diy solar

diy solar

How do I run stuff directly off of a 48V battery bank?

mesquito_creek

for example: I have found 48V input led rope lights, can I connect them directly to my 48V battery bank with a switch? My assumption is that any device that I can find that is a 48V input would be more efficient than running them through the inverter and probably transformed down to 12V after that any way?

Do I need some sort of wattage regulator or other device to regulate the 48V directly off of a battery bank?

Here is what I am looking at connecting.

I have successfully in the past, connected 12v led rope lighting directly to a 12v battery on a switch to light up a truck shell... assume its the same and that I could wire in 48V lighting directly to my buss bar with a fuse and switch.

Those are 48vdc led strips from a quick look at the description, so yes, you can directly connect them to the battery via a switch.

Highly advisable to fuse it, obviously perhaps.. and it would be better to connect to a bms output to stop the light exhausting and/or damaging your batteries,

it would be better to connect to a bms output to stop the light exhausting and/or damaging your batteries,
if he has a BMS. could be a simple FLA bank and relying on the inverter low voltage cutoff to keep from pulling the batteries to low. In which case you have no way to assure that you dont draw the battery down to low unless you install some sort of low voltage cut off device and run your DC loads from it.

My battery bank consists of Four 48V 5.3Kw LifePo4 batteries. Each battery has a BMS. So I don't think I have to worry about the batteries going below a safe voltage. Sound like an easy way to light up some areas... thanks

I can think of three ways. First, just purchase 48VDC equipment, which I would assume is rather rare.
Second, buy a 48V to 12V converter, and run far more abundant 12V equipment.
Third, simple items like 12V or 24V lights can be wired in series to create a 48V circuit.

Back