diy solar

diy solar

Dead Well Pump

ChrisG

Solar Addict
Bought a cabin 2 years ago and sellers did not provide accurate well information, neither did inspector. Anyway got to cabin this weekend to open it up and no water. Decided to lift cover off head area for the first time and found this mess. Obviously electrical needs to be redone to code. Well pump must be dead or broken wire in well as there is 240v AC in the crap junction box but not running. Of course in hindsight I’m kicking my own butt not getting the well head looked at specifically prior to purchase.

When I was evaluating solar for this 240v pump last year, it measured 34.5a surge and 7a run at the panel breaker with 11.5 GPM flow at pressure tank (40/60). I gave up on an inverter due to the surge but now things may change.

Just going to rip this out and redo with Gundfos 10 SQ05 240v which should allow me to start on an inverter or at least a small 240v generator. Any other pumps I should look at or just bite the bullet on the SQ? Looks like many have had success with Grundfos. 3AC4F796-BD73-4B39-BE63-787EF3EFB2DE.jpeg
12A48D78-5E1E-491A-8B05-38A53F1A2EE2.jpeg

E8E8C259-713B-4BC3-9597-439EB9CCF158.jpeg

Last edited:
Bought a cabin 2 years ago and sellers did not provide accurate well information, neither did inspector. Anyway got to cabin this weekend to open it up and no water. Decided to lift cover off head area for the first time and found this mess. Obviously electrical needs to be redone to code. Well pump must be dead or broken wire in well as there is 240v AC in the crap junction box but not running. Of course in hindsight I’m kicking my own butt not getting the well head looked at specifically prior to purchase.

When I was evaluating solar for this 240v pump last year, it measured 34.5a surge and 7a run at the panel breaker with 11.5 GPM flow at pressure tank (40/60). I gave up on an inverter due to the surge but now things may change.

Just going to rip this out and redo with Gundfos 10 SQ05 240v which should allow me to start on an inverter or at least a small 240v generator. Any other pumps I should look at or just bite the bullet on the SQ? Looks like many have had success with Grundfos. View attachment 135707
View attachment 135708

View attachment 135709
I’ll never understand someone using an indoor junction box outdoors… especially at a well head?

I’ll never understand someone using an indoor junction box outdoors… especially at a well head?
I was absolutely shocked but then again you should have seen the original sub panel previous owners had. Nothing surprises me here anymore

Last edited:
Just going to rip this out and redo with Gundfos 10 SQ05 240v which should allow me to start on an inverter or at least a small 240v generator. Any other pumps I should look at or just bite the bullet on the SQ? Looks like many have had success with Grundfos.
Good choice. Buy once, cry once.

I bought an Eco-Worthy 12vdc pump from Amazon for $107 in 2020. Can't speak of it's performance but it is stainless and appears of good quality. Not anything near 11GPM but enough depending. Maybe I'll use it full-time someday but for now it's a prepper item, followed up by a decent "well bucket".

Here's a DIY well forum that might be of help:

AZ has a well registry that lists all physical details of a well including the installed hardware. You might have that in your area.

Just going to rip this out and redo with Gundfos 10 SQ05 240v which should allow me to start on an inverter or at least a small 240v generator. Any other pumps I should look at or just bite the bullet on the SQ? Looks like many have had success with Grundfos.

SQ are great pumps. When the time comes to invest $50K in a 700' deep well, that's what I'm getting.

AZ has a well registry that lists all physical details of a well including the installed hardware. You might have that in your area.

SQ are great pumps. When the time comes to invest $50K in a 700' deep well, that's what I'm getting.
@sunshine_eggo now that I have to replace this I’m rethinking my inverter strategy. Working on a Victron system with my friend for backup loads and now considering Victron for this cabin (maybe positive outcome of a dead well pump ;)). This well would be the only 240v load in a very balanced subpanel. The SQ that will meet requirements has a 1.5kw load at full power. Think a Quattro 5k 120v with Autotransformer to step up and make split phase would work for both grid pass through and inverting? Based on a year of emporia energy monitoring, I’d say peak of other 120v loads would be 2.2 kw, so total of 3.7kw if all running at once. Not sure if AT 120
Step up to 240 would have any additional loses.

So just to throw some napkin math in here...

His old pump was 7a @ 240v so 1680w. Let's math that out...

1680w / 120v = 14a
1680w / 48v = 35a
1680w / 12v = 140a

Now factor in the voltage loss for the depth and it seems a DC pump's wire requirements really add up fast. In a perfect world, maybe the best idea woukd be a high voltage DC pump, say 48v -> 480v which would allow a lot of headroom for increasing the wire diameter.

Or am I smoking crack again?

@sunshine_eggo now that I have to replace this I’m rethinking my inverter strategy. Working on a Victron system with my friend for backup loads and now considering Victron for this cabin (maybe positive outcome of a dead well pump ;)). This well would be the only 240v load in a very balanced subpanel. The SQ that will meet requirements has a 1.5kw load at full power. Think a Quattro 5k 120v with Autotransformer to step up and make split phase would work for both grid pass through and inverting? Based on a year of emporia energy monitoring, I’d say peak of other 120v loads would be 2.2 kw, so total of 3.7kw if all running at once. Not sure if AT 120
Step up to 240 would have any additional loses.

Given the numbers, a Quattro would be fine. You definitely want the 48V version as @Rednecktek 's numbers suggest.

At will get you 120/240V split phase from 120V unit. The AT is high 90s % efficient.

Not going to replace the wire that is already between house and pump switch. It would be a long run and want to keep on AC from grid, inverter, or generator.
Just don't use the extra wire? I replaced my 240V AC pump with a Grundfos 120V AC pump and no longer have any voltage sag or any other issues using same wiring.

Aaahhhh, so half the horsepower but much higher efficiency then.

Grundfos has a mind boggling array of choices. In many cases, lower power results in less kW/gpm. My neighbor swapped his 3hp for a 2hp and would previously take 4.3kW for 7gpm (0.61kW/gpm). Now he's 2.2kW for 4.5gpm (0.49kW/gpm), and it's much less hammer to the inverter (not a SQ version... near 50A Surge. Has a 6kW/18kW surge Sigineer beast).

Just don't use the extra wire? I replaced my 240V AC pump with a Grundfos 120V AC pump and no longer have any voltage sag or any other issues using same wiring.
@rhino
I only have two wires, L1/L2, coming from house out to well head, guess I could repurpose one as a neutral. No ground wire as far as I can tell. What would the benefit be doing 120 vs leaving as 240v?

Back