diy solar

diy solar

I posted in wiring but maybe better here for my Rv.

Azguy82

Need some help with my wiring.

Need a cut off switch (or a couple) for my dc? Is my inverter wired correct to the shunt? Or should it be other side? It reads correct on the app for produced pv an

And need ideas for my ac.

The installer who helped me install (he was just ok) ran romex but had the wrong kind and needed 3 strands instead of two. Also I hate that it’s exposed. To be fair. I’ve never had an issue with it but I’m just begging for a short or fire with it exposed.
I was thinking pvc pipe to act as conduit? It’s run next to gas line. That can’t be that safe? But as long as it’s protected should that be fine? The LP pipe already has screws that I can use to attach my new pvc/conduit.
I don’t want to cut open my underbelly but I need to Re wire this AC. Also I have zero experience with ac but Can just follow what’s already installed and run new (better protected Romex) lines.

is pvc enough? Should I go with standard conduit? Should I figure out how to run in the underbelly? Did you run through your coach? I’m kinda lost

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 5227A073-473C-49EA-A37A-1110E69E185B.jpeg
    5227A073-473C-49EA-A37A-1110E69E185B.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 64
  • CD05FD9E-0C3D-4607-85E7-D81A1CF117AE.jpeg
    CD05FD9E-0C3D-4607-85E7-D81A1CF117AE.jpeg
    79.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 6F6DA39A-F061-4CA2-8F7B-DDC8E8F097C6.jpeg
    6F6DA39A-F061-4CA2-8F7B-DDC8E8F097C6.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 55
  • E8546CE4-A570-4106-AAEE-CF1E93681161.jpeg
    E8546CE4-A570-4106-AAEE-CF1E93681161.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 814412E9-D553-49CD-880E-FB3EF862D464.jpeg
    814412E9-D553-49CD-880E-FB3EF862D464.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 60
It's pretty messy work but to be honest most RV work is pretty messy just like residential construction these days.

If you need to go below like that I'd have gone with SOOW wire as the thick rubber jacket gives you some protection.

I hope is it stranded and not solid core?

I would put that in a pvc conduit of sorts, you can get corrugated waterproof conduit if its easier. If you use rigid use a LB fitting on each end to facilitate the bend into the floor....
NMD/Romex is commonly used in RV's, I have never seen anything but...
That is an illustration on the issues with built in transfer. If the transfer switch and charger were at the panel you would only need 1 wire to feed from the inverter.

I would put that in a pvc conduit of sorts, you can get corrugated waterproof conduit if its easier. If you use rigid use a LB fitting on each end to facilitate the bend into the floor....
NMD/Romex is commonly used in RV's, I have never seen anything but...
That is an illustration on the issues with built in transfer. If the transfer switch and charger were at the panel you would only need 1 wire to feed from the inverter.

My Winnebagos have always used SOOW from the shore power inlet to the panel, as well as from generator to the shore inlet.

Get those exposed line voltage wires under the RV in a conduit ASAP. That is a fire or electrocution in the making.
Shunt looks fine.
Put a breaker/disconnect on all loads.

Last edited:
For routing solar wires to the batteries is conduit. I used PVC electrical conduit, but I think indoor conduit is supposed to be metal. I think PVC is intended for burial.

I drilled a hole in the roof in the master bedroom as solar in and the another in the floor to the pass though luggage rack where the batteries are. I put a bigger than I needed conduit between the two holes. This allowed enough room to add on later.

I needed access under the corrugated cardboard, and it’s a pain, but a cats claw, a hammer, I pulled the nails securing the plastic off and drilled a hole big enough to add a self tapping bolt and fender washer to resecure it.

Not familiar with the SOOW designation-not used up here, is it "cab tire" like an extension cord? If so never seen it in an RV except the connection cord itself....

It's pretty messy work but to be honest most RV work is pretty messy just like residential construction these days.

If you need to go below like that I'd have gone with SOOW wire as the thick rubber jacket gives you some protection.

I hope is it stranded and not solid core?
I will look into SOOW and prob protect that with pvc the whole way back

Get those exposed line voltage wires under the RV in a conduit ASAP. That is a fire or electrocution in the making.
Shunt looks fine.
Put a breaker/disconnect on all loads.
Yes thats why Im here. I was super worried about fire risk etc. Trying to find the best way to do that.

For routing solar wires to the batteries is conduit. I used PVC electrical conduit, but I think indoor conduit is supposed to be metal. I think PVC is intended for burial.

I drilled a hole in the roof in the master bedroom as solar in and the another in the floor to the pass though luggage rack where the batteries are. I put a bigger than I needed conduit between the two holes. This allowed enough room to add on later.

I needed access under the corrugated cardboard, and it’s a pain, but a cats claw, a hammer, I pulled the nails securing the plastic off and drilled a hole big enough to add a self tapping bolt and fender washer to resecure it.
Do you have a pic of your pvc and how you ran it?

I drilled through the roof and made a combiner box based off this video:

Instead of using a snake cam to route wires as i the vid, I put a PVC pipe through the roof, along the wall, and to the floor. Much easier install, and there was a place to put this pipe that was out of the way.

For me, I drilled a test hole with my drill with a long bit from the ceiling inside out. For the roof, know where the beams are, and don't go through those. Took a bit a figuring to figure the correct place to run the PVC to avoid the beams on the roof, the slide out, keep the PVC in an out of the way place, and other obstacles.

I don't have a picture, but all I did was buy a section of PVC pipe, and cut it down to size, roof to floor. Before I installed it, I primed and spray painted it as something close to the wall.

This is the project box with the PVC pipe sticking through it:

1615147470232.png
Those are four 10 AWG wires and I later added an additional two 6 AWG wired for another run. I actually wish I got the pipe a little bigger.

SOOW description from Wikipedia...

A portable cord (also known as portable cordage, flexible cord, or extension cord) is a cable with multiple conductors used for temporary electrical power connections requiring flexibility

I just saw you can’t put soow in conduit but i def want that wire protected. So it’s either just soow or, Romex in Liquidtight conduit I think. What’s your opinion?

No romex in conduit either. Get stranded individual wires rated for conduit/autos heat ranges and pull through. It is more expensive but ultimately easier to work with. Thermoplastic or crosslinked insulation.

A benefit of soow over romex I did not see mentioned is that SOOW has stranded wire.

What size wire are you planning.
I have a 50amp so that calls for 6awg. 6/4 for the 50 amp/charger and I think 6/3 for the inverter side I think. So 7 lines?

my battery bank is in the front of the trailer and the breakers are in the rear so that’s like 7x35ft of wire @ 6awg it’s going to be expensive

Back