diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

With the PbmsTools (or SOKTool) tool, before you click the "Open" button for the serial port select "FF" in the "Pack" dropdown. Open the serial port and now you can click on each battery icon to view that battery. If you use the SOKTool software and enter "paceadmin" for the password you will have access to several other tabs on the main window. Select the "Multi Monitoring" tab, check the "Save to database" checkbox and the grid will start to fill with data from all the batteries, you can then click the "Export" button and save the data for all batteries to a spreadsheet. Now you can compare the batteries including individual cell voltages. You can download the SOKTools from the Current Connected website.

The Pbmstools with connect on the RS485B or RS485C ports as long as no battery address is set to 1 or battery 1 is not connected to either of these ports (battery 1 is communicating with the other batteries and this creates a communication conflict with the tool) The Pbmstools software talks the "PACE" protocol and the RS485A port talks the "Pylontech".

With your computer connected to the RS232 jack on the battery with address 1, just select "FF" for the "Pack" before opening the serial port.
I'll try some of this later this morning.... I'm got several different USB->RS485 cables and no idea if any of them are right or will work with that setup... will try some experimenting in a bit...

Damnit! I'm gonna figure this shit out! :)

BTW, yesterday I connected the two SGP batteries in the EG4 three battery rack to the six EG4 Lifepower4 batteries in the EG4 six battery rack. I have an EG4 ChargeInverter connected to the bus bars in the larger rack. Started charging all 8 batteries (the two SGP were at an SOC of 40% as shipped/received). I limited the ChargeInverters output 30 amps. As the batteries reached 90% SOC I limited the ChargeInverters Voltage to 53.5 Volts. Let this go last night and all batteries "floated" to a final fully charged state. All cells are balanced within 4 millivolts (except one EG4 which is 30 millivolts). In my setup since I am on the grid I can afford to let the batteries marinate on the charger for awhile while I futz with the communications and my software.

Screenshot 2024-01-12 104409.pngScreenshot 2024-01-12 104341.png

select "FF" in the "Pack" dropdown.
What does "FF" mean? Just whatever it is connected to? I notice that (using RS232 Console) I can select the appropriate pack number (in my case 1-5) and it will connect and read as well as doing the same if I select FF.

Also None of my USB -> RS485 cables will connect with any of the RS485 ports (a,b, or c) with or without chained comm to the other batteries. :(

BTW, yesterday I connected the two SGP batteries in the EG4 three battery rack to the six EG4 Lifepower4 batteries in the EG4 six battery rack. I have an EG4 ChargeInverter connected to the bus bars in the larger rack. Started charging all 8 batteries (the two SGP were at an SOC of 40% as shipped/received). I limited the ChargeInverters output 30 amps. As the batteries reached 90% SOC I limited the ChargeInverters Voltage to 53.5 Volts. Let this go last night and all batteries "floated" to a final fully charged state. All cells are balanced within 4 millivolts (except one EG4 which is 30 millivolts). In my setup since I am on the grid I can afford to let the batteries marinate on the charger for awhile while I futz with the communications and my software.

View attachment 188503View attachment 188504

Are you connected via the RS485 connectors? and if so what cable are you using/where did you get it? (as above mine don't seem to work with my SGP batteries)

I'd pull a list of cell voltages from the battery and see if it has a bad cell in it. If not to bad off then I'd balance that sucker on its own charger for a few days to get it leveled out so it will play nicely with the others.

If it has a bad cell get it replaced under warranty. They can't argue with if you show a bad cell reading.

I'd pull a list of cell voltages from the battery and see if it has a bad cell in it. If not to bad off then I'd balance that sucker on its own charger for a few days to get it leveled out so it will play nicely with the others.

If it has a bad cell get it replaced under warranty. They can't argue with if you show a bad cell reading.
Yeah, but I don't know that I can definitively show that it has a bad cell... When I've charged it fully all cells seem to match voltage-wise, but as it gets low there is one cell (5? 7?) that drops before the others... (same is true of a cell in battery #2 though)....

I'm going to do some checking/testing/etc today and see what if anything I can find out.

What does "FF" mean? Just whatever it is connected to? I notice that (using RS232 Console) I can select the appropriate pack number (in my case 1-5) and it will connect and read as well as doing the same if I select FF.

Also None of my USB -> RS485 cables will connect with any of the RS485 ports (a,b, or c) with or without chained comm to the other batteries. :(
FF causes the software to poll all the batteries so all you have to do is click on the battery number icon to see the battery data. In additon on the Multi Monitoring tab all batteries will be listed. If you select a specific Pack number in the dropdown the software only reads that pack. FF will read all of them and also sho you how many packs it found

Are you connected via the RS485 connectors? and if so what cable are you using/where did you get it? (as above mine don't seem to work with my SGP batteries)
Right now just the RS232 on the master battery. With FF I can see all batteries (just the two I have) and I assume what I see is what the master battery has pulled from each of the other batteries

Yeah, but I don't know that I can definitively show that it has a bad cell... When I've charged it fully all cells seem to match voltage-wise, but as it gets low there is one cell (5? 7?) that drops before the others... (same is true of a cell in battery #2 though)....

I'm going to do some checking/testing/etc today and see what if anything I can find out.
If one drops especially consistently lower than the others each discharge that is the definition of a bad cell.

You've taken the cover off that unit and visualized the cells right? Also, when I was talking to SG support along time ago about my OVP on my batt, they kept wanting me to take the cover off and give them the serial number of the module/cells in that unit.

