diy solar

diy solar

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?

@SpongeboB Sinewave

How do you set the TOU settings? It is still not in the manual, or changelog that I can find. I'm want to purchase one, but I need this to work. Thanks

What was the forum thread for this ? I am trying to find this answer out and I do not know the answer. I am asking Ryan and support but I would like the answer to be posted, whether it can be done or not in the forum. But I am asking the question to the ones that would know better than I would know.

I appreciate this question !

Oh ! Maybe the thread is titled:

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?​

What was the forum thread for this ? I am trying to find this answer out and I do not know the answer. I am asking Ryan and support but I would like the answer to be posted, whether it can be done or not in the forum. But I am asking the question to the ones that would know better than I would know.

I appreciate this question !

Oh ! Maybe the thread is titled:

Has anybody used the Rosie inverter yet for prime time?​

@SpongeboB Sinewave
That title is correct. It is listed on a couple websites that Rosie is being sold that it does have TOU, but I haven't seen it stated anywhere else. The Midnite website doesn't even mention it.
This is why I'm asking. I want to use her for peak shifting and for ESS, so it's important for me that she has it.

I'm sure she will eventually if not right now. If she does now, I'm a buyer.

Any word on release of the comm box?

@SpongeboB Sinewave
That title is correct. It is listed on a couple websites that Rosie is being sold that it does have TOU, but I haven't seen it stated anywhere else. The Midnite website doesn't even mention it.
This is why I'm asking. I want to use her for peak shifting and for ESS, so it's important for me that she has it.

I'm sure she will eventually if not right now. If she does now, I'm a buyer.

Any word on release of the comm box?

Here is what I hear from one of our guys....

it's in INVERTER CONFIG / AC INPUT CONTROL

LOAD XFER
INV XFER
time on/off

does it work?? maybe
not tested here

Here is what I hear from one of our guys....

it's in INVERTER CONFIG / AC INPUT CONTROL

LOAD XFER
INV XFER
time on/off

does it work?? maybe
not tested here

Oh, also it evidently used to work from Ryan, another of our guys.

We are going through a lot of new features and testing and stuff.

I have been working on other things but I will do some testing myself when I get to AZ for a couple weeks after Thanksgiving. That is where my test setup is. The sun shines better in AZ :)

Does anyone know how many units can be paralleled? I can't find the answer anywhere other than that they can be paralleled.

At least 2. We have not tried more yet.

Haven't gotten the go ahead from the head honcho. Making sure everything else works correctly first.

boB
Awesome, thank you for confirming. I have been meaning to get in touch with Ryan to ask him but I understand he can be quite busy these days!

1. Will the Rosie have any kind of Grid Interaction like load shaving or similar to the Schneider Conext SW & XW's AC Support Mode? Will the Rosie have any kind of grid connection pass thru for loads?
- MN ... Yes the Rosie has grid support, LBX and HBX mode already as well as road maps for peak shaving etc
for this inverter to cover all the homes loads I’d assume all the loads would have to be moved from the main panel to a subpanel, is that correct? what are they meaning in this case when they say grid support LBX HBX?

I think it can pass through twice that amount.

Inverter rated 7kW, but has 120/240V input & output, L1 & L2, 60A.
That would appear to support 14.4kW pass-through.

It says 60A max breaker. If those were thermal/magnetic, use up to 80% continuous, 48W. But the CBI magnetic-hydraulic breakers Midnight sells can operate 100% continuous.

Of course, if grid input isn't present, inverter can't sustain more than 7kW indefinitely. Some overload or a limited time.

"• Grid Support – Rosie uses grid AC for loads based on SOC % or Battery Voltage. o SOC%:
▪ Low SOC % - Rosie uses AC IN (grid) to charge batts and run loads.
▪ High SOC % - Rosie disables AC IN and uses batt bank to run loads. o Battery Voltage:

▪ LBX – Set to low Batt V setpoint. If Batt V drops below the LBX threshold for 1 minute and if the grid is valid, connect to the grid. If the charger is enabled, it will charge, if not set to charge but in grid mode, standby. If the voltage pops above the threshold before the grid becomes valid, LBX will be reset and will not connect to grid.

▪ HBX – Set to high Batt V setpoint. If the voltage goes above HBX threshold for 1 minute and if connected, then Rosie disconnects from grid. "

Do you mean 1 phase of AC input?

This from manual shows L1, L2, N. With 60A breaker per pole.
They indicate 120V or split-phase, so I think two inverters that can be configured series or parallel (but neutral might limit pass-through to same 60A.)

1703173077804.png

I believe the Rosie only has 1 AC input.
Do you mean 1 phase of AC input?
No, I misread the first post above. My mistake. You never said it had 2 separate (split phase) AC inputs, I just hadn't had enough coffee yet this morning. At least that's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it!

We're in agreement, one split phase AC input.

I think it can pass through twice that amount.

That would appear to support 14.4kW pass-through.

It says 60A max breaker. If those were thermal/magnetic, use up to 80% continuous, 48W. But the CBI magnetic-hydraulic breakers Midnight sells can operate 100% continuous.

Of course, if grid input isn't present, inverter can't sustain more than 7kW indefinitely. Some overload or a limited time.

"• Grid Support – Rosie uses grid AC for loads based on SOC % or Battery Voltage. o SOC%:
▪ Low SOC % - Rosie uses AC IN (grid) to charge batts and run loads.
▪ High SOC % - Rosie disables AC IN and uses batt bank to run loads. o Battery Voltage:

▪ LBX – Set to low Batt V setpoint. If Batt V drops below the LBX threshold for 1 minute and if the grid is valid, connect to the grid. If the charger is enabled, it will charge, if not set to charge but in grid mode, standby. If the voltage pops above the threshold before the grid becomes valid, LBX will be reset and will not connect to grid.

▪ HBX – Set to high Batt V setpoint. If the voltage goes above HBX threshold for 1 minute and if connected, then Rosie disconnects from grid. "
From every thing I read here it still seems like the grid and inverter cannot supply the load simultaneously. Pass through yes but not at the same time as the inverter is supplying the load. This is unfortunate (this sucks) because the inverter at 7kw could supply all of a homes loads almost all the time. Rarely do most homes have constant loads above 7kw. But when the loads exceed 7kw, inverters should continue to supply their max output and the grid should supply the excess power above 7kw that’s needed. I mean my cheap $300 inverters do that. And it’s nuts having to move all the loads to a separate panel.. makes things complicated and costly.

Last edited:
Back