diy solar

diy solar

Hoymiles HYS-7.6LV-USG1 Hybrid Inverter

ncsolarelectric

Engineering Support CEO
My new inverter is on its way from Hoymiles. I purchased the 7.6LV, 7.6kW for my own home. I'm going to be making videos showing the installation process, and my evaluation. It is currently compatible with UL Listed, Soluna EOS 5k, and 10k Pack LV, batteries. Hoymiles has informed me that they are working on compatibility with EG4 batteries too. The Soluna 5k LV battery is also on its way, so I will be evaluating the pair this month. See the attached Preliminary datasheets. Enjoy!

Please, ask any questions you may have. Like Will, I will do my best to test and evaluate the inverter to get you an answer. I think I'm the first person in the US to get one of these babies! We should all pitch in and send a set of these to Will for his honest evaluation too.

The best part, is these inverters have no fans! It's quiet, and outdoor rated to NEMA 4X.

Attachments

• HYS-LV-USG1-Series_Datasheet_EN_V0.7.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 61
  • 10k-Pack-LV.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • EOS-5K.pdf
    710.9 KB · Views: 16
Do they also supply in the EU?
Yes, the model is the same but with, -EUGS. The EU model is different as over there you are permitted to use MC4 connectors to connect to the inverter. In the US they had to add a junction box to make terminations.

My new inverter is on its way from Hoymiles. I purchased the 7.6LV, 7.6kW for my own home.

I did a quick search and didn't see any US distributors or a installation manual from the Hoymiles website?

Any reason you didn't want the 11.5kw model to try?

I did a quick search and didn't see any US distributors or a installation manual from the Hoymiles website?

Any reason you didn't want the 11.5kw model to try?
The manual for the US model is still being worked on. I should have it soon. As I said, I'm the first one in the US to have one. I don't have enough customers (yet) to be listed as a preferred distributor of theirs. It's just me in my little shop, but that would be nice.

Yes, my home solar system is only approved for 7.6kW through my NEC 120% Rule interconnection to EnergyUnited, and it matches the size of my upgraded solar system. Tomorrow, I'm getting another 4 panels, QCells 480W, and I'll be adding another HMS-2000-4T-NA to max out my system at 7.6kW total. By Friday, I should have the inverter and battery in hand. I can't wait! It's going to be an exciting week!

Last edited:
Please, ask any questions you may have. Like Will, I will do my best to test and evaluate the inverter to get you an answer.

It's a 7.6kW inverter, so I would like see if it can reliably AC couple with 4-6kW of Enphase iQ8's off-grid. Other hybrid inverters (Schneider, solark, etc) have not been able to do so.

It's a 7.6kW inverter, so I would like see if it can reliably AC couple with 4-6kW of Enphase iQ8's off-grid. Other hybrid inverters (Schneider, solark, etc) have not been able to do so.
I doubt it. That's Enphase's fault. From what I've observed with my own IQ Battery 3T, it intentionally frequency shifts outside the limits to kick other inverters off the microgrid when it switches to battery. My Hoymiles HMS microinverters are more than happy to run in parallel with the Enphase microgrid, but only after it has been established and they re-sync to the microgrid after a 5-min hiatus. This is one of my personal goals, to replace the puny IQ B3T with the new HYS and Soluna battery. If everything works reliably, I'll have a used Enphase system for sale.

From what I've observed with my own IQ Battery 3T, it intentionally frequency shifts outside the limits to kick other inverters off the microgrid when it switches to battery.

That's normal behavior for some hybrid inverter systems (e.g. Tesla Powerwall, Enphase iQ3, etc.) that AC couple with grid-tied inverters off-grid. They normally start with high frequency to prevent grid-tied inverters from producing power during initial island grid formation. However, after the initial start the frequency will decrease gradually to allow GTI's to ramp up power.

The AC coupling issue with PV powered (i.e. not powered by batteries) Enphase iQ8's is not related to the high frequency behavior during the initial island grid formation. It would be interesting to see if and how well the Hoymiles hybrid inverter can AC couple with PV powered iQ8's when off grid.

My new inverter is on its way from Hoymiles. I purchased the 7.6LV, 7.6kW for my own home. I'm going to be making videos showing the installation process, and my evaluation. It is currently compatible with UL Listed, Soluna EOS 5k, and 10k Pack LV, batteries. Hoymiles has informed me that they are working on compatibility with EG4 batteries too. The Soluna 5k LV battery is also on its way, so I will be evaluating the pair this month. See the attached Preliminary datasheets. Enjoy!

Please, ask any questions you may have. Like Will, I will do my best to test and evaluate the inverter to get you an answer. I think I'm the first person in the US to get one of these babies! We should all pitch in and send a set of these to Will for his honest evaluation too.

The best part, is these inverters have no fans! It's quiet, and outdoor rated to NEMA 4X.
Had a question I am from jamaica and we use 120/240V will thisninverter be compatible with that . Solark works great here in jamaica kindly shed some light to enlighten me . Thanks

This looks great!

