diy solar

diy solar

How do Calif. Community Enegery Electric Generation Charges work with solar PV?

Wouldn't it be nice if you could just buy your kWh and delivery fees on the auction open market at competitive prices and just pay for what you need?
As I have said, I am a free market guy, but after watching Enron game the market in California in 2000 and hearing about the free market prices in Texas this summer and last winter I have purchase solar panels, inverters and batteries in the free market and am moving toward self sufficiency. I also have two EVs so I don't have to worry about world politics affecting the cost of driving my cars.

CPA’s annual cash settlement is on page 3 here and it’s written a lot better than pioneer’s
Before I moved to Northern California, I went to a lot of the community meetings for CPA during its formation six years ago and I learned a lot. They had a lot of resources available to them and got off to a great start. The County's budget ranks it 19th compared to all other Countries (yes, COUNTRIES) in the world.

SVCE says that if any customers are delinquent, they will be dumped back on PG&E.

"Heads I win, tails you lose"

They are taking a significant revenue stream from the IOUs and they are not happy about it, but the enabling legislation specifically prohibits them from saying anything negative about the CCAs.

I thought corporations were people, with constitutional rights like freedom of speech.

"Here in the United States, businesses and people alike have the same protections of free speech. This gives them the ability to voice their opinions on matters of public concern in the same way that individuals do."

I thought corporations were people, with constitutional rights like freedom of speech.
I don't know the details of the prohibition but I am sure it was tested some how. This is in the context of a regulated utility not being allowed to bad mouth a consumer choice. The IOUs have chosen to make the bills more complicated..I did have a staff person tell me I could not hook up a device like a Emporia Vue because I was with a CCA. A quick escalation to a Supervisor corrected that situation.

SVCE says that if any customers are delinquent, they will be dumped back on PG&E.

"Here in the United States, businesses and people alike have the same protections of free speech. This gives them the ability to voice their opinions on matters of public concern in the same way that individuals do."
I don’t have “constitutional rights.” I have unalienable rights protected (supposedly) by the Constitution. But I don’t live in California.

I thought PG&E did the billing for CCAs? How does one pay part of a bill and allocate it to only the PG&E portion?

I read it as meaning the delinquent customers will be fired as a customer, and I guess PG&E might be more obligated to take customers back than a CCA.

I doubt PG&E will do the collections for the CCA part.

Are you sure the rate increase calculation is different than PG&E? If both PG&E and CCA calculate the credit with the rate in effect at the month of the export, then they would be pretty similar except in the timing of the change. What is best for you will be different depending on whether the rate goes up or down.

IMO getting NEM credits for the rate in effect at the time / month of export is close enough to "fair" for me.

Dont know if the calcs are different. The difference is how the surplus credits are counted/banked. PGE in kwh, CCA in dollars. When theirs a CCA January rate increase the CCA "surplus dollars" are devalued the amount of the rate increase. In other words, up to 9 months of credits could be devalued if they are required to help offset charges in the winter/Jan/Feb/March. In April CCA trueup happens and the cycle starts over. If the pv is over producing during the winter then this does not apply.

If credit is in kwh's, PGE, PGE "dollar" rate increase(s) does not change the credits value when being applied to offset winter charges due to credits being in kwh. Put another way, one kwh equals one kwh and price per kwh does not matter. If CCA $35 credit is accrued at .32 kwh, that CCA $35 will not pay for the same amount of kwh when kwh rate increases to .38 kwh.

If this logic and info is flawed or incorrect I'm all ears...

Dont know if the calcs are different. The difference is how the surplus credits are counted/banked. PGE in kwh, CCA in dollars. When theirs a CCA January rate increase the CCA "surplus dollars" are devalued the amount of the rate increase. In other words, up to 9 months of credits could be devalued if they are required to help offset charges in the winter/Jan/Feb/March. In April CCA trueup happens and the cycle starts over. If the pv is over producing during the winter then this does not apply.

If credit is in kwh's, PGE, PGE "dollar" rate increase(s) does not change the credits value when being applied to offset winter charges due to credits being in kwh. Put another way, one kwh equals one kwh and price per kwh does not matter. If CCA $35 credit is accrued at .32 kwh, that CCA $35 will not pay for the same amount of kwh when kwh rate increases to .38 kwh.

If this logic and info is flawed or incorrect I'm all ears...
I understand what you are saying. My PCIA charge from my utility is about $0.045 per kW added onto my community power costs each month.
The entire utility bill is like getting one of those smelly sticky substances that won't wash off on your hands. I hate it.

Ah, some may be short sighted here. I suspect and am quite certain that a court, either State or Federal will expand the rights of tax paying corporations and maybe not for profits too, to add the ability to hold an elected office. Then your Senator could be Monsanto or GE!

I thought PG&E did the billing for CCAs? How does one pay part of a bill and allocate it to only the PG&E portion?

PG&E bills me for their delivery and the CCA's power. And for multiple properties. I make a single payment.
Don't know how PG&E would allocate partial payments.

CCA keeps the good customers, PG&E is forced to take the bad ones. All profits to the CCA with zero risk. All risk and loss to PG&E.

PG&E bills me for their delivery and the CCA's power. And for multiple properties. I make a single payment.
Don't know how PG&E would allocate partial payments.

CCA keeps the good customers, PG&E is forced to take the bad ones. All profits to the CCA with zero risk. All risk and loss to PG&E.
PG&E employs an army of lobbyists to communicate that the State is responsible for the purchasing and supply of electricity to residents of the state, not the utility. If they don't pay, they get disconnected. So they relentlessly lobby for taxpayer and ratepayer monies for all those persons who cannot afford to pay for electricity while residents of the state. They never suffer except by the hands of their own mismanagement.

The entire utility bill is like getting one of those smelly sticky substances that won't wash off on your hands. I hate it.
PG&E has no incentive to make it simpler. It is in their interest for customers to blame the CCA for complicated billing and then elect to dump the CCA in favor of just PG&E.

Back