diy solar

diy solar

I Can't Afford So-Called "Tier 1" Equipment. What's Good at Tier 2?

I agree we need a way to capture the quality, however a ten year track record would mean a new (promising) unit like the EG 18pv 12K inverter (which is UL) would be excluded from the list. Perhaps unfairly.
Maybe the underlying company track record - this was developed by Luxpower it appears from comments on the forum.
Could we use warranty-period as a proxy for quality, a company committed to a long warranty period would only do so after extensive testing.
Proven track record is the only way to know for sure.
Warranty doesn't mean anything, unless it has been Proven to be valuable.

I'm satisfied with my Growatt SPF 6k AIO. Some of the shortcomings it had were solved by putting in a Solar assist to manage it.
I have 24 volt versions on the wall and they are working great. Solar assistant does a great job of adding the missing pieces that
is not in the cloud or on them. I am now running a 3 ton AC off grid with the rest of the house.

I don't know I want to only buy ten-year-old technology in this rapidly evolving industry. but I see your point. A warranty is only as good as the company behind it.
I wonder too about some models where the forum appears to have caught a change mid-production. This could happen to any make or model, a few years into production they change some parts (to cut costs say) reports from the earlier version of the model all look good, but don't reflect the changed condition and reliability of the currently produced model.

I'm not saying that you should only buy Tier one products. (I own no "Tier one" solar equipment) I'm just saying what I would consider Tier one.
I have no such equipment either, but am considering future upgrades. {yes I am tempted by the EG4 18k-pv}
In 12kW output options, at the time I got started, the cost difference of 'Tier One' over equipment that appeared from reviews by Will and others to be perfectly functional, was just too much. If the MPP's had not worked out, the cost was not all that much anyway. Meanwhile it seemed clear from the beginning that the tech was still in the early stages and better offerings would be available within a few years or so, maybe less. So low cost to get started won out. Meanwhile I bought the PV panels new, so I don't need to climb up on a roof during the next twenty years. LOL.

Last edited:
I have no such equipment either, but am considering future upgrades. {yes I am tempted by the EG4 18k-pv}
In 12kW output options, at the time I got started, the cost difference of 'Tier One' over equipment that appeared from reviews by Will and others to be perfectly functional, was just too much. If the MPP's had not worked out, the cost was not all that much anyway. Meanwhile it seemed clear from the beginning that the tech was still in the early stages and better offerings would be available withing a few years or so, maybe less. So low cost to get started won out. Meanwhile I bought the PV panels new, so I don't need to climb up on a roof during the next twenty years. LOL.
Higher Tier wasn't important to me. Because it comes at a higher Tier price.
Reliability and price for value , was.
Research is cheap. So, I devoted a lot of time on it.

Reliability and price for value,
...and having EIGHT identical inverters...just in case! (I wish I had this level of redundancy!)
LOL
I agree,
I think the MPP's (Voltronic by another name) were a good compromise, and if the only option for 12kW output were $8,000 units like the Sol-Ark, I wouldn't be where I am with the system today. For 8-grand, I could have 6 MPP's and put 4 on a shelf in a farady cage.

Reliability and price for value,
...and having EIGHT identical inverters...just in case! (I wish I had this level of redundancy!)
LOL
I agree,
I think the MPP's (Voltronic by another name) were a good compromise, and if the only option for 12kW output were $8,000 units like the Sol-Ark, I wouldn't be where I am with the system today. For 8-grand, I could have 6 MPP's and put 4 on a shelf in a farady cage.
Or better yet, eight of the EG4 18k! You could probably talk James into a deal where you buy seven and get one free!

Also have to take into consideration people will place different value on different attributes for a system which in their minds will change what tier they think a product is in. I for one would consider anything that has to have a fan running full blast constantly an automatic "tier 2/3".

Sungoldpower has an ad running for (2) stackable 5048 inverters for $1650. That's about the best price I've seen lately for 10kw. Not many reviews to be found yet though.

And another 10% off this month it looks like so 20kw can be had for 3 grand. Compelling

Back