diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

SGP Alisa (not Cindy) responded to my email concerning:
"SGP 10kw with two SGP rack batteries. Menu item 12 (Battery Overdischarge voltage). Manually set to 48.0 with the BMS input disconnected.
When I connect the BMS it goes to 0.
When I reconnect the BMS it stays at 0."

SGP response "When building BMS, Menu item 12 parameters are similar to item 58, and the inverter follows item 58."

So #58 = Discharging Alarm SOC. Answer does not make sense as #12 kills inverter output and #58 as I read it in the manual is only an alarm. Will send another email questioning the answer, but at least I got a response in less than 24 hours.

She even included as attachments the Pylontech and PACE BMS communications protocols I requested.
Movement but really slow.

FTFY= fixed that for you hahaha
I knew that one but my old addled brain had to google it. Pttttt! :)
I may go USER... we'll see... I'm not totally unhappy with the what happened last night and this morning... it went to grid to charge the batteries and then switched back to batteries. That's great. The only mystery is why (I'm looking at you #5!) it did it in the first place.

Currently PV is hitting 4.6kw input woo-hoo!

I may disable that battery #5 and see what happens when the SOC drops again...
I'm still thinking something is F*cked with it, but there ain't no way Sungold is gonna replace it....

Last edited:
Those were new panels, I take. 35F probably helps. You are getting the rated power!! I thought that was impossible!!

I am getting usually 1/2, or less. But my panels are old.

My arrays:

An array of 12*260 has never produced more than 2200W, IIRC

Another array of 19*260 brings 2200W, probably because flat. Hopefully better in summer.

1 string of 20*125W produces right now 6kWh a day.. probably 1500W in the sun

1 string of 20*125W .. All factors identical to the previous one.. 4kWh a day.. I am guessing 1kW output in sun. That's 1000/2500=40%!

Check out the photo below. The red string consistently delivers 1/3 more power than the blue string. Near perfect south orientation. No shadow ever except from a bird, helicopter or commercial aircraft. Na scratch that. They don't fly that low. All new wiring in 2019. No visible panel damages anywhere. I even washed them.

These 125W panels are 20 years old.

I probably should replace them? They go into separate inverters.

20240110_111616.jpg

... User.... User... User ?
Setting 04 - 48V or higher
05 ~53V
08 - USER
09 - 55.2V - 55.6V
10 - 90 - 120 minutes
11 - 54.8V
12 - 44V
13 - 10 seconds or so
14 - 48V
15 - 40V or higher
16 - disabled!
21 - disabled
22 - disabled
32 - SLA
Thanks for posting this. I think it would be wise if we all posted our inverter settings into the thread and compared. I will do that when I get home

Last edited:
Alisa seems to respond much faster than Cindy:
My email:
My concern is that menu item 12 does not return to the manually set value if the inverter loses communications with the batteries as do several other battery related settings.

If I manually set menu item 9 for example to something significantly different than what the BMS reports. I can see this value revert to the manual setting if I disconnect the BMS and revert to the BMS setting once I reconnect the BMS.

In addition, menu item 12 will turn off inverter output whereas (according to the manual) menu item 58 is just an alarm setting and does not turn off inverter output.

Since the inverter cannot determine battery state of charge but can only really monitor battery voltage it makes more sense for the inverter to respond to battery voltage issues rather than state of charge.

SGP response:
If you don't build BMS between the inverter and battery, you can try to set the inverter back to default status, here is the step:
Only connect the inverter to the battery, and press the inverter (up and down) button simultaneously for more than 3 seconds, the inverter will make a beeping sound or a white frame will appear. Then turn off the inverter and restart it.
Please kindly note that the setting of parameters should follow the following principles
【15】<【12】<【04】<【14】<【35】<【37】<【05】<【09/11】

I will have to look up each of these settings to see if the answer makes sense. Time to quite so I can go enjoy some 18 year old scotch.

My email:
My concern is that menu item 12 does not return to the manually set value if the inverter loses communications with the batteries as do several other battery related settings.

If I manually set menu item 9 for example to something significantly different than what the BMS reports. I can see this value revert to the manual setting if I disconnect the BMS and revert to the BMS setting once I reconnect the BMS.

In addition, menu item 12 will turn off inverter output whereas (according to the manual) menu item 58 is just an alarm setting and does not turn off inverter output.

Since the inverter cannot determine battery state of charge but can only really monitor battery voltage it makes more sense for the inverter to respond to battery voltage issues rather than state of charge.

SGP response:
If you don't build BMS between the inverter and battery, you can try to set the inverter back to default status, here is the step:
Only connect the inverter to the battery, and press the inverter (up and down) button simultaneously for more than 3 seconds, the inverter will make a beeping sound or a white frame will appear. Then turn off the inverter and restart it.
Please kindly note that the setting of parameters should follow the following principles

I will have to look up each of these settings to see if the answer makes sense. Time to quite so I can go enjoy some 18 year old scotch.

@Lighthouse Beacon DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT doing this even for a second. Leave it alone :)

Undocumented functions! Not as if the manual should be considered "documentation".

I wonder if those adventures could void the warranty.

I gave my thumbs-up for posting it, but I don't like the content much.
Yes I had posted earlier about this "Reset to Factory" action.
I have not tried it myself but have threatened to a few times.

Not sure what those brackets and numbers and symbols even mean in @marionw 's response from Alisa.

from Alisa:
"
"
Anyone?

Last edited:
My email:

SGP response:

(response time definitely depends on TOD you send the email as has been noted by I think @42OhmsPA ...

Note that this is typical of all the responses I've gotten -- 'she' DID NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION. Just told you how to Reset to Factory.

Last edited:
Undocumented functions! Not as if the manual should be considered "documentation".

I wonder if those adventures could void the warranty.

I gave my thumbs-up for posting it, but I don't like the content much.
Just as Opening up and Measuring Voltages and etc as they instructed @Lighthouse Beacon to do.... Completely Useless Customer Support and Warranty Fulfillment!

Yes I had posted earlier about this "Reset to Factory" action.
I have not tried it myself but have threatened to a few times.

Not sure what those brackets and numbers and symbols even mean in @marionw 's response from Alisa.

from Alisa:
"
"
Anyone?

[15] means setting 15

Set 15 first, then 12, then 04, then 14 etc

Or exactly in reverse, as the < sign could mean lower priority. So setting 12 could override 15. And 04 could modify 12, which in turn modified 15.

I have not changed anything yet except set it to 485 communication.

[15] means setting 15

Set 15 first, then 12, then 04, then 14 etc

Or exactly in reverse, as the < sign could mean lower priority. So setting 12 could override 15. And 04 could modify 12, which in turn modified 15.

I have not changed anything yet except set it to 485 communication.
What?
Set them to what? The default values in the manual or whatever user determined values you decide, or ??

This just doesn't make sense/mean anything to me.

This is my on-going issue with their (non) support. The Language Barrier! Most of what the tell you in the emails simple doesn't make sense or doesn't answer the (specific) question. ... also the lack of proper documentation.

diy solar

diy solar
Back