Are they able to be paired together? Didn't see that on the data pages?

Do you have a rough idea of when retail pricing will come out for this inverter as well as for the UL9540 batteries for it?

And LV here means 48V nominal?

I also am interested in what the Soluna battery looks like wired up with NEC compliant wireway or conduit added. Looks like it is not outdoor weather protected being IP54, slightly cleaner looking and slightly better sealed server rack battery.

This looks great!

Are they able to be paired together? Didn't see that on the data pages?
Yes, it's either 6 or 10. I don't recall off hand. I told them the same thing, that it needs to be updated. I just received the manuals. See attached.

The manual is 47MB

Attachments

• HYS-LV-USG1-Series_Datasheet_EN_V1.0.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • HYS-LV-USG1-Series_User-Manual_EN_V1.0.pdf
    5.9 MB · Views: 32
Do you have a rough idea of when retail pricing will come out for this inverter as well as for the UL9540 batteries for it?

And LV here means 48V nominal?

I also am interested in what the Soluna battery looks like wired up with NEC compliant wireway or conduit added. Looks like it is not outdoor weather protected being IP54, slightly cleaner looking and slightly better sealed server rack battery.
Retail pricing for the 7.6kVA is around $2500, depending on how many pre-orders I get. The more I can order, the lower the shipping cost will be to put them in stock. I don't want to take preorders until I'm done testing and evaluating this one.

This week I mounted the inverter to the wall of my garage, and the Soluna battery arrived yesterday. I need to hang that on the wall, and get some #2/0 battery cables, then wire up the AC, and I can start testing. I started recording a video of each step and so far, it's coming out good and looks great.

A very interesting difference with this inverter. The input N and output N are the same N. So the N-G bonding in the main panel is passed through to the load panel. Also, apparently, it has no fans, so I can't wait to turn it on and see how quiet it is compared to other inverters.

It is also compatible with PYTES server rack batteries so I contacted them for pricing. The Soluna batter looks very nice but you're right, it's not outdoor rated or heated.

IMG_3703.JPGIMG_3704.JPGIMG_3706.JPG

IMG_3712.JPGScreen Shot 2023-09-16 at 3.39.52 PM.png

IMG_3714.JPG

I'm very interested in this. Two questions: If I dont have a backup load panel, how does the wiring look just back to the main service panel. Also, I'd want to know how much programability the interface has, specifically for grid sell and battery options. I could not find any additional info on the website for which battery is recomended.

I'm very interested in this. Two questions: If I dont have a backup load panel, how does the wiring look just back to the main service panel. Also, I'd want to know how much programability the interface has, specifically for grid sell and battery options. I could not find any additional info on the website for which battery is recomended.
Here is the link to the 47MB Manual, click here. The interface is all done through the Hoymiles App. There are only LEDs on the front, no display to degrade in the sunlight. It has a NEMA 4X rating so it could be installed in the field like a regular grid-tied string inverter.

If you don't need a critical loads panel, you don't connect anything to the output and doesn't require a battery. Just solar to the solar input, and grid to the grid input.

Here is the link to the 47MB Manual, click here. The interface is all done through the Hoymiles App. There are only LEDs on the front, no display to degrade in the sunlight. It has a NEMA 4X rating so it could be installed in the field like a regular grid-tied string inverter.

If you don't need a critical loads panel, you don't connect anything to the output and doesn't require a battery. Just solar to the solar input, and grid to the grid input.
I looked at the 7.6 manual and I guess the question is in the application itself and how much control I have over the parameters. Lets say I only want to discharge my bat. down to 40% at night to conserve power in an emergency. I'm also limited to how much I can sell at any one time to my utility so I would need to limit my export.

Update: I'm looking into the S-miles online access documents and it looks like all this capability exists! Section 5 smart controls. I'd love to see this in action!

Last edited:
Retail pricing for the 7.6kVA is around $2500, depending on how many pre-orders I get. The more I can order, the lower the shipping cost will be to put them in stock. I don't want to take preorders until I'm done testing and evaluating this one.

This week I mounted the inverter to the wall of my garage, and the Soluna battery arrived yesterday. I need to hang that on the wall, and get some #2/0 battery cables, then wire up the AC, and I can start testing. I started recording a video of each step and so far, it's coming out good and looks great.

A very interesting difference with this inverter. The input N and output N are the same N. So the N-G bonding in the main panel is passed through to the load panel. Also, apparently, it has no fans, so I can't wait to turn it on and see how quiet it is compared to other inverters.

It is also compatible with PYTES server rack batteries so I contacted them for pricing. The Soluna batter looks very nice but you're right, it's not outdoor rated or heated.

View attachment 167877View attachment 167878View attachment 167879

View attachment 167880View attachment 167882

View attachment 167881
How much does their largest version retail for?

Back