diy solar

diy solar

Heltec BMS' (up to 350A) with Active Balancing & Independent Active Balancers

Does anyone know if the Heltec 5 amp or 1.2 amp 8s active balancers would work in harmony with Overkillsolar's 8S BMS? Seems to me the active balancers would be a good add on for the larger LifePo4 cells, especially the 280ah ones.

Seems to me the active balancers would be a good add on for the larger LifePo4 cells, especially the 280ah ones.

I was thinking the same.

In some of Will's older videos I believe he kept the leads for his active balancer installed on his battery packs with the Daly BMS and had no issues as far as I know (but he didn't leave the active balancer plugged in).

Also curious what the difference, and pros/cons of 'inductive' vs 'capacitive' active balancers would be.

You are ok with a low cell disconnect of 2.1 volts?
I don't think those values are accurate. I asked if I could have it set to 2.5v and Echo said just note it when placing the order.
One of the links I posted shows low cell disconnect as 2.8v. I doesn't make sense that the numbers are all over like that.
Also, I checked Chargery and Daly and both of their documents showed low cell disconnect as 2 or 2.1. I know both of those are user changeable though.

I don't think those values are accurate. I asked if I could have it set to 2.5v and Echo said just note it when placing the order.
One of the links I posted shows low cell disconnect as 2.8v. I doesn't make sense that the numbers are all over like that.
Also, I checked Chargery and Daly and both of their documents showed low cell disconnect as 2 or 2.1. I know both of those are user changeable though.
Its good that they will set it for you but what is the default?

Also curious what the difference, and pros/cons of 'inductive' vs 'capacitive' active balancers would be.

Good point. Would really like to learn more about this. Heltec's price is great for any of the active balancers.

Good point. Would really like to learn more about this. Heltec's price is great for any of the active balancers.
Resistance balancers are basically constant rate.
Active balancers slow down as the voltages converge.

I'm pretty sure the Chargery default value for over discharge protection (P) voltage is 2.5.

EDIT: huge crosspost, I wrote this comment before seeing like the last 8 comments, so disregard half of it :D

You are ok with a low cell disconnect of 2.1 volts?

No, that is way too low for my comfort. Someone somewhere said that the seller was willing to program LVD voltage at time of sale. Can't remember where I saw that. But I'm lost as to why 2.1V would be there default with LFP.

What I meant by:

I feel like this Heltec BMS is another good option, that might turn out to be pretty popular.

Is that I think it potentially shows promise, and could fill a niche not yet filled by any of the popular options on this forum. Also, they seem to a decent selection of high current models.

But honestly I only started looking at them yesterday, I don't know enough about them to really have an opinion yet.

Would be curious to hear @upnorthandpersonal impression so far. I believe he was the first to purchase one.

Resistance balancers are basically constant rate.
Active balancers slow down as the voltages converge.

Joey, I'm (semi) clear on the basics of active vs passive, but Heltec seems to offer two forms of active "inductance" and "capacitive" capacitive is much higher current (upto 5A vs 1.2A for inductance)

Would be curious to hear @upnorthandpersonal impression so far.

In my opinion it's great. It has tons of configuration options (like charge an discharge over current protection, low temp cut-off that is configurable and works, over and under voltages etc.), robust enclosure without any dongles dangling about (on the later models they make, the ones encased in black aluminium). They can also actually handle the advertised current and have a pretty high charge current compared to others. Once I had them configured, they just sit there doing their job and I haven't had to think about them since. I introduce test failures at times to see if they (and the rest of the system) operate as they should, and no issues thus far.

In my opinion it's great. It has tons of configuration options (like charge an discharge over current protection, low temp cut-off that is configurable and works, over and under voltages etc.), robust enclosure without any dongles dangling about (on the later models they make, the ones encased in black aluminium). They can also actually handle the advertised current and have a pretty high charge current compared to others. Once I had them configured, they just sit there doing their job and I haven't had to think about them since. I introduce test failures at times to see if they (and the rest of the system) operate as they should, and no issues thus far.

Sounds great! Do you have a thread where you have documented your purchase and/or usage?

Thanks. For some reason, the Wordpress Heltec page doesn't show any of the BMSs that are on the Aliexpress page.

I know, I was frustrated by that (spent forever trying to find it), since I was trying to have all my links go straight to the relevant product, its one of the featured BMS on their front page slideshow but its not in their product list on the site. I get the feeling the wordpress site is not their main focus and something they just quickly threw together.

Is this one user configurable?

Back