diy solar

diy solar

I really like the new powerpro battery..

There are EG4 branded connectors listed on SS website. Red and black with male and female matching parts. About $20 for a red set or the black set. After looking at other sources with confusing specs and much higher prices, this didn’t look that bad.

This may be a dumb question, but is it correct that the Power Pro turns on with the on/off switch when the breaker is in the off position?

I suppose it depends on how big your system is. I'd rather have 6 batteries (30kwh) than 2 (29kwh) purely because if something were to happen with 1 battery and it needs to be serviced or something, I'd only lose 17% of my storage compared to 50% if there were only 2 batteries. That of course changes with scale so it really depends on the total size/capacity of your system. I also don't like the 12" spacing requirement between batteries that the manual says you need for the Power Pro's, so horizontal space becomes more of a concern.

T

Thanks I will make a post! I’m working on a full YouTube video series for the install also. I think recording everything was the most painful part lol.
I did MY BUILD THREAD (link in signature) not only as a show me log, but as way to REMEMBER parts, part numbers, and everything I did to make the things - hence dual purpose

More than happy with the 2 powerpros that I have in service for about 6 weeks now. Seems like they get better with age, or at least the state of charge is higher at bed time. Switch from grid to solar about 8 AM, batteries full before noon. The bi-facials trickle in just enough to meet load during late afternoon. Switch back to grid around midnight with 50 to 60 percent SOC. Don't want to run out during the night; got to keep the wife's oxygen maker running or she freaks out. Waiting for the 3rd powerpro to arrive.

I didn't realize it until last night, but I think this battery is pretty sweet. The look, form factor, busbar with quick connectors, communication ability, internal heaters, outdoor rated and the list goes on.

Now I want to dump my server rack batteries. Which one would you rather have. This setup:
View attachment 162371
Or four of these:
View attachment 162372

I just love the look. I love sci-fi movies and I want to make a system that looks really cool. I'm thinking four batteries and an 18K would do everything I need.

The communication set up was a bit difficult. I should probably make a setup video for beginners. I think anybody could figure it out though if they read the whole manual. I think there should be a tutorial on designating the master battery right after the communication protocol set up.

But besides that, this battery is pretty impressive. I'm going to be asking all of the other companies why they don't have this type of battery. Hopefully we can get some healthy competition into the market.

What do you guys think. Is there anything that you dislike about this battery that I'm missing? I really didn't think I was going to like it but seeing it in my shop in person, makes me want only these batteries now. I think I might move my server rack batteries into my garage today. I only have two power pro batteries but I could run everything I need with them. I'm almost at 5 megawatt hours with my 18K, so I really don't need to push tons of loads through it anymore. Making a beautiful system would be fun. I want to add LED lights behind it and make it pop :)
Did you build and assemble it yourself?

Hello brand new here. I will be buying a eg4 18k inverter. My big question after seeing your new battery video is. This is my first system and really want to buy the best for the money. Which would you suggest buying the eg4 bundle with eg4 30kwh batteries. Or eg4 18k with 2 eg4 power pro batteries 28kwh? Or the eg4 with the Ruixu 30kwh server rack? Thank you so very much in advance

I will be buying a eg4 18k inverter.
EG4 does not offer an 18k inverter.
I believe that you are referring to the EG4 18kpv. (12k inverter)
I personally can't make any recommendations for a grid-tied (for export) setup. I'm strictly an off grid (with grid backup) guy.
But people here seem to be split between the server rack batteries and the big heavy batteries. The server rack batteries (50lbs) are easy for one person to install. And offer redundancy. The big batteries (300lbs) are not as easy to install. But take up less floor space.

Yes you are correct about the inverter. I am trying to make battery system with critical load panel. And just importing from the grid we need it and not exporting.

diy solar

diy solar
Back