diy solar

diy solar

Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER

Was this relationship not true on yours or was some deviation causing a problem?

I agree it may be important, I'm still not certain though. I'm still learning all this and that and everything.

It seems important when going to user mode.

I will join the dark side tomorrow.

My imbalances are caused by a too high charging voltage, I was told.

Edit: just hooked up my first 240V circuit.. car charger. The inverter had to work hard for the first time. No smoke though.

It seems important when going to user mode.

I will join the dark side tomorrow.

My imbalances are caused by a too high charging voltage, I was told.

Edit: just hooked up my first 240V circuit.. car charger. The inverter had to work hard for the first time. No smoke though.

Oh Lordy...here we go. LOL! I was quite happy with the way my machine performed today as you may have seen. Need to get through a few full battery cycles and I'll feel better about it. I may go back and try closed loop after that but ... who knows...

Lots of options. Post in thread 'Install and Operation of the SUNGOLD 10KW 48V SPLIT PHASE SOLAR INVERTER' https://diysolarforum.com/threads/i...-split-phase-solar-inverter.71345/post-980170

I'd reduce charging voltage and max charging current to start.

Will they or will voltages drop to the flat part of the curve?

Don't feel bad, mine aren't either.
I agree that reducing the max charge voltage to keep cell 9 from spiking. my cell 9 was doin te same thing which is why I settled on 55.2 for bulk charge it gets to 100 soc fairly quick but stops the cell 9 from triping OVP. You can still get to full with less voltage but I found 55.2 gets there fairly quick while maintaining cell 9 from OVP.

This is all great info and great help guys! Thank You!

Things still running great here this morning, except Internet is still down! Tech is supposed to be here this morning...hopefully will get it resolved....I'm guessing it is a supply cable issue (and was caused by the wild temp swing of 50 degrees we had from Monday night -19 to Tuesday noon 32 when it stopped working). I'm actually thinking of going back/getting Comcast/Xfinity again as a backup. Depends on how things go this morning I guess. Not having Internet when your whole house pretty much depends on it is a PITA!

Well the Quantum Tech came and tested and went....cable division notified because break is beyond my connection...

I changed the battery type in the inverter setup from L16 to USER and made the changes to [9,11] as in row 5.

Reviewed the other settings and they had changed as in row 6, probably from change of battery type.

Still early in the day here (PST) and all cells are still perfectly balanced +/- 1mV.

Screenshot_20240118-100750_Sheets.jpg

third day of an internet outage

That would be worse for our family than the 7 day power outage last year. I don't think you can stream 3+ movies and play online games on mobile data. Those outages are the #1 reason why I started with solar. The local cable TV / internet provider was down for a while too. The horror. We sat at the dinner table and had to look at faces ?

That would be worse for our family than the 7 day power outage last year. I don't think you can stream 3+ movies and play online games on mobile data. Those outages are the #1 reason why I started with solar. The local cable TV / internet provider was down for a while too. The horror. We sat at the dinner table and had to look at faces ?
Yep...and the tech was here said it's a cable problem beyond my connection. Probably several more days. I hate it but I just resigned up with Comcast! ????

OFF TOPIC!!

Well... so....I signed up for the Comcast 'deal' $30/200Mbps which is the same as I'm signed up for with Quantum Fiber.....
I go pick up my modem for self-install and no sooner do I start than the Quantum cables guy shows up and says he's checking to see if it's fix and sure enough it's working... he found a break and fixed it .... so now..... I have both Quantum and Comcast.... but even together that's less than I was paying for much less speed from Comcast a couple of years ago!

For now I'll just keep both even though it seems a waste of money...the last three days didn't feel like that..

oh and my Unlimited Hotspot got 'used up in less than 1.5 days of careful usage. It is unlimited but after it is Used Up...speed drops to a few hundred Kbps...

Here are the results from changing the charge voltage from 56.4 to 55.2:

Batteries 1,2: BMS status OVP
Batteries 3,4,5: BMS status FULL

All batteries are 54.36V to 54.39V
SOC for all batteries is 99.96% to 99.98%

1st battery (OVP) cells are 66mV apart, somewhat better than yesterday (100mV):
20240118_160437.jpg20240118_160449.jpg20240118_160458.jpg20240118_160511.jpg

Note: again, it is #9!

