diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Yeah I definitely noticed and fans blow down...so heat rises back up heating the inverter...weird... I mentioned above in this too long thread.?

I've since noticed heat also blowing out the upper side vents as well....

We got clouds and snow and rain for the next couple of days, might as well take the opportunity to go to grid and do another full charge on the batteries.

Happy Holidays All!!

Well looks like the only way to get battery #5 to Full 100% SOC is to pull it out and charge independently... For the third time it went to 99% and the inverter stopped charging while the remaining 4 batteries went to 100%. That's okay though... much better than I was seeing in the beginning when I was 'sure' battery 5 was defective.

Well looks like the only way to get battery #5 to Full 100% SOC is to pull it out and charge independently... For the third time it went to 99% and the inverter stopped charging while the remaining 4 batteries went to 100%. That's okay though... much better than I was seeing in the beginning when I was 'sure' battery 5 was defective.
If you're getting to 3.45V / cell at float you're fine. Ignore the soc... It's not precise anyway. If you want real precision get a trusted shunt.
Mine is surprisingly close to matching what the inverter is reporting, normally they are further off. Most older cheaper BMS won't read accurately at lower current, I see this with my JBDs since adding the 3rd pack.
With multiple packs in parallel this becomes an issue if you have a low standby load or are hovering around a few hundred watts +/- on a cloudy day. The BMS likely won't read this low current with so many in parallel, the shunt will.

Have a Merry Christmas

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231224-161353.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224-161353.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20231224-161410.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224-161410.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20231224-161232.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224-161232.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20231224-161219.jpg
    Screenshot_20231224-161219.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 4
Well after a month of waiting my two additional (final?) solar panels did not arrive as scheduled yesterday.

:mad::mad::mad:

Amazon gives a new delivery date by 1/4/24. Refund if they do not show up. Arrrrgh!!

Well after a month of waiting my two additional (final?) solar panels did not arrive as scheduled yesterday.

:mad::mad::mad:

Amazon gives a new delivery date by 1/4/24. Refund if they do not show up. Arrrrgh!!
Oh no! I bet holiday has it all messed up. Hang in there I’ll bet they show up on 1/4. Not sure your area but I’ve had a lot of fun sourcing used panels in my area, and price per watt has been awesome. It’s so much less stressful going and picking up your own panels in my experience. I found this guy via Facebook market, he’s a used/new wholesalerECE235C3-E1A8-42BF-9A00-24B04C783838.jpeg8C20BD8F-5436-4BF1-9E57-D65449DBFA16.jpegD33DE5EC-59F0-49E7-A4C2-0660EB06B674.jpeg

$100 each

Yeah, well except I got no easy way to transport such things... :)

He we were talking about 'wasted' energy... just playing around a bit as my batteries approach full charge and noticing that earlier in the day I was getting max out from my panels .. about 3.3k and now a bit later only 1.2k or so... tried adding some load to the inverter (via an electric space heater in my office) and lo and behold the Solar PV Increased to cover it without diminishing the charging input to the batteries.
(and if I turn the space heater off the batteries keep charging at the same rate but the PV and Load power drop).

Interesting, very interesting.

and needless to say I had not noticed/been aware of this but was suspecting it from just various observations.

Last edited:

He we were talking about 'wasted' energy... just playing around a bit as my batteries approach full charge and noticing that earlier in the day I was getting max out from my panels .. about 3.3k and now a bit later only 1.2k or so... tried adding some load to the inverter (via an electric space heater in my office) and lo and behold the Solar PV Increased to cover it without diminishing the charging input to the batteries.
(and if I turn the space heater off the batteries keep charging at the same rate but the PV and Grid power drop).

and needless to say I had not noticed/been aware of this but was suspecting it from just various observations.
That’s awesome. Had the same thing happen today and charged my golf cart completely up, system still had a ton of energy coming in. When the sunshines it’s a party! Pretty exciting stuff 2133B63B-D457-4962-9F63-6F2CCA3D7B1D.jpeg69C891F2-F8F8-4985-92EA-92DD9CE5E3FF.jpegF452E575-C855-4C21-9EE1-7C7E5BE3356B.jpeg46CBD205-FA57-4C81-AEFF-872A457C45E6.jpeg

Kind of wish I had a pluggable vehicle.

