diy solar

diy solar

How do DIY folks deal with NEC 690.4 (C) - Qualified Persons Only

PE license generally trumps a license. You will still need to submit all the required documents for permits and inspections.
If you're not a PE then you're probably not qualified.

My county (Nevada County, California) building department confirmed with me today after a very interesting phone call that I could become a "qualified person" by completing an online NFPA 70E exam. ... Our county off-grid solar handout states:

"System shall be designed by a licensed solar contractor for residential projects and a licensed
electrical engineer for commercial projects."
I think resurrecting a topic is fine! I enjoyed reading it all. This title is rather big “How do DIY folks deal with NEC 690.4 (C) - Qualified Persons Only”

It can swing from the “who cares about code” group to the “obey the strictest application of every code on earth” group – I do not think there are many (if any) of the latter in here.

I am in Placer County, right next to you. I am also licensed (inactive-retired). I did not want to activate. One clerk told me I merely had to take the class as well, so I did. I did all of the drawings (during covid), had to have an EE stamp them (all via email - he also modified some calculations), submitted everything online, got the permit, somewhat fought with PG&E (all emails and modified drawings) to become 'approved' by them as an individual to do a grid-tied system, then went back and forth for two months to get approval to turn it on. Just as an aside, their last block was "you did not send us a picture of your gas service", my answer "you do not provide gas, I use propane..."

The sad thing here is that any licensed person can do most anything, but we do not have to take CEU’s to stay current, only certified electricians must do that. Taking the class reawakened me to the dangers of being exposed to live electrical parts. I have now labeled more things because some naïve person could easily get hurt, and we have many who visit.

I have “met” many on here I would feel safe having do many aspects of electrical work, but AHJ’s don’t necessarily know anyone right off the bat. Proving oneself as qualified, is it really a bad thing? Then, when we do have an inspector out, they grow more comfortable with our work. I do think most DIYers in this forum are here because they want to do it right or help someone do it right. Safety is a huge part of that.

(C) Qualified Personnel. The installation of equipment and all associated wiring and interconnections shall be performed only by qualified persons.

Any Thoughts?

PE license generally trumps a license. You will still need to submit all the required documents for permits and inspections.
If you're not a PE then you're probably not qualified.

I don't think a PE is (considered to be) qualified.

To handle anything besides a pen.

I'm still at it.
And I was supposed to already be qualified.

If you are not qualified, at the beginning of the build.
I'm sure that you will be, by the time that you pass inspection. (No matter how many corrections you have to make)
Assuming that your inspector is qualified.
(Some really aren't)
Over the years I have had inspectors ask me questions, that left me speechless.

Homeowners can do their own electrical work in Minnesota. The previous electrical inspector here would not allow DIY solar. I talked to the state and they confirmed I could do my own solar PV installation. I found someone who is licensed and does solar work on the side cheap. I didn’t want to get on the inspector’s bad side.

A new electrical inspector had no issue with homeowners doing their own solar. I did some additional work on my solar and passed the inspections.

(Licensed) Professional Engineer. On a state-by-state basis.
That is what is required to sign plans, within the discipline he is licensed for.

Requirements includes Engineer In Training test and then apprenticeship under a licensed PE, who can then sign off for him.
Or, while I worked for the government, my boss could have signed me off although not licensed himself. Unfortunately I didn't do that. (I did start a PhD EE, but dropped out.)

(Licensed) Professional Engineer. On a state-by-state basis.
That is what is required to sign plans, within the discipline he is licensed for.

Requirements includes Engineer In Training test and then apprenticeship under a licensed PE, who can then sign off for him.
Or, while I worked for the government, my boss could have signed me off although not licensed himself. Unfortunately I didn't do that. (I did start a PhD EE, but dropped out.)
Well thank you sir…as usual a great explaination……I had no idea……thx…J.

My understanding In Minnesota is anyone with an electrical engineering degree can sit for the master electrician exam without any hours worked, or doing the journeyman test first. My father has an electrical engineering degree and had done a lot of electrical work in high school and college as an unlicensed helper. My father didn’t have any desire to be a master electrician so never took the test. He said he wouldn’t want most electrical engineers he knew ever touching electricity.

In California, I didn't ask questions and just decided I was qualified. I've had multiple permits approved and projects on the house completed. Including replacing the main breaker panel and service entrance.

Back