diy solar

diy solar

I Can't Afford So-Called "Tier 1" Equipment. What's Good at Tier 2?

60amp charger seems weak since the tp6048 is 120 amps.

But if you buy two of them I guess thats 120amps.

But thats $1800 even on sale.

Then the pv isnt but 300 volts max using both connectors to the sungolds 450 volt max.

Is this all about idle consumption or something?
Idle consumption was part of it, 2 of them would be less than one lvx/tp 6048 (according to specs).

I was more interested in the 3 phase output with a single unit...

The 145voc max is the biggest downfall, really a deal breaker for me since I've been spoiled with using high voltage strings already.

Edit - see post 366, thanks for setting me straight @Zwy

Last edited:
Idle consumption was part of it, 2 of them would be less than one lvx/tp 6048 (according to specs).

I was more interested in the 3 phase output with a single unit...

The 145voc max is the biggest downfall, really a deal breaker for me since I've been spoiled with using high voltage strings already.
Ahh now the 3 phase part would make sense.

How about this?

Interesting note about my calculations in that thread about power loss, just reading it again and I can say that from what I have seen using a lower VOC rating string under peak sun compared to a higher voltage string, the loss is correct.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230715-081805.jpg
    Screenshot_20230715-081805.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
You need three MPP 6048 to create 120-208-120 3P
A single MPP 6048 will create 120-240 1P

I thought about 3P for my shop, but I already have VFD's and it is less complex to just use 120/240 and supply most of the house next door too.
I wish the VOC was higher (like the 6548's) but it is what it is. Got my first 6048 in Feb 2021, and afterwards had to either match this Inverter or change make/model to go higher output. I decided to stick with this model - expect by 2026 to upgrade to higher VOC/higher efficiency/ more features unit(s). A single MPP 6048 would make a great little mobile 'solar generator' since you get 120 and 240 output with just the single unit.

A single MPP 6048 would make a great little mobile 'solar generator' since you get 120 and 240 output with just the single unit.
I've thought about this. I'm going to build a cart unit like Will did in his recent video. Already bought the cart and will be getting an inverter and battery, probably as soon as I can make a decision. I probably should start a thread and ask the brain trust for recommendations. The problem I see with this unit is mostly weight and dimensions. I think the biggest advantage of the EG4 3K is how small and light it is, at least for this cart build. Plus I don't know that 240v is a big need for the application. @Gavin Stone did a couple videos on it too, with a lot of positive feedback. But the LV6048 is 66lbs vs 46 and 24" x 24" vs 17.5" x 11.6" on the EG4. That's going to make a big difference on a cart build.

I definitely have a portable system build, on my list of things to do. Haven't decided if I will just stick with my Growatt theme. Or possibly use the Deye for it.
Either way, weight is a big factor. As I'm not getting any younger.

From the MPP 6048 Manual - these are the options for output settings:

As ETC and Tim say, this would be heavy. But I can see doing it because: 1. I will already have the 6048's available, and 2. I have equipment that will easily lift a heavy generator. 3. It would be hard for it to grow legs...and go missing.
For a small set up I use the MPP2724 - it has outlets right on the Inverter is only 20lbs but has very low PV input limit (750W)
But normally I roll this around without any PV attached, just run on the batteries charged at the shop. With battery and Inverter the small set up is 150lbs

Attachments

• LV6048 split phase manual-20201120-9.pdf
    156.5 KB · Views: 1
I've thought about this. I'm going to build a cart unit like Will did in his recent video. Already bought the cart and will be getting an inverter and battery, probably as soon as I can make a decision. I probably should start a thread and ask the brain trust for recommendations. The problem I see with this unit is mostly weight and dimensions. I think the biggest advantage of the EG4 3K is how small and light it is, at least for this cart build. Plus I don't know that 240v is a big need for the application. @Gavin Stone did a couple videos on it too, with a lot of positive feedback. But the LV6048 is 66lbs vs 46 and 24" x 24" vs 17.5" x 11.6" on the EG4. That's going to make a big difference on a cart build.

Yeah the key word there is really “mobility”. It really comes down to weight if it’s meant to be mobile. The eg4 3k is so light it feels like a toy.

I bought mine to eventually help a church member or friend get into solar. Or I may build a cart from it to help someone like you are.

I would probably never use the PV input, on a portable unit. But it is nice to have the option.
Dragging panels around with it. Takes away from the portability of it. But the price of an AIO, makes it easy to not use all functions.

And once you have this on your property, you will quickly see how handy it is:
Put it in the back of your truck, and run the fence line - nice quiet power available while you fix a gate/fence corner, run a saw, an angle grinder, lights. I use my moble set up in our greenhouse every spring while we have starters growing to control grow lights and run the drip-water/ ventilation. After you have it, you will wonder how you got along without it!
The best thing about a battery 'solar generator' over a traditional gas generator is not needing to leave it run. okay the quiet part is very nice too.

I really enjoy this powerful little inverter on a portable setup. Largest thing it has run is an electric 5 ton log splitter so far, but also chain saw, chop saws, etc. But has also helped keep everything up and going in the house during various outages of less than 24 hours. If I had more solar and batteries paralleled to it I could just about run everything I needed, but the intent was a nice portable unit for around the property. I use it off property but generally keep it strapped in the back of the trailer or van and just run extension cores. Only upgrade I would make is a single panel setup the vans small rooftop rack.

The 2724LV-MR is deceivingly heavy.

diy solar

diy solar
Back