Kind of wish I had a pluggable vehicle

I did it in reverse. Bought a PHEV 2 years ago and discovered that the price of electricity is not the same as in 2010 anymore. About 3-4x as much.

That prompted me to build my first off grid system, sole purpose to charge the car.

In summer, I visit the gas station twice. In winter every 2 months.

(and if I turn the space heater off the batteries keep charging at the same rate but the PV and Grid power drop).

Could you elaborate on this? It doesn't make sense to me.
Were you running in SBU or utility priority?

When I added to the load, the pv input increased. When I removed it the pv input decreased. I tested it several times.

Sbu. It's like the inverter is displaying pv 'used' not pv input.
The grid power part threw me off, it should be flatlined in SBU if the suns shining and batteries have a charge.

If you're batteries hit float voltage PV input will hover just above your loads.

Yes but my misunderstanding was that I thought the inverter would display the 'available power' but that really doesn't make sense now that I think about it. ?
Right it’s not really showing available it’s showing what the mppt is “accepting” ie load demanding right?

I don't think it can know unless it is drawing that power.
Although voltage and current of array will give a strong indication, once Vmp has already been determined.

I don't think it can know unless it is drawing that power.
Although voltage and current of array will give a strong indication, once Vmp has already been determined.
Yes, exactly. A battery just sitting there has unknown power available til you put a load on and measure it and you'd have to max out the load to know how much power it can supply. No way to measure it otherwise.

Hey all,
I’ve been “creeping” around on this forum since early November when I purchased a Sungold 8kW split phase inverter, two wall mount LiFe 5 kW batteries, four 550 Watt bifacial panels, and two Ecoworthy dual axis mounts. The idea was to see if I can get our small cabin at our pond off the grid and self sufficient. Kenny, your experience and documentation on this forum have proved to be a very valuable resource to me as I just got everything tied in this past Friday. Thank you for sharing your journey as it saved me a few headaches along the way.
Only online now for 48 hours and weather has not been particularly good for solar production, but I’ve made 7 kW in mostly overcast conditions so far and I’m sure once we get some sunny days I should be able to have my batteries fully charged in just a few more hours of direct sun.
I have yet to connect any AC load as I’m bringing my batteries up to near full charge from a 46% SOC when I received them. They were at 79% today at 2:00 CST so I’m making progress. Best production I have witnessed was Friday afternoon when I had 1.6 kW coming into the system from the PV - and that was late afternoon sun. I’m hoping for some clear days so I can really see what these bifacial panels can do.
Have had ZERO issues with my Sungold 8 kW inverter, much in part thanks to this forum and members documenting their journey. I have been doing all my work after hours and with this time of year I really only have an hour or so each night until I’ve lost daylight. The mounts and outside wiring have taken a lot of time - as I’ve checked and double checked everything several times before finally closing in breakers and watching it work.
My AC load at the cabin is small although during installation of my transfer switch I realized that my mini split unit when in heat mode actually draws nearly twice the load as it does in cooling mode - nearly 1,200 watts. This made me realize it won’t be fully autonomous with only 10 kW of battery and I’ll have to take advantage of another sale at Sungold in the future and add a couple more batteries bringing my total to 20kW. This will let me run the mini split at least 13 hours. Other load is an old 1953 Philco fridge (run wattage of 320 watts) and LED lights which are 50 watts maximum. LP gas heater can make enough heat that the mini split won’t have to run, so it will take some experimenting to get things to run on their own without using too much reserve battery.
Once again, thanks to everyone on this forum for sharing their experiences. It certainly helped me a BUNCH!!

I’ve attached some images of my journey including the anchor cages I built for the Eco-Worthy dual axis mounts. I have decades of microwave tower experience, so this approach seemed the most efficient when anchoring the panel mount pedestals. Feel free to reach out if you want some dimensions on the anchors. 948A532E-CA9F-4141-ADC1-75ACDD00B625.jpeg627585C2-B63A-46BB-A439-E00CD49D5690.jpegE9E741E5-D453-4A83-ADDF-2B74E58C2E37.jpeg879D1027-490F-4230-8315-A0F859A35173.jpeg1C0451E9-22D1-44D3-A529-F8A1F3914B5D.jpeg1D6910C1-4F59-4D4E-99D4-D2A53D8427AE.jpeg3A1E6E75-C5E0-4EC8-B7E5-7272FC78B319.jpeg

Kirk Lee
NW Missouri

diy solar

diy solar
Back