diy solar

diy solar

I Will Never Buy A EG4 Inverter Again

Zwy

Emperor Of Solar
I guess you can abuse the SCC with PV overvoltage, then post a video on the internet blaming the inverter is at fault?

10 x 400W bifacial panels in series. Did he mention the brand so we can check the Voc?

EG4:
Max PV Array Open Circuit
500VDC
PV Array
90VDC - 450VDC

I guess you can abuse the SCC with PV overvoltage, then post a video on the internet blaming the inverter is at fault?
We've been working with this individual for a while. Sometimes it's tough to get people to change their minds about how things work. He fried that board with PV, so F11 won't clear on its own.

Last edited:
10 x 400W bifacial panels in series. Did he mention the brand so we can check the Voc?

EG4:
Max PV Array Open Circuit
500VDC
PV Array
90VDC - 450VDC
Probably something like the Trina which is 50VOC. 10 panels in series=500VOC

He stated he had it working for a few months, then it quit working. When colder weather hit, the VOC was higher than 500V and the result was the failure.

Max Voc is a hard limit. If you don't know that, you should find a new hobby. Or hire a qualified electrician.
At the 4 min mark he goes on about a switch so the inverter cuts off in over current, then over voltage. Confusing to say the least.

I’ve watched a few of his videos. I think he fried the first inverter with over voltage. Then fried the second when he didn’t use a precharge resistor. That’s just a guess though of course.

I’ve watched a few of his videos. I think he fried the first inverter with over voltage. Then fried the second when he didn’t use a precharge resistor. That’s just a guess though of course.

Don’t the LiFePower batteries have precharge built-in or is that later models?

Is there ANY charge controller on the market that can protect against going over the the maximum allowed voltage for the controller? I don't know of any.

Is there ANY charge controller on the market that can protect against going over the the maximum allowed voltage for the controller? I don't know of any.
Yes. Midnite has charge controllers that allow you to go over the max voc. It's called hypervoc and it adds the voltage of the battery in addition to the max rating to allow for some wiggle room. Example- midnite classic 150 is rated at 150v max voc but when running it with a 48 battery, you have a safe limit of 198 voc. Great feature when you are pushing the limits of your CC and cold weather puts you over the top.

Yes. Midnite Solar classic have a HyperVoc function. They will operate normally up to their limit, but above that, they will shut off until Voc drops down to limit. There is a HyperVoc limit too.

Edit: @Koldsimer beat me to it.

Back