diy solar

diy solar

In over my head with setting up my electrical system alone, is it possible to hire someone to help build system?

nmgarvin1

So I'm in the process of building my van. I work full time and climb every day, and I'm basically learning, purchasing, and building as I work and get more money and time. I've finally gotten all of the major electrical components for my van, and I've made most of my wiring diagram, based off of explorist.life's wiring diagram online.

I have an electrical engineer for a brother, and he is willing to help, but it's very rare that I can get him to meet with me and actually help set up the system.

It's been almost a year now that I've had the van, and I remember thinking it would take me 2-3 months to finish it, quickly realizing I was gravely mistaken. And now, one year later, I still feel like I have 6+ months left of work. If not much more at this rate.

I've gotten more and more frustrated trying to make everything perfect before I quit my job and go full time, and I'm starting to give up the idea of completing and understanding everything on my own. I just want the van done. I have all of the components besides the batteries, and now I'm stuck because I can't finish the walls or ceiling or cabinets, until I start installing the wiring and electrical. But honestly, there's just so much I still don't understand.

Is there any way to hire one person, or a team of people to help me along in the process, showing me how things work, how to wire them, etc.

And if so, how much do you think this would cost?

I don't want to just drop off the van and the components and have someone install everything for me, I'd prefer to just hire someone experienced and actually help set everything up and walk me through all of it so I can fix anything if I needed to.

Probably worth giving an indication where you are on an international forum

I can point you in the right direction if you are in NZ
Sorry lol, very true. I'm in the Twin Cities, Minnesota. In the US. Don't know why I didn't think to post that.

Bay Marine Supply offers consults by the hour to help design your system.

Also, where are you located?
Thank you! That's actually very helpful. I guess Victron does as well but it's up to $200/hour it sounds like.

And I'm in the US. Minnesota.

Realising/fixing someone else's possibly misconceived vision has historically not been my favorite kind of gig.
Just sayin.

Would absolutely love to help!! Flights start at ... actually there are no flights rights now! Not surprising, I guess. Best I could offer is a few video-calls to help you get moving.

Would absolutely love to help!! Flights start at ... actually there are no flights rights now! Not surprising, I guess. Best I could offer is a few video-calls to help you get moving.
I can't believe I never saw this! I would ABSOLUTELY appreciate that. I can pay as well if it takes up a bit too much time. I'm trying to finish up my wiring diagram right now, and it's getting there but I still feel like I have a long way to go. Once the diagram is done, I need to start making the electrical box and cabinets that all of the components will go into. So.. basically the hardest part of the whole van build.

No problem, PM me and we can arrange something.

Back