diy solar

diy solar

I Can't Afford So-Called "Tier 1" Equipment. What's Good at Tier 2?

When I chose them. There wasn't a better value for the money. And I am pleased that I still haven't found one, yet.
Usually I make a decision on a product, right before a better option comes along. lol
And then we got the new EG18kpv 12kW ...? It does have a lot of things going for it,..I gotta admit it is tempting. (Tim - were you even a little bit tempted?)
But like @EastTexCowboy, I am pushing my current set up close to max, 12kW output would not be enough. Two is 24kW output - maybe too much?
maybe in a year or two...gotta plan for the future and dream a little.

I'd add more LV6548's if I needed more output, cost $2099 for a pair. As for PV, one could simply add another SCC for about $400 if you need the higher voltage, however I will report what I find running a higher voltage PV input gains. It isn't that great, early results show maybe 2.4% at peak output. Paralleling strings would be more difference (that is power loss) but if you simply double the amount of panels in series it is only the 2.4% at peak output. Most of the time it is less than 2%.

$2099 to add to your existing vs $5600 x 2= $11,200

You must have an oil well in the back yard. :)
I don't really have room to put two more inverters. I'm working in a space between two windows in the garage and I've already got the transfer switch, breaker panel, and a separate breaker panel to control grid input. I could move the latter but that doesn't gain enough room. Or I could go above the first two inverters but that's not going to be fun to mount or connect or service. I'm not doing that. But I haven't pulled the trigger on anything just yet. As Tim just pointed out in another thread, the 18k is designed to be grid tied. If I really want to make sure I never export to grid I may need to look at off-grid inverters only, such as the LV6548. But I'd really like to achieve that redundancy so something that is 240v output. I'll still be very interested in how your SCC connected to the 6548 performs. The 250v PV limit is just a royal PITA. But the 6548s won't go to waste. I have ancillary solar projects on my wish list once I'm done with the house. I do have other buildings here. They all seem to cry out for solar!

Yeah, I know it's a big difference in cost but it's not apples to apples. I have a lot invested in this system and I'm 80% to where I'd like to be. I need to finish it. I'm actually about 150% of where I originally expected to be, at least in part thanks to this forum and people like you, but goals change!

No oil wells, dammit. It's near impossible to get mineral rights in Texas and has been for decades. So if there was a well I wouldn't get much from it. I do, however, have a lake house we're planning on selling in the spring. We just never use it anymore. So that will provide some discretionary funding for critical needs such as solar projects. I'm just trying to be patient until then. I may not make it. :ROFLMAO:

Grid-tied is just another function on this hybrid AIO.
You don't have to use every function.
I just prefer to not pay for functions that I won't use.
If there were a lower priced off grid version. I might be all over it. If the price for value made sense to me.
I would definitely like to play with it. If I had any free time to do so. lol

Last edited:
WOW! :love: you heard it folks, even Tim is tempted by this new unit! LOL.
I wonder if they are working on other versions, perhaps a larger or smaller output version.
It is super interesting to see the direction the Inverter product technology is going, lots of great features, competition to the Sol-Ark at a significantly lower price point. I am encouraged that we are just seeing the beginning of a long run of improvements, features and prive for value.
As you said earlier, it seems I always buy into a product just as a better one comes out; I decided to keep with my MPP's for a few more years and just add in a third unit to bring up my capacity from 13kW to 18.5kW, although at the cost of even more idle stand-by consumption...LOL. I can see more PV added in next year.

Oh, I was very excited about it's announcement. (Except for the naming)
I think that it's a great addition to the offerings available. Competition is always good for the customers.
And I think that it will be a great unit for a lot of people.
It doesn't compare to my current price for value. But I don't need grid-tied or UL listed.
I would definitely like to put it through it's paces.

