diy solar

diy solar

Hoymiles HYS-7.6LV-USG1 Hybrid Inverter

If I understand correctly, there's some kW-AC thresholds needed to satisfy code / system design.

For instance backup source (via manual transfer switch or automatic bypass) needs to be big enough to serve at least the largest single appliance on the critical loads subpanel. The 7.6kW-AC one will be less flexible than a 9.6kW or ~12kW version. I think the 7.6 kW-AC is fine for mild climate houses where HP is on the critical loads panel (that's what I plan to do on my house when I get it on backup power), but it won't be OK if electric stove is also supposed to be on critical loads or for bigger houses/harsher climates that have more HVAC. That said, the electric stove is more of a nice to have if the power is out, and likely it's possible to power one with 7.6kW (though the inspection may or may not pass, depends on if the inspector allows demand factor to be applied to scale down the stove nameplate. I think they're supposed to)

7.6 kW is enough to power 120V in the kitchen, it's also enough to meaningfully offset self-consumption when on-grid even with large stoves or HP/AC in the mix.

(hopefully someone who knows NEC can confirm)

Also I don’t think anyone should consider this or other newly released first gen hybrid for a transition to primarily off grid use… stick with an XW or similar for that

Thinking about this more, since I most likely only have the chance to install one system in my life as a homeowner, I have been looking more at 12kW AC systems. Since there is a risk of mis speccing things from inexperience

If I had more experience or opportunity to iterate I would probably feel more comfortable going with the smallest size that my understanding/calculations say would work.

Thinking about this more, since I most likely only have the chance to install one system in my life as a homeowner, I have been looking more at 12kW AC systems. Since there is a risk of mis speccing things from inexperience

If I had more experience or opportunity to iterate I would probably feel more comfortable going with the smallest size that my understanding/calculations say would work.
⬆️⬆️Goes with the old saying, buy once cry once

⬆️⬆️Goes with the old saying, buy once cry once
Yup, also with the cost delta for one home it’s not really worth the risk.

If you’re stamping out 100s of standard installs as a solar installer then those $400-700 per install will add up. It may not be nice either to pass on the added unnecessary cost to customers (although most installers probably oversize and do that today).

Here is a simple 1 line for an AC-coupled system. DC coupled on a ground mount is even easier.
From this line diagram it is clear that the Hoymiles hybrid inverter will support AC-coupling to Hoymiles Microinverters but is there AC coupling implemented in a manner that it will function properly with ANY brand of mucroinverters supporting AC-coupling (ie: Enphase) or does it only AC-couple with Hoymiles Microinverters?

Also, what is the estimated pricing for the smallest units (3.8kVA, 4.8kVA)?

If I understand correctly, there's some kW-AC thresholds needed to satisfy code / system design.

For instance backup source (via manual transfer switch or automatic bypass) needs to be big enough to serve at least the largest single appliance on the critical loads subpanel. The 7.6kW-AC one will be less flexible than a 9.6kW or ~12kW version. I think the 7.6 kW-AC is fine for mild climate houses where HP is on the critical loads panel (that's what I plan to do on my house when I get it on backup power), but it won't be OK if electric stove is also supposed to be on critical loads or for bigger houses/harsher climates that have more HVAC. That said, the electric stove is more of a nice to have if the power is out, and likely it's possible to power one with 7.6kW (though the inspection may or may not pass, depends on if the inspector allows demand factor to be applied to scale down the stove nameplate. I think they're supposed to)

7.6 kW is enough to power 120V in the kitchen, it's also enough to meaningfully offset self-consumption when on-grid even with large stoves or HP/AC in the mix.

(hopefully someone who knows NEC can confirm)

Also I don’t think anyone should consider this or other newly released first gen hybrid for a transition to primarily off grid use… stick with an XW or similar for that
Other than lack of track record, what is it you’ve seen about this new Hoymiles Hybrd that has you convinced a Conext XT would be better for off-grid use???

Other than lack of track record, what is it you’ve seen about this new Hoymiles Hybrd that has you convinced a Conext XT would be better for off-grid use???
I suspect it has something to do with the Schneider being a low frequency inverter able to handle huge surge loads. I'm not casting any judgement, merely guessing as to his reasons.

I suspect it has something to do with the Schneider being a low frequency inverter able to handle huge surge loads. I'm not casting any judgement, merely guessing as to his reasons.

Mostly track record. It seems like for all AIO and hybrid inverters there are plenty of features that are not fully baked or are misunderstood/not well described in the manual.

I guess we can presume it interoperates fine with their own brand microinverters.

From this line diagram it is clear that the Hoymiles hybrid inverter will support AC-coupling to Hoymiles Microinverters but is there AC coupling implemented in a manner that it will function properly with ANY brand of mucroinverters supporting AC-coupling (ie: Enphase) or does it only AC-couple with Hoymiles Microinverters?

