diy solar

diy solar

Grundfos 10 SQ07 Well Pump…Just Awesome

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Had to replace my well pump at my cabin and went with Grundfos SQ so it will easily start with inverter and/or generator without having a massive system. Buy once/Cry once.

Old 1/2 HP Franklin was 34a (8100w) inrush and 7a run. Duromax 10k was only generator that could start this thing.

New 3/4 HP Grundfos 10 SQ07–200 is 4.8a (1152w) inrush and run. Only way to see the soft start ramp up is looking amps climbing. Added an inrush pic below but super cool to watch it kick on and go from 0 to 4.8a. Super pumped…literally.

Still need to cap and route electrical so not quite done yet.

Attachments

• 98760368-1675-41E9-BDE8-50CA5170D910.jpeg
    98760368-1675-41E9-BDE8-50CA5170D910.jpeg
    448.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 333C9AE3-D394-4B37-AFA0-3F4DE9BED507.jpeg
    333C9AE3-D394-4B37-AFA0-3F4DE9BED507.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 41
Got it on sale for $945, including stainless 3” barb. Heck of a deal. Haven’t been back to the cabin since installing but man what a difference in starting power while there. Now I don’t need a hulk of an inverter to run it which will offset some costs. Everything there is ready. 1)critical loads panel done, 2)well pump done and now in critical load panel, 3) other misc wiring and lighting done. All this prep is to decrease energy needs so I can have a smaller inverter, maybe two only for redundancy. Backup Generator can be much smaller also.

Got it on sale for $945, including stainless 3” barb. Heck of a deal. Haven’t been back to the cabin since installing but man what a difference in starting power while there. Now I don’t need a hulk of an inverter to run it which will offset some costs. Everything there is ready. 1)critical loads panel done, 2)well pump done and now in critical load panel, 3) other misc wiring and lighting done. All this prep is to decrease energy needs so I can have a smaller inverter, maybe two only for redundancy. Backup Generator can be much smaller also.
Wow that's a good price. No more than regular well pumps.

I need a bebop system for my well pump. It pulls 23 amps inrush at 240v. I've been considering just getting a low frequency inverter and batteries but maybe I can come out ahead putting in the grundfos pump and a smaller inverter and batteries.

Need to research this more

Had to replace my well pump at my cabin and went with Grundfos SQ so it will easily start with inverter and/or generator without having a massive system. Buy once/Cry once.

Old 1/2 HP Franklin was 34a (8100w) inrush and 7a run. Duromax 10k was only generator that could start this thing.

New 3/4 HP Grundfos 10 SQ07–200 is 4.8a (1152w) inrush and run. Only way to see the soft start ramp up is looking amps climbing. Added an inrush pic below but super cool to watch it kick on and go from 0 to 4.8a. Super pumped…literally.

Still need to cap and route electrical so not quite done yet.
Love Grundfos. Have a SQE3 in my well.

I have the SQ-5 (120V Soft-start) which is 280' deep pushing to a 50Gal pressure tank and then 75' to house from the pumphouse. Never ever notice the pump kick on/off when in the shower (where we all notice that hehehe). Mine starts at 550W and stages up to 1200W when it reaches 54PSI cutoff. I can observe this easily as I have a PEACEFAIR PZEM-011 meter between my Inverter & AC Panel which lets me see AC Watts & Amps realtime as things are going on. My Pumphouse & Powerhouse are a combined structure.

I have the SQ-5 (120V Soft-start) which is 280' deep pushing to a 50Gal pressure tank and then 75' to house from the pumphouse. Never ever notice the pump kick on/off when in the shower (where we all notice that hehehe). Mine starts at 550W and stages up to 1200W when it reaches 54PSI cutoff. I can observe this easily as I have a PEACEFAIR PZEM-011 meter between my Inverter & AC Panel which lets me see AC Watts & Amps realtime as things are going on. My Pumphouse & Powerhouse are a combined structure.
Do those ct based meters show inrush? I have an iotawatt system and it doesn't show the inrush current if my well.

I have an emporia and it doesn’t show inrush unfortunately. I had to use a meter for before and after testing/validation.

Do those ct based meters show inrush? I have an iotawatt system and it doesn't show the inrush current if my well.
IF you are watching the display you can see inrush spikes, but this does NOT happen when the SQ5 starts, there is no inrush thanks to soft-start.

IF you are watching the display you can see inrush spikes, but this does NOT happen when the SQ5 starts, there is no inrush thanks to soft-start.
Agree. Only way to watch it is with clamp meter. Can see it start with a few hundred watts. Pretty damn awesome.

