diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

BMS won't read low currents, for example if I charge at 5A the current split between my 3 packs is only 1.666A, one of my BMS doesn't always read it even at a low SOC. (I could will have to try calibrating them.

I think that's what happens at my installation now. Voltage has increased by 0.4V but BMS shows no change in SOC.

*How* do you calibrate this?

I think that's what happens at my installation now. Voltage has increased by 0.4V but BMS shows no change in SOC.

In the BMS software there's a calibration section, I haven't used it because it's half english, half chinese and I don't want to mess anything up...

If you have JBDs, scroll down to JBD Tools for the software.
Iirc the overkill app also has a calibration function.

As I 'fully' charged my 5 Sungold Rack batteries the last couple of times (under USER) mode and it pushed the voltage/charging Up from where it had been under Closed Loop it seemed to adjust somewhat the SOC to match the new fuller point....at least it seemed that way...not analytics to back it up but....it did seem to adjust to a 'new full'.

Seems much smoother operation the last few days....currently down to 55% SOC at 52.3 V (aggregate)
Battery in and out and etc seem to be much more even (certainly than in beginning before first real charge when I trying to run exclusively off of Solar). Much happier with the system this week.

I did have a couple of Solar Assistant 'blackouts/disconnects' for some reason yesterday. I still think it may be due to stray RF getting into the power/usb cables. I probably moved them around a bit while connecting/disconnecting etc the RS485 Comm cables when checking batteries and going in and out of User/Closed Loop modes.

Today is supposed to be mostly cloudy and maybe tomorrow too....may have to 'go to grid' and if so will try another full charge of batteries.

Screenshot 2024-01-21 055355.png

Last edited:
My 230ah packs have been staying close the 305ah is much different, I think this may have to do with resistance.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240121-130424.jpg
    Screenshot_20240121-130424.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240121-122723.jpg
    Screenshot_20240121-122723.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 2
Seems much smoother operation the last few days....currently down to 55% SOC at 52.3 V (aggregate)
Battery in and out and etc seem to be much more even (certainly than in beginning before first real charge when I trying to run exclusively off of Solar). Much happier with the system this week.

I did have a couple of Solar Assistant 'blackouts/disconnects' for some reason yesterday. I still think it may be due to stray RF getting into the power/usb cables. I probably moved them around a bit while connecting/disconnecting etc the RS485 Comm cables when checking batteries and going in and out of User/Closed Loop modes.

Today is supposed to be mostly cloudy and maybe tomorrow too....may have to 'go to grid' and if so will try another full charge of batteries.

View attachment 190385
@Kenny_ so you’ve been in user mode? That means you also disconnected the BMS cable right? So you’re running better without the batt comes and user mode? My inverter today kept pumping voltage in well into 100% SOC until I threw OVPs on both batts and they disconnected, what was weird is the green charging light wasn’t even blinking on the inverter and the inverter display said battery FULL but 13amps kept flowing into batts for a long time,

Kind of weird. The batts disconnected with their built in disconnects but I’m thinking I may get away from comms if you’ve ran better without DAC8AF37-4059-4E6C-A37C-F478B40A547E.jpeg

@Kenny_ so you’ve been in user mode? That means you also disconnected the BMS cable right? So you’re running better without the batt comes and user mode? My inverter today kept pumping voltage in well into 100% SOC until I threw OVPs on both batts and they disconnected, what was weird is the green charging light wasn’t even blinking on the inverter and the inverter display said battery FULL but 13amps kept flowing into batts for a long time,

Kind of weird. The batts disconnected with their built in disconnects but I’m thinking I may get away from comms if you’ve ran better without View attachment 190436
That's totally weird and uncalled for! LOL! I definitely would suggest giving it a try. That's what I did after dragging my feet a long while.... Just make sure you document your current settings and then give it a try. I was quite surprised how well it went but got a bit excited (I AM an Excitable Boy as Warren says) when the voltage kept climbing and climbing after hitting 100% SOC and then the BL's started going on and off and round and round on the SOKTools/PbmsTools. Heck I even ended up modifying the params in one of the batteries (but it didn't seem to matter either way so may put it back - This requires SOKTools and the password paceadmin).

Cloudy here today and maybe the next few days so not much charging going on but I'm going to let it keep running and see if it will drop down enough to start charging from and switch to grid.

I'm almost convinced your and my UV and OV errors are due to not pushing the batteries/cells to the limit....

I haven't had any of that or any errors for that matter since switching to USER last week. Hope it stays that way!

...of course now that I've said that out loud....

That's totally weird and uncalled for! LOL! I definitely would suggest giving it a try. That's what I did after dragging my feet a long while.... Just make sure you document your current settings and then give it a try. I was quite surprised how well it went but got a bit excited (I AM an Excitable Boy as Warren says) when the voltage kept climbing and climbing after hitting 100% SOC and then the BL's started going on and off and round and round on the SOKTools/PbmsTools. Heck I even ended up modifying the params in one of the batteries (but it didn't seem to matter either way so may put it back - This requires SOKTools and the password paceadmin).

Cloudy here today and maybe the next few days so not much charging going on but I'm going to let it keep running and see if it will drop down enough to start charging from and switch to grid.

I'm almost convinced your and my UV and OV errors are due to not pushing the batteries/cells to the limit....

I haven't had any of that or any errors for that matter since switching to USER last week. Hope it stays that way!

...of course now that I've said that out loud....
So basically I’d write down what my settings are now, that the L16 and BMS set in my inverter value like this, red:
image.jpg

Then I’d set 08 to user,
And go back through settings in inverter and make sure they are same as BMS had defined prior (red).

Then set param 32 to SLA (disable comms)
Then I could tweak my own user settings in the inverter and they’d actually stick.

Yep and unplug that comm cable. I used @42OhmsPA suggested settings above as a start:

Here's what mine were/are: https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-980132

Guys why does the spec sheet for the rack batts and the wall batt state the recommended charge voltage is 54.5. Seem like based on our thread we're all throwing higher voltage at these batts than what the sheets state. I don't remember the sheets saying 54.5? This is off the SG website
User.JPG

Guys why does the spec sheet for the rack batts and the wall batt state the recommended charge voltage is 54.5. Seem like based on our thread we're all throwing higher voltage at these batts than what the sheets state. I don't remember the sheets saying 54.5? This is off the SG website
View attachment 190682

54.5V cannot even be configured with the SGP charger/ inverter.

The BMS sets it to 56.4 and from there, you can go down in steps of 0.4V, e.g. 55.2V or 54.8V

They are probably targeting 3.40v per cell. Which makes balancing as a pack unrealistic.
They are likely trying to just be conservative so they don’t get a million warranty claims

"Better ask Cindy"

hey it could be a miniseries!

Even the default for the Inverter #09 is 57.6 and if you are in closed loop it gets set to 56.4

What @G00SE said....
Yeah I find that extremely odd. Can't say I am surprised though.. Reminds me what you use to say., "Ready for Prime Time".... sometimes i think maybe not..

I didn't turn off communications.

@Lighthouse Beacon was right. Item 32 has to be turned off ("sla"). We got some sun and I found that the BMS had changed 09,11 back to the original values.
All my other changes did stick though!

So, I turned off communications with setting 32 and also again set 9,11 to 55.2V each.

Last edited:

diy solar

diy solar
Back