Also, what is the estimated pricing for the smallest units (3.8kVA, 4.8kVA)?
I understand that any inverter with UL1741SB is compatible with any other inverter with UL1741SA or SB. So it should AC couple just fine to any microinverters, or grid-tied inverter that's certified. I have an Enphase IQ BAT3T but I want to test the HYS hybrid by itself before I try to couple it to my Enphase equipment.

My electrician won't be out to wire it all up for another week or two. In my main panel, I need to swap out the main breaker and increase the solar breaker, to stay compliant with the 120% rule, with a 60A input breaker for the inverter. Then I can put it all to the test.

Mostly track record. It seems like for all AIO and hybrid inverters there are plenty of features that are not fully baked or are misunderstood/not well described in the manual.

I guess we can presume it interoperates fine with their own brand microinverters.
They are calling this the 2nd generation. They have been selling the first generation in EU, AU & Asian markets for years. To comply with UL, they had to eliminate the MC4s on the bottom and add a wiring box. I like it! Just push the wires into the hole. No tool is required. Well, a screwdriver is needed for the ground wires. I connected half the AC today just to see and do a short video. The electrician will pull all the wires, etc. It also has a common N input and output, so I only need to run one N line, saving me about 40 feet of wire.

I've seen zero failures of their microinverters, and I monitor over 100 of them now, after 17 months of using them That's a pretty good track record.

I understand that any inverter with UL1741SB is compatible with any other inverter with UL1741SA or SB. So it should AC couple just fine to any microinverters, or grid-tied inverter that's certified. I have an Enphase IQ BAT3T but I want to test the HYS hybrid by itself before I try to couple it to my Enphase equipment.

My electrician won't be out to wire it all up for another week or two. In my main panel, I need to swap out the main breaker and increase the solar breaker, to stay compliant with the 120% rule, with a 60A input breaker for the inverter. Then I can put it all to the test.
Will look forward to your experience testing it with first Hoymiles Microinverters and then with Enphase!

Has Hoymiles given you any idea of the pricepoint of the smaller-powered units?

I understand that any inverter with UL1741SB is compatible with any other inverter with UL1741SA or SB.
My NEP BDM600X Microinverters are certified for:
UL 1741
CSA C22.2
No. 107.1
and also ‘UL1741, SAA’???

But not UL1741SB (and possibly also not UL1741SA). Does that mean they won’t support frequency-shift control but will only support ON/OFF control?
So it should AC couple just fine to any microinverters, or grid-tied inverter that's certified. I have an Enphase IQ BAT3T but I want to test the HYS hybrid by itself before I try to couple it to my Enphase equipment.

Keep us posted.

I share information about the Data Transfer Stick, for the HYS-LV-USG1 series and Energy Storage

Attachments

• DTS-G1-Series_Datasheet_Global_EN_V1.1.pdf
    430.9 KB · Views: 4
  • DTS-G1-Series_Quick-Installation-Guide_Global_EN_V1.1.pdf
    9.8 MB · Views: 5
  • Energy Storage Inverter HYS-LV-USG1.pdf
    216.8 KB · Views: 6
Hoymiles has an impressive lineup of ESS inverters for non US markets.
Check out their datasheets, installation manuals, user manuals and other documentation at Hoymiles documentation.

ESS Inverters:
- single phase and 3-phase inverters, split-phase inverter for US market (only HYS-LV model)
- 5, 6, 8, 10, 12 kW (220V) 3.8, 4.8, 6, 7.6, 9.6, 11.5 kW (120/240 US split phase, HYS-xxLV-USG1)
- Hxx-LV model with low battery voltage for safety (48V, Li and Lead) and Hxx-HV model with high-voltage battery for better efficiency
- HYx model for DC/AC coupling with PV DC MPPT 's and HAx model for AC-only coupling
- stacking up to 10 units
- 100% surge capability for 10 sec
- external contactor control and feedback (for MID disconnect relays and high-amp contactors for parallel stacking)
- dry contact for generator or load control (only 1 DO contact, should have more!)
- DRM control for Australia/New Zealand
- HF-transformerless, light weight
- passive cooling, no fans
- CAN BUS daisy-chain controls

Looking forward to Todd's testing of the US HYS-LV model, especially asymmetric load and limit/overload testing.
Would like to see the HAS-LV 48V model for AC-only coupling of microinverters, should work flawlessly with Hoymiles micro inverters.
Todd has Enphase inverters and could try Enphase AC coupling. Enhase IQ8's may not like FW or other power curtailment methods, but will work fine with an additional PV on/off relay. Works fine with PV on/off in Franklin WH, Sol-Ark, Lux Power, EP Cube and QCELL QHome or SolaX, using either a dedicated PV relay or the generator relay.

Last edited:
Back