They are awesome. When we had our well drilled the installer was aware we were going to be off grid and suggested we install a Grundfos SQ series pump, glad he talked us into it.

The only regret I have is going with the 240 volt model, wish I would have went 120 volt. At the time I wired the cabin as if it were going to get grid power and ran the inverter output into a auto transformer to the service panel, not realizing how much power was wasted for that one and only 240 load. Now we have the auto transformer on the load side of the pressure switch which eliminates losses.

@saggys Wow good/interesting idea. Which Autotransformer are you using to step up to 240v on the loads side of pressure switch? You may have solved a big issue for me. My well is the only 240v in my critical loads panel.

People should REALLY LOOK at the Grundfos Doc's before buying. They have excellent information and are very clear about 120V / 240V & even 3-Phase and the limits / capabilities. MANY would be very surprised to find that they have no need of a 240V pump... time have changed, wives tales have not.

Even my Radiant Floor Heating system uses a soft-start 2 stage Grunfos pump... uses so little power it is barely noticeable. AND it is absolutely silent (many may not appreciate that point).

I used an old Trace T220 transformer, but there are others out there that should work also. I used the Trace/Xantrex T240 on the output of the inverter initially, but it was too large for the space needed by the pressure switch.

People should REALLY LOOK at the Grundfos Doc's before buying. They have excellent information and are very clear about 120V / 240V & even 3-Phase and the limits / capabilities. MANY would be very surprised to find that they have no need of a 240V pump... time have changed, wives tales have not.

Even my Radiant Floor Heating system uses a soft-start 2 stage Grunfos pump... uses so little power it is barely noticeable. AND it is absolutely silent (many may not appreciate that point).
I wanted to use a 120v pump but to get to the wiring to redo all would be a pain. Thinking I may push 120v to Autotransformer now to step up to 240 only for the pump out of critical loads. This will solve many problems.

I used an old Trace T220 transformer, but there are others out there that should work also. I used the Trace/Xantrex T240 on the output of the inverter initially, but it was too large for the space needed by the pressure switch.
So now thinking the following setup: Main Panel->Victron Quattro 5k 120v/48->Critical Loads Panel (to serve all 120v loads)->One 30a Breaker (120v)->Victron Autotransformer with 120 to 240v step up->well Pump.
This way no major rewiring needs to get redone and can run off a 120v inverter.

Thoughts?

Motor starting surge (inrush?) tends to last 0.5 to 1.0 seconds, and may be a declining envelope. CT can read it, although meter may not. My HF Ames clamp ammeter has inrush function.

Different kind of inrush, capacitor precharge or transformer saturation, I've used CT with scope and it didn't have the frequency response (maybe due to core material?) It is possible a motor's LRC has similar high peak, I should look and see. For transformer inrush I get a better figure using Fluke i2000 "Rowgowski" coil, which is air core and 20 kHz bandwidth. LRA and saturated transformer is basically resistance limited, so you might be able to make an estimated calculation if you took a 4-wire resistance measurement.

The iotawatt reads it im sure, just doesn't show it
Motor starting surge (inrush?) tends to last 0.5 to 1.0 seconds, and may be a declining envelope. CT can read it, although meter may not. My HF Ames clamp ammeter has inrush function.

Different kind of inrush, capacitor precharge or transformer saturation, I've used CT with scope and it didn't have the frequency response (maybe due to core material?) It is possible a motor's LRC has similar high peak, I should look and see. For transformer inrush I get a better figure using Fluke i2000 "Rowgowski" coil, which is air core and 20 kHz bandwidth. LRA and saturated transformer is basically resistance limited, so you might be able to make an estimated calculation if you took a 4-wire resistance measurement.

I have a jet pump on a 2" well x 80' deep. It goes into an 80 gal pressure tank that kicks on at 30psi and off to 50psi. The jet pump is killing me. Too many amps on startup, external soft start ineffective. The well guy tells me to go with a submersible pump I need to drill a 4" well. Is that correct and do you have a pressure pump between your pump and the pressure tank? I guess I'm asking for your design data from well to tank?

Last edited:
I have a jet pump on a 2" well x 80' deep. It goes into an 80 gal pressure tank that kicks on at 30psi and off to 50psi. The jet pump is killing me. Too many amps on startup, external soft start ineffective. The well guy tells me to go with a submersible pump I need to drill a 4" well. Is that correct and do you have a pressure pump between your pump and the pressure tank? I guess I'm asking for your design data from well to tank?
O don't have any extra pumps or anything, Deep well pump goes to a 50 Gallon pressure tank through a sediment filter and then to the house through a microfilter system.

Back