diy solar

diy solar

How long can you (and your family) survive if the grid went down for an extended period?

We've got a terrible housing crisis, lots of homeless , but that's not down to lack of space , 92%+ of Britain is completely undeveloped , 75% being usable farmland ,

they just won't let us build on it !!

we are also sat on enough coal to be completely self-sufficient on electricity for 400yrs..... you guessed it, they won't let us dig/burn it
Cool well at least you have it. Most of the articles I have read lately acts like you all are out of resources.

Corrected. Methanol Not Menthol.

You've always got to be careful with methanol cause it burns with a clear flame

My dad knew a man who burnt his lung out with it . He went into his bio-diesel shed , thought it smelled a bit funny... looked down and his sneakers were melting ..

It turned out all his methanol was on fire. by the time he noticed he'd taken a good few deep breathes of fire

He did live but was in the ICU for months and months

Ouch just noticed its 6am and the town has its "heritage" day event today. I have to catch a few hours sleep and pull the corvette into the front yard. I figure the masses going thru buying stuff will see it and the yearly car show starts tomorrow so people from several states around will be coming thru for that. Best time to sell it I hope :)

It needs a home since I never drive it anymore.

My dad knew a man who burnt his lung out with it . He went into his bio-diesel shed , thought it smelled a bit funny... looked down and his sneakers were melting ..

It turned out his all his methanol was on fire. by the time he noticed he'd taken a good few deep breathes of fire

Wow, sorry to hear that. Never burned the stuff and didn't know it was impossible to see either.

It turned out all his methanol was on fire. by the time he noticed he'd taken a good few deep breathes of fire

Also extremely toxic:

Methanol is extremely poisonous. As little as 2 tablespoons (30 milliliters) can be deadly to a child. About 2 to 8 ounces (60 to 240 milliliters) can be deadly for an adult. Blindness is common and often permanent despite medical care.

Sad note but I think it fits with this thread:

Johnny Hardwick the voice of Dale Gribble passed away. King of the Hill was one of my favorite shows as I could relate to those guys in many ways and Dale ran a pest control business like I did for many years.

RIP Gribble!

Gribble.PNG

Diesel heaters on average use about a gallon of fuel for 7 hours of heat. At $4 a gallon for diesel that is not cheap heating.

Diesel also does not store well and will gel in winter.

Propane can be stored indefinitely and used for heating, cooking, and running an OD water heater.

Diesel has 140k btu per gallon and propane has 92k btu per gallon but average price for propane per gallon in the US is under $2.50.
Kerosene isn't even in the conversation on the Mountain West.

Diesel stores pretty well compared to gas. I get Red diesel for $3.50 gal which is still too much. I need it for my farm machines anyway but never store more than 500 gal...which really doesn't last that long.

That said besides heavy solar (eventual will get all my 21kW of my already purchased bifacial panels erected), I agree the best alternative is propane ($2.10 gal) for me. Living in an extremely INefficient 5th wheel while building, 6,850 elevation in CO, coldest/snowiest winter in 30 years...we used 40-50 gal/month through last winter.

Our home will have propane boiler radiant heat in the floor with a solar dump e- hot water heater, propane range, 2x1000 gal tanks plus the 2x120 gal tanks from our 5th wheel space (plus 20 miscellaneous smaller tanks & multiple propane backup appliances), 8,700W dual fuel generator (that has never seen gas)...I would like a bigger one but this is sufficient for its limited application. Also a wood burning stove...it's messy & work but pretty easy to put up a 2yr supply with $15 lumber permits & a splitter

So I agree with you on propane vs diesel but these little heaters still intrique me for the money & limited applications.

For frying fish and chips?....:p
Beef tallow was once used in the good ole days to fry French fry’s ,chicken shrimp..at fast food places…they were so good… but as usual ,the food and safty police showed up and made that and about every other fun or tasty thing unavailable to the masses… gotta be safe ya know..!
It’s been awhile but does any one remember when you could order a thick cheeseburger medium rare…haaa.

Beef tallow was once used in the good ole days to fry French fry’s ,chicken shrimp..at fast food places…they were so good… but as usual ,the food and safty police showed up and made that and about every other fun or tasty thing unavailable to the masses… gotta be safe ya know..!
It’s been awhile but does any one remember when you could order a thick cheeseburger medium rare…haaa.
Consumers requested healthier options from fast food places and the market decided. But you can still make french fries in beef fat at home if you want to.

Consumers requested healthier options from fast food places and the market decided. But you can still make french fries in beef fat at home if you want to.
Not true… consumers were told what they should have…by the new age busy bodies whose only life goal is to live safe and warm and dry… your buying into what the media and school have said was the cause…it wasn’t…

Not true… consumers were told what they should have…by the new age busy bodies whose only life goal is to live safe and warm and dry… your buying into what the media and school have said was the cause…it wasn’t…
The truth is, consumers wanted healthier options. Vegetarians like french fries too, and fries cooked in beef fat are not vegetarian. It is cheaper for ickeyD's to run all of their fryers with vegetable oil than it is to try to keep track of which fryers have beef fat and which have vegetable oil. You can believe there is some broad conspiracy by the food industry to force healthy food on you but that don't make it true. Some places are banning trans fats, but that isn't why MickeyD's switched to vegetable oils.

I guess I should add that if you really want food fried in beef fat but can't manage to do it yourself go to buffalo wild wings. They only use beef fat in their fryers.
I started using an air fryer. Love fried foods but my BP and Cholesterol didn't.

Good thing is you can get air fryers that are low power and mine uses only 700 watts and great for a fast meal.

Tastes great, but man, it's like something crawled up there and died after.

I have a farm/ranch nearby where I can get grass fed beef, pork, pastuer raised chickens etc... I plan on rendering some good ol lard. It's better for you then most vegetable/corn/palm oils.

A full page on the fat lovers guide to storing lard.

It started out fine on alternative energy fuels but dissolved quickly.

How about biodigesters and methane?

I designed a barrel digester and it worked fairly well but I didn't have enough biomass to keep it working.

Now they have those biodigester bags you fill with your scrap foods, garden waste and manure (even human) and turn that in to free fuel.

I know farmers are using them now and running their farm machinery off methane.

A full page on the fat lovers guide to storing lard.

It started out fine on alternative energy fuels but dissolved quickly.

How about biodigesters and methane?

I designed a barrel digester and it worked fairly well but I didn't have enough biomass to keep it working.

Now they have those biodigester bags you fill with your scrap foods, garden waste and manure (even human) and turn that in to free fuel.

I know farmers are using them now and running their farm machinery off methane.

Liberty Biogas Generator

diy solar

diy solar
Back