diy solar

diy solar

How to deal with EMF from inverter

IanInShawnigan

Hello there:) I am just asking around about my off grid system I just built.
Have you any idea how to deal with the EMF/EMR put out by the inverters when it powers up to run the fridge?
I recently bought a meter to test and found that the Pure Sine Wave inverter gives off massive emissions of EMF, over 200 milligouss!!!!
My system is in my basement. The readings are coming right up into the living room at 60+ milligouss which is deadly over time.
The system is grounded properly to the old house grounding rod through the floor in the basement that was no longer in use.

My 100% OFF GRID system is constructed of 6 Renogy Rover 40A Li MPPT controllers.
Each controller is hooked up to a 450W split cell (72) monochrystaline panel; 6 panels, each is independent from one another. They are all hooked up to 1 battery bank.
The battery bank has 18 - 6V AGM in series and parallel to make 9 - 12V, 250Ah for a total of 2250Ah and 1125Ah at 50% usage.
AGM is the safest and best way to go I believe from the solar experts I have spoken with.
At least 5000 cycles (15 years) and no off gassing or risks that lithium batteries have.
All 6 controllers are set at the auto identify factory setup as 12V, SLD. I have not changed anything in the parameters.

I am using a 4000W modified seine wave inverter, no EMF in the living room from that one, to run 4 small basement freezers and the upstairs fridge.
I began this learning curve almost 1 year ago and built the system over a few months.
I tried using a Renogy 3000W pure sine wave inverter but it gives off massive EMF through the floor and into the living room.

So, any ideas how to eliminate the massive EMF?
At the moment all I can come up with is dismantling the whole system and moving it into the garage which is not something I really want to ave to do:)
Cheers from Vancouver Island, BC, Canada.

Welcome to the forum.

All of the renogy stuff are massive RF emitters.

The rover solar charge controllers unfortunately also have very high standby power use, so they are draining your batteries at night - similar to an inverter standby power level.

Hello HarryN. Thanks for the info. I am new to this stuff and from research it seemed that Renogy was a reliable brand.
So, you think it is just that it is a Renogy 3000W pure Sine Wave inverter that is the problem then?
Do you know of other brands that do not emit such high levels of EMF?
This one cost me $600 CDN + another 150 for cables (not included).
I did not get much help from Renogy and they refused return because it was more than 60 days.
Kind of stuck with it now.
I am using a Modified 4000W Canadian Tire Eliminator Series right now to run my freezers and fridge and it is doing the job but I am concerned about using Modified for this because research says to use Pure.
Any idea if that is really a concern?
I went by reviews when buying these things and they seemed to like the Renogy stuff.
I have a lot of money into the controllers and inverters.
There seems to be very little information about EMF output generally.
If I had run across this issue when researching I would have avoided it as best I could.
Thanks for your help:)

I thought I was cheating death buy sleeping next to 30 milligouss, you sir are living life on the edge.
I am not using the Renogy 3000W because of the EMF. I put up a lead shield today actually to see if that did anything.
It was still pushing 75 milligouse through the lead shield.
I hate to think of folks using these in an RV situation.
Yeah, so I am not going to use it.
The 4000W Modified Sine Wave unit pushes about 17 milligouse but only within around 2 feet from the unit.
All 0.0 to 0.2 after that. Nothing upstairs from that unit.
I am seriously thinking about laying charges against Renogy for selling something so dangerous to unsuspecting customers.
I have read that using a Modified the way I am is not recommended for the appliances.
Do you know of a SAFE Pure Sine Wane 3000W inverter?

In one reading yes. It is a killer right.
I got an EMF reader after noticing my cat moving away from the couch just above where the inverter is installed in the basement.
My wife kept moving off too saying her heart was pounding.
I have not used it since I saw the readings.
Renogy never said anything about their unit and EMF seems to be THE TOPIC no one talks about.
I truly wish there had been people making videos and chatting about this topic.
Most of what I used to build this was based on Will's videos actually. He never mentioned this either.
It seems to me that this should be a MAIN TOPIC when building a DIY system.
Any suggestions on a SAFE Pure Sine Wave inverter?

EMF seems to be THE TOPIC no one talks about
Cause it's complete bullshit. EMF cannot make you sick. High power RF can heat your tissue and that can make you sick but it requires very strong levels like climbing across a broadcast antenna or standing in front of high power radar.
The one you got right now. I can tell you what's not safe for your mental health is that EMF meter you got and watching random hacks on youtube.

Actually do this instead. Get an inverter with BIG HEAVY (preferably ferro-resonant type) iron transformer. Put some load on it to make it make emit that 60Hz hum. Sit next to it and try to absorb that healthy 60Hz energy while trying to hum yourself at the same frequency as inverter. As your hum phase aligns with inverter hum you will feel this complete relaxation as your body gets cleansed of all it's toxins. Do this every evening and feel 20 years younger in a year! OK, brb starting my own youtube channel.