It would be interesting to confirm that unit has the same serial/module numbers as the other working batteries, not a different cell/mod serial than the other units. I got the feeling from support that they had used different batteries in these units over the months/years and knew some were crap compared to others..

idk just thinking

You've taken the cover off that unit and visualized the cells right? Also, when I was talking to SG support along time ago about my OVP on my batt, they kept wanting me to take the cover off and give them the serial number of the module/cells in that unit.

It would be interesting to confirm that unit has the same serial/module numbers as the other working batteries, not a different cell/mod serial than the other units. I got the feeling from support that they had used different batteries in these units over the months/years and knew some were crap compared to others..

idk just thinking
Really? I ain't opening it up. I'll just get rid of this shit and get something that works.... Thinking about that or just getting rid of it period and saying lesson learned.

Don't give up just yet. Do you have a charger? I like the EG4 ChargeInverter because you set set the max output voltage and current. Isolate battery 5. Lmit the charge current and voltage (initially I use 55 volts and max 30 amps, but because yiu are charging one battery you might want to limit to 10-15 amps) and charge to about 85% SOC then set the CargeInverter voltage to 53.5 to 54.0, float the battery to where the PbmsTool show that battery is no longer charging (the screen on the battery will also tell you the current in or out), the ChargeInverts output current will slowly drop. It may take a day to "float" the battery to a complete full charge, this is where a little TLC and patience works.
Get an email from Alisa, not Cindy that allows you to take the cover off so you can take a picture of the cells. The email covers your A...s

So today I accidentally discovered where the SGP rack batteries show the SOC. I was not looking for it, thinking it will just be another nuisance to have that level of knowledge.. this is basically the reason why I did not get SA yet.

And sure, now I cannot stop thinking about the SOC numbers.

Battery #1 was purchased ~3 weeks after batteries #2-#5.

SOC / Cycle count
100% 2 (newer battery, also this is the master)
100% 5
92.11% 4
100% 4
100% 3 (how come this has one less cycle?)

It's overcast weather right now. Batteries 1,2,4,5 get about 1A and battery 3 gets 2A. I would have thought best to give 0A to the full ones and 6A to #3 but, there is probably a reason.

One other thought. Disconnect SA from the RS232 port on the master battery. Connect to your computer and run the SOKTools.exe, the PBmsTools won't work. Select FF for the Pack and then open the Serial Port. Select the Multi Monitoring tab and check the "Save to database" checkbox and just let it run. Once you are done just uncheck the "Save to database" checkbox and export the data. You will need to exit and then reload SOKTools. On the Export tab you will see a list of Date/Times that coorelate to each time you checked the "Save to database". Select the record(s) you want and export it. This should give a detailed record of each battery (cell volts, temps current and SOC) for the time period the "Save to database" was checked. You might be able to find the record(s) that point to the time of your inverter issue. While you have the spreadsheet open and on "Home" click on the "Format as Table" and select a color you like. You mave have to select the first row with the headers and change the font color. Once done with will be able to filter the data by "Pack No", save with a different file name.

You need to use the PbmsTools software to llok at the batteries and in particular the cell voltages. 100% SOC does not necessarily equate to a completely fully charged battery. Use FF for the Pack address, FF makes life easier, In addition note the "Charging" in the "System Status" block. Once the battery is "fully" charged (if in fact the battery is charging)

Battery 1:
Battery_1.png

Battery 2 (I have the breaker turned off to verify the status block was correct)

Battery_2.png

So today I accidentally discovered where the SGP rack batteries show the SOC. I was not looking for it, thinking it will just be another nuisance to have that level of knowledge.. this is basically the reason why I did not get SA yet.

And sure, now I cannot stop thinking about the SOC numbers.

Battery #1 was purchased ~3 weeks after batteries #2-#5.

SOC / Cycle count
100% 2 (newer battery, also this is the master)
100% 5
92.11% 4
100% 4
100% 3 (how come this has one less cycle?)

It's overcast weather right now. Batteries 1,2,4,5 get about 1A and battery 3 gets 2A. I would have thought best to give 0A to the full ones and 6A to #3 but, there is probably a reason.
They likely aren't full yet and the BMS soc is off. What is/was the voltage of cells / battery? Could also be resistance.

If I had to guess; The SGP batteries are SOK clones...
The screens on the batteries are the same. The ports are the same. They both use the same (with some modifications) software and it looks/feels the same. When you run the SOKTools software it says PbmsTools in the window title.

Might find some answers on the https://www.currentconnected.com/ website

Current Connected SOK battery manual

They likely aren't full yet and the BMS soc is off. What is/was the voltage of cells / battery? Could also be resistance.

1st battery
100% SOC
54.63V
cell voltages 3407mv to 3418mv

3rd battery
97.12% SOC
54.64V
cell voltages 3411mv to 3415mv (tighter interval)

Whatever it does, the situation has improved since my previous post 90 minutes ago.
#3 was at 92% SOC and now it's 97%.

#2,#4,#5 are all showing 100% as well.

I am so old now, almost grown-up. And know myself. I already spend too much time looking at these numbers. If I install anything on a PC, I won't get anything done any more. As long as things work, no tools or assistants for me, thank you.

However, I had a first instance of flickering LED ceiling lights when a blow dryer was turned on- on the same circuit. After about 6 seconds, the flickering stopped, blower still working.

If I had to guess; The SGP batteries are SOK clones...
The screens on the batteries are the same. The ports are the same. They both use the same (with some modifications) software and it looks/feels the same. When you run the SOKTools software it says PbmsTools in the window title.

Might find some answers on the https://www.currentconnected.com/ website

Current Connected SOK battery manual
They use the same BMS. It’d be nice to find out if they were the same internally as that would indicate the SGP batteries as user serviceable as well
We need someone to remove the lid and see!

diy solar

diy solar
Back