diy solar

diy solar

Half price electric cars

..... presumably due to demand charges being paid to the utility.
Yes, demand charges are an absolute killer. Some charging station providers install stationary batteries on site to reduce demand charges (and other costs like equipment upgrades). But adding batteries also adds cost, so it's a two-edged sword. The money math really doesn't come close to working until you reach high utilization, which only Tesla has been able to do in the US. And even they only get there in certain locations.

Oh, for sure, the charging stations are a profitable business.
Of course it is higher than residential power at home.

Its faster, and available away from home, so it costs more.
Yes, the point is for a longer road trip where you are away from cheap or maybe "free" solar charging at home, you may be paying more than you would have to fuel a gas vehicle.

Too much Santa Claus and not enough Grinch.
Need to tax the bad more than provide incentives on the good.
I believe a $1,000 tax per cylinder would do more than the $7,500 EV credit.
So you can force people who can’t afford it to pay $8000 for a car?
If ma and pa are buying a used Mercury then suddenly the tax is worth more than the car.

Doesn’t seem to altruistic or even feasible.

Unless you are talking about new cars which no one is buying anyway.

I think to blame the failure of Fisker on EVs is a mistake. Fisker has a long track record of poor management. How does a billion dollar valuation company lose orders and payment records?

Fiskar is going down because it was run in a way that would destroy any company. Its as simple as that.

Time? You mean how long did those drives take? Not much longer than in a gas car. I am old and have to pee every two hours and stretch my legs or I get stiff. By the time I have done that the car is charged and I am ready to got to the next stop. My wife did get a speeding ticket in Wyoming for going 95MPH while I was sleeping in the front seat. We also found a lot of Superchargers near restaurants so by the time we had a bite to eat the car was charged. Superchargers are everywhere along the Interstates.
For your average person that doesn’t need stop all the time how much time does it cost?

I’ve seen plenty of video of cross country Tesla even using the superchargers take a lot of time.

Broken or not working chargers.
Unavailable chargers
Etc.

No other system will work unless charging times drop down to under 10 Minutes.
Charging takes me 20 seconds max. I plug it in and that's it, the car gets automatically filled while I'm doing other things. When I want to drive again it's ready with a full enough tank.

As for highway travel / charging, the DC fast charger time aligns with the break time I'd want anyway. At destination just plug in, same as at home and it charges when you are doing other things (like sleeping).

Too much Santa Claus and not enough Grinch.
Need to tax the bad more than provide incentives on the good.
I believe a $1,000 tax per cylinder would do more than the $7,500 EV credit.
Ban all private vehicles ownership. Nobody needs a car. Think of the environment and take the bus.

Oh, for sure, the charging stations are a profitable business.
Of course it is higher than residential power at home.

Its faster, and available away from home, so it costs more.
yea they have to be profitable. no company is gonna spend millions of dollars to put them there without eventually paying it back lmao
same deal with any gas station

are there ones that can be plugged into regular 15-20 amp outlets?
I think it's weird to be so eager to fast charge, when slow is better for battery.. Talking of course about the 8-14 hours someone parks their car at home every day
Every EV can be slow charged on a regular AC outlet and that's the majority of charging.

DC fast charging is really only a thing for highway trips if the distance to destination is further than the car's range.

That's the majority of driver use cases in Australia.
That's majority everywhere in the world
BYD sells their cheapest car (Seagull)in China for $9700. And they make a profit on that.

Seems to have a 30 or 38kWh LFP battery using their blade design

USA WHEN

Every EV can be slow charged on a regular AC outlet and that's the majority of charging.

DC fast charging is really only a thing for highway trips if the distance to destination is further than the car's range.
oh really? I see all these people cry about needing multi thousand dollar plugs etc
that's good stuff then. I drive so infrequently I'll charge mine on 1 amp for a week

I think to blame the failure of Fisker on EVs is a mistake. Fisker has a long track record of poor management. How does a billion dollar valuation company lose orders and payment records?

Fiskar is going down because it was run in a way that would destroy any company. Its as simple as that.
yep no doubt. It's a bad globally but they're LUXURY which gives them an extra hit and they also have shit structure and always have had.

So why aren't more people buying EV's if they are cheaper overall?
What's the #1 selling car is the world?

Tesla Model Y

In 2023 it overtook the Toyota Corolla's long held crown.

EVs, like many products, start with the higher end offerings, then make their way down to the more affordable options. One of the issues with the USA is the lack of Chinese Ev options there. BYD, SAIC and others are making millions of very affordable EVs which are scaring the pants off the traditional makers.

I have an MG4, it's fantastic.

I think the love affair with the EV is good. I hope they work out to be a viable option in the future. One thing that makes them attractive is that its government helping you pay for it. (Just like our 30% solar tax credit) Take away the good ole government spending our hard earned money and see how bad new EV sales drop. Also, what happens with the roads once all the ICE vehicles are dead and gone? The fuel tax is what funds most highway infrastructure. Wait till the EV owners start getting a little letter from the IRS and the state wanting to know the mileage on the car or the KWH charge history on it so that you can pay a tax to help take care of the roads. Now suddenly the EV is a lot more expensive to own. The price of owning an EV will go way higher once the tax portion comes into play. The EV industry has had a bit of a free ride using roads and bridges built by the good ole ICE engine being taxed millions of times per day. I live in the country and drive hundreds of miles per week for work and play, so an EV is not even feasible for me.

For your average person that doesn’t need stop all the time how much time does it cost?

I’ve seen plenty of video of cross country Tesla even using the superchargers take a lot of time.

Broken or not working chargers.
Unavailable chargers
Etc.
When I drive my model s cross country it take 10-15% time longer than it would take with my ICE car.
So far I’ve never been prevented to charge at a supercharger station due to broken chargers.

What's the #1 selling car is the world?

Tesla Model Y

In 2023 it overtook the Toyota Corolla's long held crown.

EVs, like many products, start with the higher end offerings, then make their way down to the more affordable options. One of the issues with the USA is the lack of Chinese Ev options there. BYD, SAIC and others are making millions of very affordable EVs which are scaring the pants off the traditional makers.

I have an MG4, it's fantastic.
yea the chinese mopeds are illegal in the states on streets and they're only a few hundred dollars, for over a decade.. really hope to see the cars get here sometime.

I am hearing some Gossip from my old friends in engineering that Musk is having a lot of financial issues.
Musk's only financial issue is his disastrous Twitter acquisition, but that damage has already been done. Even with TSLA down 60% from its highs he still has well over $100 billion worth of shares. And SpaceX has no problem raising money from 3rd parties.

It would not be surprising considering EV sales have dropped
EV sales rise every year. Tesla Model Y was the best selling vehicle in the world last year. Not the best selling EV -- it beat Toyota Corolla out for the #1 overall spot.

------------------------------------------------
People worried about distance travel should consider a plug-in hybrid (PHEV). Toyota RAV4 Prime (sub $30k) and Prius Prime ($40k-ish) have 40 mile EV range, enough for typical commute and errands. Plug in each night and drive the next day on the same cheap electrons as a Tesla. If you go on a long trip the gas engine fires up and gets 40 (RAV4) or 50 (Prius) mpg. That's cheaper than Supercharging in most of the country, not to mention faster and more convenient. Best of both worlds. Unfortunately Toyota builds few Primes and they're in demand, so good luck finding one at MSRP.

The upcoming Ramcharger pickup will have 100++ mile electric range plus a V6 for distance towing. Ram will probably load it up with all kinds of frou-frou options and charge $90k for it.

Back