I wonder if they are working on other versions, perhaps a larger or smaller output version.
It is super interesting to see the direction the Inverter product technology is going, lots of great features, competition to the Sol-Ark at a significantly lower price point. I am encouraged that we are just seeing the beginning of a long run of improvements, features and prive for value.
As you said earlier, it seems I always buy into a product just as a better one comes out; I decided to keep with my MPP's for a few more years and just add in a third unit to bring up my capacity from 13kW to 18.5kW, although at the cost of even more idle stand-by consumption...LOL. I can see more PV added in next year.
To bad they didn't design something around the old days of building a PC...
Make a main board to handle the brains and add components as needed....
More RAM sticks = more mppt
Bigger / faster processor = more inverter.
Modular system that can be expanded on over time, I suppose technology is evolving so fast things would be obsolete to quick.

I see a lot of the tier 1 proponents like guys who ride a Harley Davidson, criticizing guys who ride a Honda. Both machines do the same job.
More like a Caterpillar vs Sany; one has been around for a long time with great reliability, rarely changes models, and has part support out the wazoo. You pay for CAT; but that comes with great parts support.

That's one of the main issues with Growatt, EG4, etc. I would want to keep a pallet of the things as spares. Something tells me they won't last as nearly as long as tier one low frequency units. Which would be fine...IF they didn't change models like some of us change underwear. They are following the standard disposable electronic model of new features, new models, and incompatibility with previous units. Sure, they are cheap enough to keep spares on hand, but replacement of those spares becomes an issue.

I think they are great for starter units for someone wanting to get get offgrid ASAP that doesn't have a ton of money to throw at it. Then replace them in five or six years with better units once they go tits ups....if we have a civilization left in which we can still order things.

Last edited:
Do we know or just assume?
MPP/(some)EG4/Growatt = Voltronic,
my own experience (MPP), fried a comms board (my stupid error) MPP replied to email for help within two days, listed some tests to confirm damage was only to the comms board, quoted a price within a day of my reply on the test results, sent a new comms board to my rural address (mail box at the end of the lane) within 15-days. I call that 'good-enough' for service to me. Maybe this is exception and not the rule. Equipment seems to all run as intended since Spring 2021 so far. I push the inverters on a regular basis, nothing bad has happened...yet?...time will tell.

I'd shy away from the Growatt high frequency inverters but for no good reason except they seem cheap. Probably great for backup power or in an RV. My low frequency Growatt with the heavy transformer seems pretty well built and has been in service for almost 2 years.

I'd shy away from the Growatt high frequency inverters but for no good reason except they seem cheap. Probably great for backup power or in an RV. My low frequency Growatt with the heavy transformer seems pretty well built and has been in service for almost 2 years.
Mine are high frequency. lol

Engine lift?
I was thinking of that. I bought a chain hoist but not sure if I'll be able to get it high enough. I'm pretty resourceful and not afraid to try something dumb but I'm 62 and my wife is 68 and we really struggled to get the 6k Growatt on the wall.

I was thinking of that. I bought a chain hoist but not sure if I'll be able to get it high enough. I'm pretty resourceful and not afraid to try something dumb but I'm 62 and my wife is 68 and we really struggled to get the 6k Growatt on the wall.
Oh…I just remembered what we used. The heavier hydraulic cart from Harbor Freight (they have two versions. 1000 lb and 500 lbs capacity I think). I use the crap out of it so it wasn’t a single use purchase.

Oh…I just remembered what we used. The heavier hydraulic cart from Harbor Freight (they have two versions. 1000 lb and 500 lbs capacity I think). I use the crap out of it so it wasn’t a single use purchase.
Yep here it is pictured with my electrician. It can’t reach super high, but it helped immensely.
IMG_5806.jpeg

You can tell that he's an electrician. Because his shirt is tucked in the back of his pants.
As apposed to a plumber. lol
Lol. The dude is pretty hefty. He’s in his sixties still doing bodybuilding and lifting competitions. Former Ranger Battalion (and more importantly for me, former industrial AND residential electrician and retired power plant administrator, who also does dirt work on the side of his side hustle).

diy solar

diy solar
Back