I should just repeat with this setup tomorrow and see if it continues to improve?

View attachment 189760View attachment 189761View attachment 189762View attachment 189763

I should just repeat with this setup tomorrow and see if it continues to improve?
Hope so. I'll just say that my batteries have not thrown any errors in a while, but as far as balancing that didn't seem to happen til I kept charging after 100 %...

View attachment 189760View attachment 189761View attachment 189762View attachment 189763

Looks a bit better.
I would repeat.
If you're charging with high current you could also reduce the amperage when you see cells start to go above 3.4V. I normally cut it in half, keep a closer eye on what the cells are doing and keep dropping as needed.
One thing to keep in mind is the BMS won't read low currents, for example if I charge at 5A the current split between my 3 packs is only 1.666A, one of my BMS doesn't always read it even at a low SOC. (I could will have to try calibrating them.

If you're charging with high current you could also reduce the amperage when you see cells start to go above 3.4V

I don't have grid-tie yet, maybe never will.
So, strictly charging from pv. Which was on average 1kW, peak was 2.7kW.
Which would mean 20A for all five on average (4A each). Peak was ~10A per battery.

Tomorrow will be overcast/ rain again.

Batteries are looking a lot more better to me after a couple of full/near full charges in User Mode.

In other news because of my 'quality ground mount install' two of my 8 panels blew over yesterday in our wind gusts. All is good, but ... I really gotta be more careful about putting them down when wind is expected and hopefully soon (spring?) getting a more sturdy setup.

Screenshot 2024-01-19 015310.png

Have you guys ever been in SBU or Sol mode, and the sun comes up, and you see the inverter charging the batteries but your inverter stays in utility bypass? I waited to see how long it would do this and maybe their just wasn’t enough sun, but it filled the batteries all the way up and still stayed bypass.

I flipped the breaker of utilities OFF that go into the inverter and it clicked over to batts/solar, I turned the breaker on and it’s still using the sun to run the house. So that appears to have fixed it

Anyone ever seen this happen? It’s like it got lazy and forgot to leave bypass this morning @42OhmsPA
image.jpg

Yep. Seen exactly that. There is something about pv or pv and utility and not being able to charge unless in bypass... Would have to look it up....

Have you guys ever been in SBU or Sol mode, and the sun comes up, and you see the inverter charging the batteries but your inverter stays in utility bypass? I waited to see how long it would do this and maybe their just wasn’t enough sun, but it filled the batteries all the way up and still stayed bypass.

I flipped the breaker of utilities OFF that go into the inverter and it clicked over to batts/solar, I turned the breaker on and it’s still using the sun to run the house. So that appears to have fixed it

Anyone ever seen this happen? It’s like it got lazy and forgot to leave bypass this morning @42OhmsPA
View attachment 189882
I have not but I've been switching to grid manually based on weather.
I'll see if I can replicate... You let it hit low voltage setpoint to switch to grid but it doesn't go back when solar is available, correct?

Was the voltage or soc reached to go back to battery?

I have not but I've been switching to grid manually based on weather.
I'll see if I can replicate... You let it hit low voltage setpoint to switch to grid but it doesn't go back when solar is available, correct?

Was the voltage or soc reached to go back to battery?
It hit low voltage set point in SBU mode living off batts last night, switched to bypass 14% soc , morning came charged batts on bypass still and went to 100% on batts by 11am, inverter showed batts at 100% SOC and stayed in bypass, good sun coming in, never switched off utility bypass. I remember my old unit doing this sometimes also, rare.. but it does it. Needs a nudge to leave bypass

It hit low voltage set point in SBU mode living off batts last night, switched to bypass 14% soc , morning came charged batts on bypass still and went to 100% on batts by 11am, inverter showed batts at 100% SOC and stayed in bypass, good sun coming in, never switched off utility bypass. I remember my old unit doing this sometimes also, rare.. but it does it. Needs a nudge to leave bypass
You're in Closed Comm mode right?

Interesting.

I will try to replicate. What are your values for 05 and 62?

diy solar

diy solar
Back