diy solar

diy solar

How long can you (and your family) survive if the grid went down for an extended period?

I don't recommend buddy heaters except for an emergency.

I have a dynaglo 12k btu with thermostat and a 30# 7 gallon tank lasts me a week or longer in winter for heat, cooking and OD water heater. Rarely have to set the heater above low to heat 400 sqft.

Keep in mind air quality in your home also matters.
Since the diesel heater vents to the outside I think that is another pro vs the dynaglo.

I have two Dyna-Glo BFSS30NGT-4N 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Blue Flame Thermostatic Vent Free Wall Heaters in my newer house but I have 4000 sqft to vent fumes into so not concerned as much on that. In a small area I would worry about the fumes more.

Kerosene is not used much here in the west. Some people use it in space heaters but no large tanks. Propane is more prevalent probably because we are in the oil patch and it is a biproduct of NG and oil production that would have to be flared off if not used. Most town and city homes here have NG and rural homes propane.

Ah I see , I always forget just how big America is !

Don't forget about biogas , making your own LPG alternative is a lot easier than growing vegetable oil crops ?
I'd go with the palm oil plants if I went that route but I'm to lazy for that. I think the used motor oil is the way to go. Businesses are desperate to get rid of the stuff.

Since the diesel heater vents to the outside I think that is another pro vs the dynaglo.

I have two Dyna-Glo BFSS30NGT-4N 30,000 BTU Natural Gas Blue Flame Thermostatic Vent Free Wall Heaters in my newer house but I have 4000 sqft to vent fumes into so not concerned as much on that. In a small area I would worry about the fumes more.
I prefer the radiant over blue flame. Good thermal mass and heats up faster.

I'd go with the palm oil plants if I went that route but I'm to lazy for that. I think the used motor oil is the way to go. Businesses are desperate to get rid of the stuff.

I love palm oil it's second best to beef dripping for frying fish and chips

Motor oil is a good option, even after shtf , it's everywhere

Ok no need to show off ?

Britain might be only 94,530 sq mi , but it's not all about size is it ?? .... It's about how you use what you've got ..... At least that's what the mrs says
The only drawback with Britain is lack of room and depleted resources from being occupied so long :)

You folks are going to run out of places to live pretty soon I'd imagine and already out of fuels from what I've been reading.

Really?
You have had problems with Radiant heaters catching stuff on fire?

I got 2 electric IR heaters but they seem pretty safe.
I haven't had problems with it I'm going but what the manufactures say about their heaters in the pros and cons section :)

Radiant good at heating objects in room but a fire risk if anything is fairly close to them and blue flame is for heating the air in the room without the object ignition issues.

I'd go with the palm oil plants

I've been thinking about this for a minute, we've made a lot a biodiesel over the years including out of palm oil ,

it works ok, but the trouble is palm oil biodiesel starts to solidify around 10°c , anywhere colder than that and it'll go almost solid ,

so I hope you live somewhere warm , but if that's the case ... why do you need a heater ?

I don't think a heater that won't work below 10°c is very useful ?

I've been thinking about this for a minute, we've made a lot a biodiesel over the years including out of palm oil ,

it works ok, but the trouble is palm oil biodiesel starts to solidify around 10°c , anywhere colder than that and it'll go almost solid ,

so I hope you live somewhere warm , but if that's the case ... why do you need a heater ?

Do you process it with Methanol and Lye or just run it straight?

With the palm oil you mix it with stuff to keep it happy at the lower temps. Diesel is a good combo for thinning it out.

During the summer we run pure used vegi oils in the diesels cars and trucks here and mix with diesel in the winter.

With the palm oil you mix it with stuff to keep it happy at the lower temps. Diesel is a good combo for thinning it out.

During the summer we run pure used vegi oils in the diesels cars and trucks here and mix with diesel in the winter.

It must be REALLY warm there if you can run unprocessed palm oil !

The only drawback with Britain is lack of room and depleted resources from being occupied so long :)

You folks are going to run out of places to live pretty soon I'd imagine and already out of fuels from what I've been reading.

We've got a terrible housing crisis, lots of homeless , but that's not down to lack of space , 92%+ of Britain is completely undeveloped , 75% being usable farmland ,

they just won't let us build on it !!

we are also sat on enough coal to be completely self-sufficient on electricity for 400yrs..... you guessed it, they won't let us dig/burn it

diy solar

diy solar
Back