Cause it's complete bullshit. EMF cannot make you sick. High power RF can heat your tissue and that can make you sick but it requires very strong levels like climbing across a broadcast antenna or standing in front of high power radar.

The one you got right now. I can tell you what's not safe for your mental health is that EMF meter you got and watching random hacks on youtube.
"Cause it's complete bullshit. EMF cannot make you sick."
Are you able to explain why my cat kept moving away from the EMF coming through the floor and right up through the couch itself, and why my wife kept moving to the other side of the room because she was getting heart palpitations then please? Seriously. How can you even suggest that something that does that can be safe?
I met a guy at a solar shop that had the same attitude. He mocked it too. I think he probably mocks everything judging by his demeanor.
Myself, I don't even touch a dumbphone.
I use frequency music quite often but this is very different.

You could try and decouple the signal running on the wires with packet of toroids from Amazon. https://a.co/d/cHFlXnz
View attachment 217700
Interesting:) I really am just a beginner and just not aware of many things:) I spent 4 months going over information before building the system. No one ever mentioned EMF/EMR as something to be considered. Will's videos were probably my main source actually. Many others though also. If someone had brought it up I would have made an effort to avoid the issue. Thanks:)

Are you able to explain why my cat kept moving away from the EMF coming through the floor and right up through the couch itself, and why my wife kept moving to the other side of the room because she was getting heart palpitations then please?
Sure I can explain. EMF was not the reason for those events.

Inverters can give off conducted and radiated EMI, sometimes that interferes with electronics and radios. Radiated drops off as r^2, while conducted is confined to the wire and won't drop off significantly
There are also near-field magnetic fields, especially from transformers. That drops off as r^3.

My wife got an E/M field meter, and sure enough, microwave gives off a strong field. That is from the transformer, of course, not the microwave tube. She now keeps the cats away from it when operating (unlike your cat, ours don't seem to instinctively realize it is depleting some of their nine lives.

In a similar vein, my wife became concerned about the Covid shot and was quite unhappy that I got it. She saw demonstrations in videos that it causes people to become magnetic, apparently because it contains only graphene nanoparticles. I have some super magnets from Harbor Freight, so I put one on my arm where I had been vaccinated. It stuck. I tilted my arm until the magnet was on the underside and it continued to stick. I then transferred the magnet to my right arm which hadn't received a shot yet, and the magnet slid right off.

I am working on reduction of magnetic fields at work especially from power transformers. One of my colleagues does this by wrapping copper and mu-metal around the outside. The copper serves as a shorted turn, cancelling leakage fields (it does not pass through the core like the windings. Mu-metal blocks magnetic field. With relatively thin material we get an order of magnitude reduction. My effort is is in the area of locating secondaries to better cancel leakage field of primary, and altering phase of multiple transformers to provide better cancellation at a point in space where we have sensitive equipment.

You may be able to apply a couple of those techniques to your problem - add copper and mu-metal bands around the inverter's transformer. You may also be able to make a couple coils wired in series with the transformer and positioned around it - tuned to the optimal number of turns it could provide cancellation. I would use a Variac and resistor to adjust current in a coil, the recalculate number of turns needed.

But to see if the inverter is the issue at all, you could try A/B tests substituting a remote power source, also try relocating the inverter elsewhere. Besides the EMF you think is the problem, there could be inaudible sounds the body reacts to, and there could be flickering of lights.

Last edited:
I have some super magnets from Harbor Freight, so I put on on my arm where I had been vaccinated. It stuck. I tilted my arm until the magnet was on the underside and it continued to stick. I then transferred the magnet to my right arm which hadn't received a shot yet, and the magnet slid right off.
It would be interesting to see video from your experiments...
As to graphene's features - it's nonmagnetic at all.
Adding to that, the shot is just 5 ml and wouldn't allow you to hold any magnet, if it would be made from an iron nanoparticles.

Most of the time anything that is emitting that much EMF is due to an imbalance. Radiators that are opposite phase and equal power cancel each other out as a balanced transmission line. Try putting the inverter on a short line on a resistive load and then take your reading. If it is still emitting strong EMF or RFI then it isn't complaint to US Federal Code 47 CFR § 15.3 as a incidental radiator.

Try using a portable AM radio and see if you can hear the interference. If it is emitting that much energy in the radio spectrum you have some powerful laws to go after the manufacture.

Try using a inline RFI filter. Search for RFI/EMI filter and on AMZ or other electrical suppliers. Bonding everything together and grounding it is necessary.

Note the effects on the human body are psychosomatic. Unless you are near a 50 KW broadcasting station don't worry about it. If you have some Amateur Radio or CB operators near you you they can come after you for a violation of part 15 for knowingly operating a source of interference.
1716711590251.png

Last edited:
Back