diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Time to check on the charging results with the new 55.2V setting. Sun is still out but weak.

Rack display shows 55.21V. All 5 batteries are between 55.2V and 55.25V, sounds good.

However, when I measure with a volt meter at the front contacts (left, right), it shows 54.8V

The inverter at the output also measures 54.8V

I have observed a similar discrepancy of 0.2V on my 24V system.

The cells are still unbalanced, between 3386mV and 3639mV. Surprisingly it did not go into OVP with 3639mV.

I call this a disappointment.

20240122_145727.jpg20240122_152244.jpg20240122_152300.jpg20240122_152315.jpg20240122_152328.jpg

Battery on top threw OVP and shows 54.64V, claiming 100% SOC.

The other 4 all show 55.2V, claiming 89% to 92% SOC.

The one on top was bought separately, maybe something different inside.

2nd from top is master, but I run without communications.

The lower 4 also have less than great cell balance. Approximately 100mV between lowest and highest.

Current shows 0A on all because pv matches load.

Attachments

• 20240122_163701.jpg
    20240122_163701.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 3
I just wish someone had told me to go to USER mode sooner!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Woulda been much happier as I have been for the last week or so...Everything running much smoother and not requiring constant babysitting!

Woohoo!
Lmao! I had to search this thread to see how many times @42OhmsPA said “user” and it was 2 pages of results

I just wish someone had told me to go to USER mode sooner!
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Woulda been much happier as I have been for the last week or so...Everything running much smoother and not requiring constant babysitting!

Woohoo!
@Kenny_ you are user, are you SLA also? (comms disabled)?

Here my update on the battery balancing. Since with 55.2V, I was still getting OVP status, on Tuesday I reduced the charging voltage to 54.8V.
Today is the first sunny day.. 1:30pm and already 10kW from the panels.

I won't report voltages read from the rack battery any more as they are meaningless if the battery is still connected. Took me only a month to figure that out 😒

Instead the SOC per battery, and BMS status and charging amps:

#1 96% - idle, 0A
#2 88% - chg, 0.9A
#3 82% - chg, 1.5A
#4 94% - chg, 2A
#5 100%- chg, 3A

No communications. User mode. Why does #5 get 3A when full..?? The rest makes sense.

#1 has unbalanced cells, about 150mV between lowest and highest.
#2-#5 are much better balanced on cell level.. about 10mV between low and high.

Here my update on the battery balancing. Since with 55.2V, I was still getting OVP status, on Tuesday I reduced the charging voltage to 54.8V.
Today is the first sunny day.. 1:30pm and already 10kW from the panels.

I won't report voltages read from the rack battery any more as they are meaningless if the battery is still connected. Took me only a month to figure that out 😒

Instead the SOC per battery, and BMS status and charging amps:

#1 96% - idle, 0A
#2 88% - chg, 0.9A
#3 82% - chg, 1.5A
#4 94% - chg, 2A
#5 100%- chg, 3A

No communications. User mode. Why does #5 get 3A when full..?? The rest makes sense.

#1 has unbalanced cells, about 150mV between lowest and highest.
#2-#5 are much better balanced on cell level.. about 10mV between low and high.
Yes the current will continue to push energy into the battery til it hits BMS max. Hopefully balancing cells as it does. That's what happened with mine when charging from grid after going to user mode.

Yes the current will continue to push energy into the battery til it hits BMS max. Hopefully balancing cells as it does. That's what happened with mine when charging from grid after going to user mode.
I’m messing around with user mode and SLA no comms, it appears params 58-60 are not available once you shut off comms? I assume it’s because the inverter doesnt “know” SOC anymore because it’s not communicating with BMS? I really wanted to make my param 61 switch to utility be 25% and even in user mode with batts it doesn’t stick, so I assume user mode no comms just looks at voltages when to decide to leave the batts for grid switch?1B0339E9-363D-42ED-9EB8-AE2059F1A501.jpeg

Also are you guys doing anything with params 16-21 once in user mode? I assume keeping equalization charging disabled correct?
image.jpg

Yes, I noticed that as well. It's okay though you can set the (aggregate) voltage to an appropriate level...
Right so the inverter could “watch” param 04 voltage point of battery switch to utility and 05 voltage point of utility switch to battery instead; my BMS set

04 49.2
05 57.6

By default

I’m going back to L16 comms until Friday night then I can watch it over the weekend

Also are you guys doing anything with params 16-21 once in user mode? I assume keeping equalization charging disabled correct?

I had not paid attention to these parameters. Isn't equalization charging a good thing?
Would it be equalization between the batteries, or on cell level?

