:
Program: 01 — Setting: SOL
I assume it reduces battery charge cycles.

My use is in a mobile home and will want to take full advantage of shore power(utility) when available.
Program: 01 — Setting: Ut1
Program: 14 — Setting: S&U

Attachments

• 3000LVM-8-Application-SBU.png
    3000LVM-8-Application-SBU.png
    163.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.23.05 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.23.05 AM.png
    202.1 KB · Views: 17
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.16.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.16.06 AM.png
    217.7 KB · Views: 18
I find myself guessing more than knowing when it come to my battery settings; specifically: Bulk and Float.
What should I set for my Batteries with the nickel-cobalt-aluminium (NCA) cathode chemistry. (Voltage Range: 21V – 29.4V)

Here is what I have set:
Program: 05 — Setting: USE
Program: 19 — Setting: 29.1
Program: 20— Setting: 27
Program: 21— Setting: 21.2

I will not explain my reasoning because I do not know this.

Thank you for your guidance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.46.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.46.50 AM.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.48.32 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-22 at 7.48.32 AM.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
See here:

Read the whole thing and then use the cheat sheet in the margin ?

Can anyone confirm what is the real world standby or idle consumption of the Growatt 3000 24V or 48v systems?

Their specs only shows the solar charger standby consumption (of 2watts) but says nothing about the inverter side and this is the kicker. I'm curious to see how much the whole system draws from the batteries under no load conditions, say at night with no solar charging going on.

Thanks for your help

Can anyone confirm what is the real world standby or idle consumption of the Growatt 3000 24V or 48v systems?

Their specs only shows the solar charger standby consumption (of 2watts) but says nothing about the inverter side and this is the kicker. I'm curious to see how much the whole system draws from the batteries under no load conditions, say at night with no solar charging going on.

Thanks for your help

For me, about 44w to 49w when not in eco mode.

Thanks for your help
I'm seeing ~50-65w per unit all the time, regardless of load. This is for a 48v system. So if I have two connected for split phase, its pulling ~120w per hour. If I have 4 units in parallel for split phase, I expect to see 240w, which is crazy. Biggest downside to these units by far! At 240w for 12kw, you would need like 4 panels dedicated to just powering the inverters.

I also had issues with the standby mode - devices wouldn't draw power if they detected no power available on the circuit (same with my power strip I had attached), so the inverter would either never "sleep" or never kick back on. Maybe the standby mode would work better if it was wired into a breaker panel? Anyone have much experience with this?

Gaze and Skpro, thanks a lot for the info. This is the killer for me since I have only 610 Watts of solar panel at the cabin. Since I don't live in the desert, on a rainy day, I would need to run my generator just to keep may batteries from reaching rock bottom overnight. Brochures and spec sheets are nice but nothing beats real world performance from current owners. Thanks guys.

What is a solid 3KW pure sine inverter with lower idle consumption, say 25W? Anyone!

Mine also pull about 50W. I dont have mine in energy saver mode which brings it down further. 50W is not that bad compared to many other inverters...

Mine also pull about 50W. I dont have mine in energy saver mode which brings it down further. 50W is not that bad compared to many other inverters...
I don't know my Magnum 4024 takes 12 watts.

You're right, it is about 1 amp for a 48 volt system. Some big names are showing 20-25 watts but the price of the unit matches that claim... Because of the size of my system, I am looking for something frugal since even adding more panels doesn't help much on a rainy day. Cheers

I have not lad good experience with the power saver. It has not kicked back in when the freezer needed it.

diy solar

diy solar
Back