diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Two new panels arrived...connected in and working but clouds have rolled in so not much production... but I'll have 4.4 Kw when the sun shines so with an average of 5 hours that should average me out to about 20Kw per day which is about my average usage.
PXL_20240109_211331026.jpg

It came at a cost though....getting the damn package off the porch to the garage the whole thing fell knocking me on my ass and scraping the skin off both arms as I caught my self on the concrete driveway while trying to save the panels. LOL! What a mess...

PXL_20240109_205221143.jpg

Good thing I was planning on throwing that shirt out cause there's blood all over it!
Be careful out there!

P.S. Assure me I am right in that this inverter SGP10K48SP will take 450 V and 22 A in each input PV1 and PV2
Renogy 550 Watt panels 4 in series for each input. (Don't want to suffer the same fate as my EcoFlow River 2 i.e. Pzzzzzzttttttt!!!!)

Screenshot 2024-01-09 144414.png

Screenshot 2024-01-09 144332.png

P.S. for anyone that is just joining us... I've just stuck those panels there temporarily but may do a more permanent ground mount about where there are as that seems to be the optimum place in the back yard and I'm thinking I don't want them on the roof....particularly not while I'm flying under the radar....

Looking good the array is growing. Yes don’t let 100 bucks in power savings cost 1000 medical bill! Lol glad you are alright and they came,

Yes based on the potential voltage increase from cold I tried to stay under 450 to be safe

You might want to take a look at each battery with the PbmsTools program (you can also use the SOKTools.exe, You did not hear this from me but the password for the SOKTool is "paceadmin"). With the SOKTool in admin mode you can view the BMS parameter settings. Just don't change them, might invalidate any warranty.

Using the software you can view the cell voltages and any alarms the batteries might have. You can view how well the cells in a battery are balanced etc. You can even save the data to a spreadsheet.

I don't believe SA processes any battery (or inverter) alarm data even though it's getting the data.

In addition SA will not show (at least for me) if it loses communication to a battery. Just disconnect the ethernet cable from your last battery (assuming SA is connected to the top/first battery) and SA will continue to display battery 5 without and indication it cannot "talk" to battery 5. The only time SA will not show battery five missing is if you disconnect and reconnect on the Configuration tab. In addition, if you disconnect the BMS input to the inverter and the invert shows a BMS alarm, SA won't display it.

One thing you might consider is moving battery five closer to the top of the stack, see if that makes a difference.

One thing you might consider is moving battery five closer to the top of the stack, see if that makes a difference.
Thanks for the info... battery 5 was originally battery 3 .. I moved it in the sequence to see if it made any difference and no it did not.

Two new panels arrived...connected in and working but clouds have rolled in so not much production... but I'll have 4.4 Kw when the sun shines so with an average of 5 hours that should average me out to about 20Kw per day which is about my average usage.
View attachment 187884

It came at a cost though....getting the damn package off the porch to the garage the whole thing fell knocking me on my ass and scraping the skin off both arms as I caught my self on the concrete driveway while trying to save the panels. LOL! What a mess...

View attachment 187886

Good thing I was planning on throwing that shirt out cause there's blood all over it!
Be careful out there!
damn we got Sam Elliot, in the flesh

More weirdnesses....maybe time to go to "User" mode....

for some reason the system went to grid at about midnight and then back to battery at about 1:30 AM....
the SOC had dropped to 67 % was no appreciable load maybe 100 watts or so ...
battery voltage looks to have dropped to about 48.9 so maybe that's a clue and went back to battery at about 52.7

I'm not sure if it actually went to bypass mode or not...

curiouser and curiouser as Alice (not Cindy) said....

-----

back to add that maybe changing that param #27 "Inverter overload switch to bypass" being disabled (which I changed yesterday) is why it likely didn't switch to grid bypass but just charged the batteries ??

but there was only a tiny load of maybe 100 or 200 watts...no spike, no increase or change at the point the grid came on...

Last edited:
I watched my battery SOC and voltages dropping and just did a little experiment.... cranked everything on and it pulled the battery voltage down to 48.7 and the grid kicked in and also went to bypass mode...currently watching/waiting to see if it switches back when batteries hit 53 V as what appeared to have happened in the midnight hours (but with no actual load)

If you're battery voltage was 48.9V I highly doubt you were at 67% soc. That's pretty much dead.
If your loads were that low I suspect the BMSs aren't reading the low current since you have 5 packs in parallel; which would throw off your soc.

Sounds like voltage triggered a switch to grid and back to battery.

If you're battery voltage was 48.9V I highly doubt you were at 67% soc. That's pretty much dead.
If your loads were that low I suspect the BMSs aren't reading the low current since you have 5 packs in parallel; which would throw off your soc.

Sounds like voltage triggered a switch to grid and back to battery.
Yes.... and I'm still thinking it is that Battery #5 causing the whole issue....it is/was the lowest SOC of the 5. I wish I could see detailed historical data on each battery/cells/etc but don't have that sort of thing built in. :(

if this recovers and switches back at 53v I'm going to think about maybe disabling/switching off Battery #5 and see what happens system-wise that way over the next while...

... User.... User... User ?
Setting 04 - 48V or higher
05 ~53V
08 - USER
09 - 55.2V - 55.6V
10 - 90 - 120 minutes
11 - 54.8V
12 - 44V
13 - 10 seconds or so
14 - 48V
15 - 40V or higher
16 - disabled!
21 - disabled
22 - disabled
32 - SLA
If this recovers in the next hour or so....I'm very likely to go this way... I just want to try and understand what is happening and/but also understand the anomaly that is Battery #5!!

I remember you have added some batteries along the way and this one used to be #3
How many batteries were you running when it was #3

DID IT! Switched out of bypass/charging and went back to battery at (I'm guessing) a momentary hit on 53V...

I remember you have added some batteries along the way and this one used to be #3
How many batteries were you running when it was #3
very first setup was with one battery (still #1) then the second battery arrived about week or so later and it was added....then I ordered three more
so this #5/#3 was added a few weeks later with #4 (the final battery was again delayed and added a few days later).... then I started noticing the anomalies with #3 after an UV error 63.... (so to answer your question of how many batteries when it was #3 was both 4 and 5 and I'm not sure when the first undervoltage error occured at 4 batteries or at 5 batteries) it was after that happened a couple of times that I physically rearranged the batteries moving #3 to #5 position and shortly thereafter reassigning the address of #3 to #5....

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...

the Anomalies seem to continue in #5 position and address including this weirdness last night and this morning....
I think the disabling parm #27 "Overload Switch to Bypass" yesterday was why it changed behavior a bit when it hit the undervoltage #63 error just now and last night I presume and then recovered at 53v and switched back to battery....

All very fascinating....

Thinking I may just leave it as is for a bit (days?) and see if this behavior continues....the alarm is annoying but if it recovers that is okay.

I'm thinking if it does then maybe disabling battery #5 and test for a few days without it in the system...

DID IT! Switched out of bypass/charging and went back to battery at (I'm guessing) a momentary hit on 53V...
Interesting thing is that 53v is nowhere in the current settings. Param #5 is set at 57.6 .... wait though ....

I just noticed that param #35 "Battery Under Voltage recovery point" is set to 52.8 which is exactly when it switched back to battery! That must be it!
(and the disabling of #27 "Inverter overload switch to bypass" didn't trigger so it allowed the system to go back to battery rather than staying on bypass...at that's my guess)

and then he screamed at the top of his lungs, "I just want to understand what is happening!!!"

diy solar

diy solar
Back