I am in User mode, communication is off.
Found these settings:

16 disabled.. I enabled
17 was 54.8V
18 was default 120
19 was 240
20 was 120
21 was dis

I notice that [17] was not included in this snippet from SGP:

"【15】<【12】<【04】<【14】<【35】<【37】<【05】<【09】=【11】"

(Page 60 in this thread)

Where does [17] fall there?

I had not paid attention to these parameters. Isn't equalization charging a good thing?
Would it be equalization between the batteries, or on cell level?

I am in User mode, communication is off.
Found these settings:

16 disabled.. I enabled
17 was 54.8V
18 was default 120
19 was 240
20 was 120
21 was dis

I notice that [17] was not included in this snippet from SGP:

"【15】<【12】<【04】<【14】<【35】<【37】<【05】<【09】=【11】"

(Page 60 in this thread)

Where does [17] fall there?
Disable 16. You do not want equalization charging for lifepo4! It is meant for lead acid.

Right so the inverter could “watch” param 04 voltage point of battery switch to utility and 05 voltage point of utility switch to battery instead; my BMS set

04 49.2
05 57.6

By default

I’m going back to L16 comms until Friday night then I can watch it over the weekend
My 04 is set to 47.6
05 - 53.2

However there might be something to consider with equalization.
Since with a battery type of User you can set the equalization voltage (to something safe for a LifePo4) and you can also set the equalization time (in minutes) and equalization interval (in days) you could conceivably on a routine basis apply a specific charging voltage to the battery for a specific interval of time. I do not know if while the Inverter is "equalizing" the battery it disregards #1 (AC Output source priority) and switches to grid and "equalizes" the battery.

Just a thought.....

#1 96% - idle, 0A
#2 88% - chg, 0.9A
#3 82% - chg, 1.5A
#4 94% - chg, 2A
#5 100%- chg, 3A

and now today's SOC:

90%
83%
77%
93%
100%

but the interesting/ best part is .. on cell level.. all 5 batteries' cells are between 3378mV and 3382mV

It's currently charging .. overcast.. 1200W go into the batteries about 22A total. Yesterday I had bigger discrepancies but there was much more sun.

If I compare yesterday and today, it seems that the first 3 batteries did all the work over night and the last 2 did not change much. I am not sure why. They are on a bus bar with equal connection wires.

and now today's SOC:

90%
83%
77%
93%
100%

but the interesting/ best part is .. on cell level.. all 5 batteries' cells are between 3378mV and 3382mV

It's currently charging .. overcast.. 1200W go into the batteries about 22A total. Yesterday I had bigger discrepancies but there was much more sun.

If I compare yesterday and today, it seems that the first 3 batteries did all the work over night and the last 2 did not change much. I am not sure why. They are on a bus bar with equal connection wires.
Yes. Good. Glad the cells are looking more balanced. I've yet to figure out why the discrepancies in energy in and out of the batteries particularly WRT SOC which I'm learning to ignore. But even that the system sometimes tends to put more energy into the batteries that are already ahead and drain the ones that are the lowest. I'm trying to ignore the insanity and just let 'er run. It's working okay for the past week ++...

The thing I'm paying more attention to is the voltages which have remained relatively close between the 5 batteries/packs despite wildly different SOCs

right now:
Screenshot 2024-01-26 143422.png

the voltages which have remained relatively close between the 5 batteries/packs despite wildly different SOCs

I don't think that we really know the voltage of each separate rack battery until we disconnect them and let them sit for an hour without load or charge.

E.g. my battery could show 54V right now, but if I plug in my car charger, it will immediately drop to 52V. Once I remove the car charger, it may go back to 53.9V or even 54V.. depends on how briefly I had the car charger in use.

So, unfortunately, I place more value on the SOC numbers now.

Today all 5 batteries show the same voltage.. because they are on charge by pv.

I suspect that I could turn off the inverter, and the solar panels -- no discharge and no input - and then I may see different voltage readings.

I don't think that we really know the voltage of each separate rack battery until we disconnect them and let them sit for an hour without load or charge.

E.g. my battery could show 54V right now, but if I plug in my car charger, it will immediately drop to 52V. Once I remove the car charger, it may go back to 53.9V or even 54V.. depends on how briefly I had the car charger in use.

So, unfortunately, I place more value on the SOC numbers now.

Today all 5 batteries show the same voltage.. because they are on charge by pv.

I suspect that I could turn off the inverter, and the solar panels -- no discharge and no input - and then I may see different voltage readings.
That's true... but just comparing them both while charging and under load etc... they are all very close usually same or about .1 difference here.

I don't trust the SOC...it's just calculated and based on charging and discharging to various voltage levels. I put a lot of faith in SOC for the last few months but now not so much.

diy solar

diy solar
Back